Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 34
Author Topic: Logging ME7 fast and flexible => ME7Logger  (Read 464706 times)
setzi62

« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2011, 09:35:02 AM »

Also, if I sent you an FTDI cable to test with, do you think we'd be able to get some "better" FTDI support?  I've tried using the FTDI mode but it randomly craps out here and there and I know you mentioned not having a cable... so I figured I could donate to the cause and help you get one. Cheesy
Thanks for the offer, but I just ordered one. Unfortunately it will take till october until it arives
(the shop maintainer is on vacation, this info appeared after buying the thing ...).

So you are saying with ftdi mode you could open your interface and connect to the ecu,
then connection breaks down during logging? That would be more than I had expected.
Do you have some logs of the screen output of such occurences? Also, is it working more
reliable when using the VCP driver or do you face the same instabilities?

setzi62

« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2011, 09:42:04 AM »

Nyet stated there were linux binaries available for Me7logger. Can I get the located for them? Trying to reduce the number of systems I have spread all over and if i could do this all under linux vs wind0ze, that would be fantastic

thanks
Tory
No, there exists currently no linux variant of the logger. A port is on the todo list,
but this will not be done in short time, sorry.
tobz

« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2011, 12:43:05 PM »

Also, if I sent you an FTDI cable to test with, do you think we'd be able to get some "better" FTDI support?  I've tried using the FTDI mode but it randomly craps out here and there and I know you mentioned not having a cable... so I figured I could donate to the cause and help you get one. Cheesy
Thanks for the offer, but I just ordered one. Unfortunately it will take till october until it arives
(the shop maintainer is on vacation, this info appeared after buying the thing ...).

So you are saying with ftdi mode you could open your interface and connect to the ecu,
then connection breaks down during logging? That would be more than I had expected.
Do you have some logs of the screen output of such occurences? Also, is it working more
reliable when using the VCP driver or do you face the same instabilities?

In FTDI mode, it will commence logging... and just randomly die.  The little period "ticks" will stop ticking and I'll have to Ctrl-C and try again.  It's short of random but it almost always dies within 2 - 4 ticks.

In normal VCP mode it works fine aside from my "error -8" issues which I'll eventually try to address at some point.
ejg3855

« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2011, 07:58:58 PM »

awesome work. Need a little guide DIY, I may write one if I get it to work well and some time.

GUI would be nice for simple use.
setzi62

« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2011, 08:05:16 AM »

In FTDI mode, it will commence logging... and just randomly die.  The little period "ticks" will stop ticking and I'll have to Ctrl-C and try again.  It's short of random but it almost always dies within 2 - 4 ticks.

In normal VCP mode it works fine aside from my "error -8" issues which I'll eventually try to address at some point.

I found a problem in the code for FTDI cables, this led to a blocked program if the ecu didn't
send any more data. I have attached just the updated ME7Logger executable with the fix.
Using this fix, the FTDI mode should behave like the VCP mode, so instead of a hanging program
you will now see also "error -8" (timeouts) if the ecu stops sending data.

The "error -8" (timeouts) are a second problem, which lies outside the logger itself in my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 03:45:19 AM by setzi62 » Logged
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2011, 12:28:57 PM »

Are you setting the timeouts for the FTDI device for sending and receiving when you open the device?

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
j2mc

« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2011, 07:13:32 PM »

Just an FYI, I couldn't get a connection at all using ftdi mode, but works great using the default comm mode.  Which made me curious, what is the advantage of ftdi vs vcp in this case? Sorrybif it's a dumb question, I'm still new at this.

2.7t stg2
setzi62

« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2011, 05:59:58 AM »

Are you setting the timeouts for the FTDI device for sending and receiving when you open the device?
The problem was I "forgot" that FT_Read is blocking and therefore the FTDI code
would have waited forever if no further data was coming.
I set the timeouts before reading now, so the FTDI code works same as the serial port code.
setzi62

« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2011, 06:06:19 AM »

Just an FYI, I couldn't get a connection at all using ftdi mode, but works great using the default comm mode.  Which made me curious, what is the advantage of ftdi vs vcp in this case? Sorrybif it's a dumb question, I'm still new at this.
I am not sure if the FTDI mode has big advantages compared to the VCP mode. I was hoping it
would give an enhancement regarding the reachable communication speed (in terms of delays,
not baudrate) over the VCP mode.
The FTDI mode makes it easier to locate the cable, you don't have to look up a com port number.
j2mc

« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2011, 05:05:28 PM »

Just have to say excellent work setzi!  I just logged 40 variables at 20 samples per second for over 25 minutes...worked perfect, my csv log file is 14.5 MB!

2.7t stg2
iznogoud

Learning junkie

« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2011, 08:03:15 PM »

Wow! I am in awe. And I cannot wait to try it out. Many thanks setzi. Looking at the contents of the .zip file, it looks so unix, I find it surprising that you had not got it working on the linux side first!

Now all we have to do is convince Nye to make an ECUxPlot that works with Gnuplot and we are almost fully organic.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 08:05:09 PM by iznogoud » Logged

Audi S4 B5 2000 6sp Cactus Green
Audi A4 B6 Avant 1.8T 2001.5 5sp Santorin Blue
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2011, 08:30:15 PM »

What do you want to do with gnuplot?

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
iznogoud

Learning junkie

« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2011, 08:37:21 PM »

What do you want to do with gnuplot?

Make a data extractor and manipulator that will drop graphs immediatelly with gnuplot scripts. Like what happens with excel and the usual logs that we see posted all the time.

I use gnuplot all the time and the ability to create plots with a script and drop the files in any format I want (from within the script) is great.

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2011, 11:04:22 PM »

Ah. I can probably do that.

Thing is, it would be easier to just have ECUxPlot automatically drop a series of graphs... also, not a lot of people use gnuplot.

But i'll think about the gnuplot idea, its a good one.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
iznogoud

Learning junkie

« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2011, 08:27:15 PM »

Happy to report this things is working extremely well. This is huge for the community. I will do what I can to provide feedback and improvements.

Found a little problem with it. When invoked the first time it logs fine. Keeping the ignition on and trying to start a new logging session does not initialize properly and logging does not start. Although it is not really a problem to turn the engine off and on, which makes it work fine again, I thought setzi would like to know.

The errors I encountered were: "Read ECU ID's ....failed" The one-time error of failing to connect with an appropriate timeout may have been unrelated.

My setup for this test was: WindowsXP untouched since 2006, Cygwin untouched since 2006, Abox on MY2000 (late model) in which I had flashed the Abox file ending in 345 (from the stock ECU files of Nefmoto). I will try to run it from the linux side with Wine.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 34
  Print  

Jump to: