Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Replacing Bosch HFM2 MAF with HFM5  (Read 9116 times)
tjwasiak

« on: June 05, 2015, 06:35:40 AM »

I would like to kindly ask if anyone ever tried to replace Bosch HFM2 MAF sensor with newer HFM5 sensor using stock Motronic ECU? I am aware that I would need to rewire the plug (adding 5V reference voltage) and replace MAF scaling within ECU (which will reduce usable scale from 0-5V to 1-5V as HFM5 below 1V shows reverse flow) but I am not sure if it will work correctly. I am asking because I am hitting "MAF voltage high" DTC around peak power engine speed and I am going to do some more intake/exhaust modifications which should improve flow through the engine even more. I do not want to replace housing with bigger one as it would be hard to build proper intake for such a housing. HFM5 sensors has bigger measuring range so it should resolve my issue.
eliotroyano

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 12:20:07 PM »

tjwasiak I think that would work, but some tweaks would need to be done. I have not do it, just I remember my M383 to ME7 conversion plans. In terms of wiring here I left an info I collect in the past. Other case is software and maps. As you mention HFM5 have reverse flow measuring capacity, that is 0-1V. Other thing to take in account is that HFM5 linearization map is 512 size vs 256 for HFM2. Also offsets are different. Just my comments.....
tjwasiak

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 12:29:15 PM »

I know it all. It is not a problem to extend 256x1 map to 512x1 if your ECU has sufficiently large EPROM/flash. The bigger issue would be to adapt software to use it but it still should be doable (just have to use 9 bit counter so 2 bytes instead of stock 1 byte). My ECU could do 10bit ADC so I think it could be done... For now I am still looking for different solution to "MAF voltage high" DTC but it seems I will have to make custom intake without part of variable length intake path. It seems the only way around my problem is to use BMW V8 HFM2 MAF housing (Bosch 0280217800) or get custom housing made.
eliotroyano

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 12:38:39 PM »

I would like to kindly ask if anyone ever tried to replace Bosch HFM2 MAF sensor with newer HFM5 sensor using stock Motronic ECU?

Sorry if about if I do not understand, are you going from HFM2 to HFM5? I mean an HFM5 MAF with an old DBC ECU like M38x/M592???
prj

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 01:13:38 PM »

No issue doing this whatsoever.
If you are hitting such DTC's the MAF is too small, install a bigger MAF.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
tjwasiak

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 01:34:47 PM »

Yes I would like to change type of MAF keeping older ECU (it is not even VAG car and it does have pure 8bit Motronic). I know it is easier just to swap the housing but stock intake in my car is built so it is next to impossible - it should be possible to connect MAF to air filter (but will have to find a way to mount IAT sender in silicone 90* elbow) but it will not be possible to connect MAF output with rest of intake system which I would like to keep stock at least for now.
The idea to move to HFM5 MAF came from the fact that 1.8T 3" MAF is capable of measuring up to ~1050kg/h (at least according to stock TT 8N0906018CB file I checked). I have S3 MAF housing and it will perfectly fit into my intake and I just wanted to know if despite the known issues it is going to work.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: