Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any way to change the ecu from auto to manual transmission?  (Read 7606 times)
tompetty

« on: April 29, 2015, 01:40:24 PM »

I just rewrote my 95040 bin file on a used ecu I purchased to replace the bad stock one. The car runs fine but now is throwing a p162 code. It is a can-bus transmission error. Turns out the new ecu is for an auto and my car is a manual. Is there anyway to change this in the ecu using a similar process as the 95040 bin change? I don't have VCDS or anything like that at my disposal and if all possible I'd like to do it myself and not spend $100 or so at the local shop. Any insight would be great. Thanks!
ddillenger

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 01:42:06 PM »

Flash the ecu with the appropriate file. Post the ecu number and I will upload it.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
tompetty

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 08:50:09 AM »

Flash the ecu with the appropriate file. Post the ecu number and I will upload it.

That would be great, thanks! 021 906 018 is what I believe to be the ecu number.
themightyquinn

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 09:32:56 AM »

That would be great, thanks! 021 906 018 is what I believe to be the ecu number.

I'm curious what if you're working with a car that doesn't have a straight across manual equivalent?  I've got a US spec '05 TDI Passat that I want to convert to a manual transmission.  I'm not too familiar with the euro market, but I get the impression that they didn't get that combo (1.9L instead of 2.0 BHW in US).  Is there a way to take just the manual transmission settings?

Additionally the ECU looks at the speed in gear to determine whether to engage cruise control, so I'd need to give it the exact ratios for the transmission I'm using, right?  Seems a bit like a needle in a haystack. 

Any help would be appreciated,  I've searched, but most of the info seems geared towards the ME7 stuff, not the EDC16

Thanks!
tjwasiak

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 10:38:13 AM »

I'm curious what if you're working with a car that doesn't have a straight across manual equivalent?  I've got a US spec '05 TDI Passat that I want to convert to a manual transmission.  I'm not too familiar with the euro market, but I get the impression that they didn't get that combo (1.9L instead of 2.0 BHW in US).  Is there a way to take just the manual transmission settings?

Please post exact ECU number you are using - perhaps it is possible to find different engine code running similar injector/turbo setup which was available with manual gearbox.
Lyonz

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 08:44:44 AM »

Hi ddillenger, I have the same problem with my project (A4 Quattro, R32T engine with M.1.1)
My ecu is one auto transmission file, and my gearbox from S4 B5 is MT (transmission error).
Possible to change it?
ddillenger

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 11:59:52 AM »

Hi ddillenger, I have the same problem with my project (A4 Quattro, R32T engine with M.1.1)
My ecu is one auto transmission file, and my gearbox from S4 B5 is MT (transmission error).
Possible to change it?

Yes. That is pre-ST10, so it can be crossflashed with the appropriate manual file without fucking with the MPC.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
Mechsoldier

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 02:22:27 PM »

Have you guys tried just coding it to be a manual with VCDS? Most of the automatic to manual conversions I've done the ECM has taken the coding no problem. About the only ones I can think of that wouldn't were a Jatco transmission 1.8t Jetta, which has a ECM that just will not take the coding, and I think maybe an Allroad, and the RS6 manual transmission conversion we did, which wasn't available as a manual transmission.

diagnosticator

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 03:38:04 AM »

Have you guys tried just coding it to be a manual with VCDS? Most of the automatic to manual conversions I've done the ECM has taken the coding no problem. About the only ones I can think of that wouldn't were a Jatco transmission 1.8t Jetta, which has a ECM that just will not take the coding, and I think maybe an Allroad, and the RS6 manual transmission conversion we did, which wasn't available as a manual transmission.

Almost everyone seems unaware of simply re-coding the ECU with VCDS with the manual transmission selection available in the coding options.  

C00,Engine (J220) Coding

C01,000?x: CAN-Databus
C02,+1 = Brake Electronics (ABS)
C03,+2 = Airbag
C04,000x?: Transmission
C05,1 = Manual Transmission
C06,3 = Automatic Transmission

Example: ECU coding value 00033 Automatic transmission.

ECU coding value 00031 Manual transmission.

Ref: VCDS Label File 021-906-018-AFP.lbl
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 04:16:42 AM by diagnosticator » Logged
tjwasiak

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 10:25:02 AM »

There are some ECUs which could not be recoded as sometimes VAG used different ECUs for same engine for automatic and manual transmissions... Also there were/are cars which did not have manual transmissions from factory.
ddillenger

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 11:16:20 AM »

Almost everyone seems unaware of simply re-coding the ECU with VCDS with the manual transmission selection available in the coding options.  

C00,Engine (J220) Coding

C01,000?x: CAN-Databus
C02,+1 = Brake Electronics (ABS)
C03,+2 = Airbag
C04,000x?: Transmission
C05,1 = Manual Transmission
C06,3 = Automatic Transmission

Example: ECU coding value 00033 Automatic transmission.

ECU coding value 00031 Manual transmission.

Ref: VCDS Label File 021-906-018-AFP.lbl

It's not that simple. Most of these binaries don't have variant coding.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
_nameless

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 12:40:01 AM »

Tdi's only ones that seem to

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
nbdiy

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 03:26:47 PM »

It's not that simple. Most of these binaries don't have variant coding.

If its only about to get rid off the TCU-Error: On my RS6-Ecu I added my whish-coding to vartab, changed can-bits and Can-Coding for Transmission.
Now the Ecu is coded to Manual and I donĀ“t have the TCU-Error anymore...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: