Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hello guys from UK!  (Read 3249 times)
jamiebrowncow

« on: July 24, 2015, 10:17:06 PM »

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to drop in a say Hi and thanks for all the hard work you guys have put in, over four years ago much of this was cracked, it is very new to me!

My name is Jay and I will, between building a bad-ass reef aquarium and working my backside off, be slowly getting around to rebuilding my beloved 1990 mk2 VW golf driver.

I have already done a couple sweet engine conversions on some small British hot-hatch cars, but this Golf was my first venture into the VAG scene and after 8 years it is still with me, albeit off the road, some welding, and pretty much renewing all the bearings and brakes, the old girl shall breath again.

I have also had a bit of history with computing, it was another love of my life at one point, so I am no stranger to the usual requirements of understanding needed here, including hex editing, flashing, data links and their protocols, eeproms, microcontrollers such as atmel, and other bits and bobs...

I have already researched, and almost have down to a tee, the CE2 wiring system and can pretty much identify any A2 generation part by eye, and as I delved more into understanding the requirements for wanting to fit a 1.8T 20v engine into my Golf, which would otherwise be styled and worked upon in as "OEM" a fashion as possible, I soon realized it would be very suitable to have the immobilizer deleted from what ever OEM ECU I would end up using to run the engine, and my first thought was a reputable tuning company in England who specialize in VAG tuning.

Then I remembered who I am, and thought, why am I subbing out an effort I could achieve quite easily, to somebody who wants to charge me a small fortune, and not tell me how they did it.

After a few weeks of searching I ended up here, and I now consider this place likely the epitome of all of the knowledge my local tuner has...

So I have been lurking for a while, now my rebuild on my golf is nearing much closer, I am hunting a 1.8T engine and ECU, with the help of teh netz and this website, I am already settled with using an AUM engine, with its DBW for all its benefits (ESP, Launch control, cruise control etc) and the matching 06A 906 032 HJ ECU.

I will likely end up buying a mk4 VW Golf MY2002 - MY2003 1.8T GTI as these cars have these engines and ECUs in them, with a k03 turbo and 150bhp to start with I will be more than happy.

I don't intend to make a track car, so I don't plan on uprating internals or anything, I understand the AGU is more robust, my determination to tweak a few maps is much greater than ending up with so much power I need to rebuild an AUM..

So, I will lurk a little while longer, until I get stuck, but so far I feel I will be able to at least do an immo3 delete on the aforementioned ECU with Argdubs tool (god bless you!) and also I will be able to pull a bin and investigate..

I am trying to soak up teh funktionrammen, also going over some general ecu logic basics, and even finding myself re-learning some basic physics and logic control methods like closed loop, etc..

I am astounded and a little abhorred by how much effort has been placed in this forum on simply guiding people how to execute command lines, I really hope many of those did come to put this time to good use, instead of letting their minds wonder to another hobby in life, the efforts and time you guys have put into this forum and the software and disassembly is the main reason why I just wanted to drop in and say, thank you.

Amazing work guys.

It is my pleasure to have found this place and its offerings to those who are willing to understand the subject.

Peace.

Jay
turboat

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 01:19:28 AM »

Hey.

Mk2 20v works well, transforms how they drive.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: