Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: AVK V6 3.0 2003 8E0 909 559E ECU tuning thread  (Read 57478 times)
mister t

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2015, 02:26:48 AM »

NOTE I HAVE MOVED THE BINARY TO POST 1 FOR EASIER REFERENCE

I added 3 degrees of timing to the optimal timing areas (12x16) and between 3-8 degrees to the 11x16 KFZW areas. I also found that I was pulling timing above 6000+ RPM and about 70% load, so I left the uppermost RPM areas of the maps alone and subtracted one degree of the timing I added for the surrounding cells.

As indicated, I also changed the intake cam timing. In a nutshell, I extended the intake advance. I also found that extending the long runner intake manifold configuration to about 4200-4400 RPM helped torque production in the areas where you drive the most. 

I edited the KFPED maps to provide better throttle response, rescaled KFMOIP (left the map values alone), added some to the high load KFMIRL values and I richened up the peak torque ares to about 0.84 lambda and dialed it back to about 0.87 as I approach redline.

Hardware on my vehicle:

2003 Audi A4, Quattro, 6 speed manual
-2.5 in catless downpipes
-2.25 in X pipe exhaust with straight through resonators and mufflers
-Zingo mod on the airbox as well as additional ducting into the airbox via the fog light

Environmental factors:
-ambient temps 0-10C
-elevation 2500-3500 ft (approx 13.1 to 12.5 PSI ambient atmospheric pressure)
-low humidity
-94 Octane E10 fuel used *******

WARNING!!!!!l As indicated, this is to be considered a Beta file and under NO circumstances should you assume that it is safe to use on your vehicle in it's present form. It is the end user's responsibility to verify that the settings in this file will be safe for use on your own vehicle.

WARNING!!!! I also had a P1685 (or whatever it was) EEPROM checksum error with a previous version. I believe that I worked it out as I haven't had that problem with this revision, but be aware that it is a possibility. I think I resolved the issue, check the bottom post for the explanation.

WARNING!!! You should only consider using this file unaltered if you have a low restriction exhaust. Any exhaust gas reversion resulting from exhaust restrictions may cause detonation and engine damage with the timing levels I have requested.

If you do have the stock cats in place, I would advise pulling 2-3 degrees out of all the timing tables to start (or more) you can always use the original binary I posted  if the motor will take the timing. However I wouldn't advise just throwing the file on and running it on a bone stock motor.

That said, the cam timing, KFPED and Lambda changes should be OK on a stock motor. But as I said above, proceed with caution in any event if you don't have a full exhaust or if you're close to sea level.

Factors to consider with this particular file is that the timing was set for cold, dry and relatively high elevation. As well, I have access to 94 octane fuel. If you live in a hot, humid, low elevation area without access to 94 octane fuel, you should consider dropping the timing back to stock, or near stock levels raising it from there.

Also, I am offering this file under the assumption that the end user possesses enough knowledge to assess whether or not it is appropriate for use on his/her vehicle. If you use this file, LOG LOG and LOG!!!!

Anyway, enough with the legal talk, hope y'all can find some use for this:

EDIT: PLEASE BE AWARE THAT I AM PUTTING THIS FILE OUT IN THE HOPES THAT WHOEVER USES IT WILL BE WILLING TO OFFER THEIR OWN FEEDBACK AND OBSERVATIONS WITH THE INTENT TO IMPROVE ON IT.

********EDIT, I realized that I had altered the wrong byte with my P1681 workaround. that would explain the intermittent checksum issue I was having. I have included the revised tune with the proper byte altered at address 33A90 (change 2D to 0D). IF YOU HAVE THE ORIGINAL TUNE, CHANGE THE BYTE AT 35E7A BACK TO 2D FROM 0D (o rjust highlight it and click "original value"******
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 01:50:26 AM by mister t » Logged
hopsis

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2015, 03:19:03 AM »

Nothing to do with responsibilty. I think the point was that this forum is trying and is meant to be a place of learning and innovation. It wouldn't serve anyone if this became a place people just come to download readily modded files without understanding or learning anything. Well it would maybe serve the individual who downloaded the file just until they flashed a file that wasn't checksummed or broke their engine.
mister t

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2015, 09:47:04 AM »

Ahh, gotcha, I guess that would serve them right, wouldn't it.

Lol, maybe I'll have to post in a random "poison doughnut" file here and there to keep people on their toes Wink

But I guess I'm working under the observation that this forum is far enough off the beaten path that whoever actually downloads the file will be doing so with the intention of trying it out and offering their own feedback and suggestions for improving on what's already been done.

With that said, I fear that maybe I'm a little too optimistic in that respect.

For all the people who have downloaded the definition file I've been working on, I haven't seen a lot of feedback or additions to it. (although I know there are a few members who have, like metronet so props to them for doing so).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 09:54:47 AM by mister t » Logged
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2015, 10:19:40 AM »

Nobody is going to be deleting self tuned files. The policy is against posting commercial files.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
mister t

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2015, 10:32:59 AM »

Awesome, thanks Nyet Smiley
mister t

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2015, 02:55:14 PM »

So, anyone had a chance to try this tune out?
mister t

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2015, 03:09:20 PM »

Also, I have a question about the exhaust cam timing.

I know that the stock programming for the exhaust cam only has it functioning in a binary mode (i.e. either 0 degrees or 22 degrees).

However, I've been looking at the documentation for VVT systems and I can't see any reason why the exhaust cams couldn't be made to be infinitely variable between 0-22 deg.

As far as I can tell the exhaust cam phasing solenoids and the cam adjuster design is the same as the intake cam (albeit just a smaller range).

I know there is a value that you can change from 1 to 2 (sumode?) to tell the ECU to function in adjustable mode vs binary on/off.

If you changed that value, could I then alter the exhaust cam timing maps to phase in the exhaust cam earlier in the RPM range in order to take advantage of the enhanced scavenging from my catless exhaust? 
ddillenger

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2015, 04:12:36 PM »

Also, I have a question about the exhaust cam timing.

I know that the stock programming for the exhaust cam only has it functioning in a binary mode (i.e. either 0 degrees or 22 degrees).

However, I've been looking at the documentation for VVT systems and I can't see any reason why the exhaust cams couldn't be made to be infinitely variable between 0-22 deg.

As far as I can tell the exhaust cam phasing solenoids and the cam adjuster design is the same as the intake cam (albeit just a smaller range).

I know there is a value that you can change from 1 to 2 (sumode?) to tell the ECU to function in adjustable mode vs binary on/off.

If you changed that value, could I then alter the exhaust cam timing maps to phase in the exhaust cam earlier in the RPM range in order to take advantage of the enhanced scavenging from my catless exhaust? 

On later vehicles, it is in fact done this way. In yours, you are limited by the mechanical function of your vvt solenoid. It's either on or off. It cannot be modulated.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
mister t

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2015, 12:06:20 AM »

Really, so what's the difference between the solenoids on the 3.0 and the later models? As far as I've ever been able to tell, all solenoids are fundamentally on/off switches which modulate pressure based on pulse width.

I would think that as long as whatever ECU is sending the signal can modulate it, that any solenoid could be made to function in PWM mode.

Not saying that you're wrong, I'm just trying to figure out where the hardware limitation is.
Jim_Coupe

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2015, 07:57:15 AM »

Really, so what's the difference between the solenoids on the 3.0 and the later models? As far as I've ever been able to tell, all solenoids are fundamentally on/off switches which modulate pressure based on pulse width.

I would think that as long as whatever ECU is sending the signal can modulate it, that any solenoid could be made to function in PWM mode.

Not saying that you're wrong, I'm just trying to figure out where the hardware limitation is.

Post some pics on intake and exhaust.. that would be nice to se how it looks like

E85oholic
cerips

« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2015, 09:53:12 AM »

Assuming this engine is the same as the ASN in self study programme 255 the solenoids allow or stop engine oil to the variable camshaft mechanism.

The inlet is adjusted continuously from 20 BTDC to 22 ATDC and the exhaust is adjusted through 22 degrees and is with on/off control.
mister t

« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2015, 10:35:10 PM »

Assuming this engine is the same as the ASN in self study programme 255 the solenoids allow or stop engine oil to the variable camshaft mechanism.

The inlet is adjusted continuously from 20 BTDC to 22 ATDC and the exhaust is adjusted through 22 degrees and is with on/off control.

Exactly.

So what I'm getting at though is that the MANNER in which both the continuous adjustment (intake) and the binary on/off adjustment (exhaust) operate should be dictated by how fast the solenoid switches on and off.

Think of having a fluorescent bulb above you. If someone flicks it off, the room is dark, they flip it on, the room is lit.

However, if the ballast is malfunctioning, it flickers really fast and the room looks dim. Not pitch black, but somewhere in between.

The effect is different, but the manner in which it is achieved is fundamentally the same.

So what I want to know is: is there a mechanical/electrical limitation in either 1) the solenoid body, 2) the cam phaser 3) the electrical leads, and/or 4) the HARDWARE in the ECU which would prevent it from modulating the exhaust cam solenoid to create phasing which falls in between 0 and 22 deg advance/retard?

If so, what is it and where? Also, is it possible to overcome that limitation by swapping the exhaust solenoid with an intake one (i.e .are they interchangeable?) and recoding the ECU adjust continuously between 0-22 degrees.  

OR, is it simply a matter of adjusting the ECU setting from on/off to continuous?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 10:37:06 PM by mister t » Logged
mister t

« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2015, 10:58:27 PM »

Post some pics on intake and exhaust.. that would be nice to se how it looks like

Heat wrapping to insulate the intact tract as well as bypassing the coolant line that keeps pumping the throttle body full of boiling water.

Ducting from the fog light to the airbox, I kept the OEM air duct as well.

***yes, I know it's ghetto lol, I just couldn't find a tapered silicon coupler the day I decided to do it. You could find one that looks a lot better for $30, easy fix. However I'm going to wager that the level of maturity in this forum would preclude any "home depot racing BS....  Wink***

1) a 90 deg 2 in plumbing elbow and threaded coupler

2) a 3 in to 2 in rubber transition (actually, a tapered silicon coupler would be best if you can fine one) and

3) some 3 in metal dryer ducting.  

Then, you pop out the lower fog light, run the ducting down from the airbox, secure it and VOILA! a second ram air entrance in a high pressure zone.

Before and after MAF readings (taken a few days apart, but the barometric and altitude corrections as well as ambient temps as measured by the ECU were pretty much identical between the samples) 7-8 g/sec on the top end and absolutely no losses.

Or, to put it another way, the airflow I was seeing at 10-15C was the same as I was logging at -15C during the winter months.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 11:03:54 PM by mister t » Logged
mister t

« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2015, 11:12:23 PM »

Stock exhaust with my 2.5 in downpipes

Mid section ***I replaced the crossover with a conventional Magnaflow one as I found that the Magnaflow one worked better than the crossover I fabricated***

Here's what it looks like all mounted. I know that it's sitting cockeyed, but I just didn't have the time to go back and re-do the bends/welds that came off the resonators. I may go back in and re-so them when I have the time, but for now I'm going to leave it as-is because doesn't make any difference from a functional perspective.

mister t

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2015, 12:41:19 AM »

As indicated in the post at the top of page 4, I had the wrong byte changed for the P1681 workaround, I have included a revised file that should avoid any further errors.

If you have the old tune, check the post with my file for instructions on how to remedy the error.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: