Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Why cant motronic controlled cars be fast?  (Read 39445 times)
Mechsoldier

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2017, 12:27:45 PM »

You probably shouldn't talk about that when you don't know difference between mhz and khz...

Also, processor speed has not mattered for knock detection for about 20 years now, due to how the algorithm works and how the integration is done over the signal in a separate DSP.
It baffles me how someone can type up so much bullshit without having any actual idea how things work.

If you read up further you'll see I quoted the correct 256mhz speed when talking about the Pi Innovo products.

Coming from the guy who essentially claims that motronic can sense knock as well as a modern Tricore ECM? There's absolutely gains to be had. The faster you can sample the more aggressively you can push it and know the safety systems can handle it.

Processor speed matters, PERIOD.

I gotta go, I'm trying to get in contact with the engineers at TI and tell them not to bother with this since it's not a problem, PRJ on Nefmoto says there's  plenty of power and there's no gains to be had trying to reduce the load on the IC.

mister t

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2017, 07:05:23 PM »

Meh, my ME7.1.1 V8 S4 Cabrio is pretty fast on the stock ECU...

Then again, Black Betty was definitely fast on her old M3.8 AEB prehistoic ECU.

Here, watch my unassuming German 4 Door 1998 Passat go from 130-200 km/hr in 7 seconds flat lol...

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=tBaXM5Fxg8k
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 07:11:11 PM by mister t » Logged
amd is the best

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2017, 08:41:07 PM »

Standalone can work and drive very well if tuned properly fwiw. I have two standalone cars that drive like oem with triple and quadruple the power output of the stock vehicle. I chose standalone because their factory ecu is ancient. Would I put standalone in my ME7 cars, I don't think so.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:51:52 AM by amd is the best » Logged

2012 Golf TDI
2001 Audi A4 2.8 30v Supercharged
1991 Audi 200 20v
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2017, 06:58:06 AM »

Of course most of what is being said in here is nonsense.

Talking about processor speeds, and all kinda of crap shows that some have no idea what they're talking about. None of that is an issue on anything from this century, processor speeds mean little to nothing.

Why someone would think that you cannot drive a car with a standalone normally (grandma argument) is laughable, same goes for part load driving that nye is talking about.  I mean come on.  Just because you haven't seen it done, doesn't mean it cannot be done and I don't see what one has to do with another.

You can tune a standalone car to drive just as smoothly as an ME7 or any OEM ECU car out there.  If you say otherwise you're just wrong.

SCHNELL ENGINEERING BLOG ·  STANDALONE ECUS · TUNING · DYNO · WIRING · PARTS · VEMS
Google Talk: NOTORIOUS.VR
n00bs start here: http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2017, 10:26:22 AM »

You can tune a standalone car to drive just as smoothly as an ME7 or any OEM ECU car out there.

Just as you "can" tune an ME7 car to be just as "fast" as a standalone car. Doesn't mean anything if 99% of the people posting opinions on the internet can't do it.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
rnagy86

« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2017, 11:12:12 AM »

Of course most of what is being said in here is nonsense.

Talking about processor speeds, and all kinda of crap shows that some have no idea what they're talking about. None of that is an issue on anything from this century, processor speeds mean little to nothing.

Why someone would think that you cannot drive a car with a standalone normally (grandma argument) is laughable, same goes for part load driving that nye is talking about.  I mean come on.  Just because you haven't seen it done, doesn't mean it cannot be done and I don't see what one has to do with another.

You can tune a standalone car to drive just as smoothly as an ME7 or any OEM ECU car out there.  If you say otherwise you're just wrong.

but ... but ... the guy has been an expert on an internet site so how dare you question him Grin
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2017, 11:19:19 AM »

Instead of talking about processor performance, sampling rates, etc. why not discuss the real issue.

1) boost
2) fuel
3) timing

Which of the three is making your standalone system "faster"?

Boost. Make sure you aren't over your pressure sensor, manifold pressure, and load limits.

If you can't because you are running 40psi, fine, go standalone.

Fuel. Nothing in ME prevents you from running whatever fueling strategy you like. If anything, it is more flexible than just about any standalone system.

Timing. Yes, ME has a ton of torque intervention systems, but imo, all of them are easily fixed such that ME will not intervene DURING WOT, which is all you really care about, because you still want all of the intervention there for part throttle.

The only exception is KR, which you can also easily detune (or even disable) in ME. However, doing so without detcans is really really dumb idea - something you'll need anyway if you go standalone and want to do KR.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:21:24 AM by nyet » Logged

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2017, 12:16:58 PM »

Just as you "can" tune an ME7 car to be just as "fast" as a standalone car. Doesn't mean anything if 99% of the people posting opinions on the internet can't do it.

Not that I'm surprised by your one sided views, but if you can't understand what I'm trying to say here then I don't even know why we're talking.

Nothing these days prevents someone from running ME and raising the limits or disabling parts of the ECU's load/intervention to a point where ME is neutered and not going to intervene, we all know that.  If you're going to do that you have ZERO advantages to having ME from a perspective of tuning and everything to gain from going to a standalone ECU.

We can all talk about this till we're blue in the face, and I have already said that currently there is nothing to prevent you from making power or going fast w/ ME at this point.  We can easily look to the unicorn Hannover S4 for that proof if you like.  Doesn't change the fact that almost EVERY other really fast S4 is/was running a standalone and not ME.

Maybe only 2-3 tuners in the world can make an S4 fast on ME.  Maybe your perception of power and fast is different from everyone else. Maybe this, maybe that...

We've seen plenty of S4's tuned some way or another on ME making 700-1000 hp over the years... rarely does it translate on the track, maybe I'm mistaken and maybe just maybe every guy with a 700 awhp S4 on ME just can't drive and everyone on a standalone making 100-200 awhp less going faster by a large margin is a better driver.  But I doubt that is the case.

You break it down to the 3 major adjustments made to the ECU, and you're right.  What you're not right about is that it's just that simple IMO to make sure there is no intervention while keeping most of the ECU intact.  

100's of maps have been modeled by Audi to reflect the STOCK parts on the 2.7T in the B5 S4, 100's of other maps have been modeled by Audi to make the car behave and drive in a certain way with these parts according to what Audi believed the character of the car should be.  Maybe I'm oblivious to the argument you're trying to make since I've never gone so far in completely disabling everything that makes ME, ME.  

oh and sorry, care to elaborate on how ME has a more flexible fueling strategy than just about any stand alone?  "Nothing is preventing you from running whatever fueling strategy you like?" LOL, oh really.  How about to start if you want to run SD or true flex fuel (and these are just two very basic, basic things related to fueling strategy) you have be be a master IDA pro and disassembler/programmer.  Most standalones allow you to choose between many fueling strategies by merely selecting options, that includes options that maybe you're not even aware of that are out there by the sounds of it.

At this point I think you need to relate to your own words:

Quote from: nyet
Doesn't mean anything if 99% of the people posting opinions on the internet can't do it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 12:23:11 PM by NOTORIOUS VR » Logged

SCHNELL ENGINEERING BLOG ·  STANDALONE ECUS · TUNING · DYNO · WIRING · PARTS · VEMS
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2017, 12:23:56 PM »

oh and sorry, care to elaborate on how ME has a more flexible fueling strategy than just about any stand alone?

I was specifically referring to MAF and gasoline, not SD or E85.

The rest you are still vague on.

What, exactly, are the limits you are referring too; especially WOT on a drag strip (please dont say "track" unless you mean it) which seems to be the only thing the 1000hp crowd cares about.

Literally the only one I can think of is the hardcoded load limit.

Fuel, boost, timing.

Which is the limiting factor, and why?

If blow through makes more power, why?

The only remaining issue I can think of is single bank O2, in which case there are obvious difficulties.

The whole point being, this "x is faster than y" crap is bullshit without details.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 12:26:43 PM by nyet » Logged

ECUx Plot

NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2017, 12:28:44 PM »

I was specifically referring to MAF and gasoline, not SD or E85.

What is so flexible about ME7's MAF fueling strategy that is better than one on a standalone?

The rest you are still vague on.

What, exactly, are the limits you are referring too; especially WOT, which seems to be the only thing the 1000hp crowd cares about.

My opinions (originally which now is 2+ years old) was based on the fact that everyone seems to be able to make dyno numbers, or heck even quick FATS times as both just involve going WOT in a single gear.

Yet racing involves much more then that, and while maybe you're thinking drag or road racing only includes 0 and 100% throttle applications, the transients that happen from shifting seem to IMO affect ME in ways that most don't realize.

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2017, 12:33:01 PM »

What is so flexible about ME7's MAF fueling strategy that is better than one on a standalone?

You can use the stock KR without needing detcans. Other than that, nothing. Just saying you can make it do what you want.

Yet racing involves much more then that, and while maybe you're thinking drag or road racing only includes 0 and 100% throttle applications, the transients that happen from shifting seem to IMO affect ME in ways that most don't realize.

I'm thinking DRAG racing only cares about transients between shifting, for example. For a road race, it isn't nearly as important.

hell, power as a whole isn't that important for road racing, especially considering the multitude of other limitations that make the S4 not so great on the track.

ECUx Plot

NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2017, 12:38:22 PM »

You can use the stock KR without needing detcans. Other than that, nothing. Just saying you can make it do what you want.

I don't see the relation between KR and fueling strategy being flexible (ie. the load input - MAF).

I will agree that a factory calibrated knock system is a fantastic thing to have in 85% of over all situations.

I'm thinking DRAG racing only cares about transients between shifting, for example. For a road race, it isn't nearly as important.

hell, power as a whole isn't that important for road racing, especially considering the multitude of other limitations that make the S4 not so great on the track.

I'd disagree with you about that but let's not take the rabbit hole any deeper than it already is lol.

turbojohan

« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2017, 12:41:38 AM »

Of course you can make ME work with big hp setups.
In a lot of race applications standalone gives a lot of extra's.
Logging during a run, adjust stuff in few seconds, boost by gear etc. etc.
jcsbanks

« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2017, 04:21:19 AM »

My recent work is on MS43 and MEVD17 not ME7 and MED17, but they use the same C16x and TC179x families. C167 is 16 bit, but it doesn't really matter since the vast majority of variables are 16 bit in a Tricore ECU where they are not using floating point. Pointers are invariably the native register size on both, so apart from the inconvenience of DPPs, there is little performance issue there. Most of the C167 instructions take a few cycles whereas the Tricore does most in one and has typically 10 times higher clock speeds.

There is a similar roughly one order of magnitude increase in memory of various types and size of the code and number of comms messages.

Very little is relevant to performance and getting ignition to tight enough tolerances not to matter for performance is a problem solved last century. Lambda and boost control are not even worth mentioning as they are trivial on less powerful CPUs than a C167.

If it matters, my modified ECU code is in stuff making 500HP/litre, but actually it doesn't as ECU code or CPU performance is virtually nothing to do with making silly power.

The complexity is in emissions targets and the German fetish for never ending models.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 04:27:40 AM by jcsbanks » Logged
prj

« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2017, 06:57:41 AM »

If you read up further you'll see I quoted the correct 256mhz speed when talking about the Pi Innovo products.

Coming from the guy who essentially claims that motronic can sense knock as well as a modern Tricore ECM?

The processor - C167, MPC555 or Infineon Tricore has nothing to do with sensing the knock in any of these ECU's, it is done by a DSP. All the MCU does is read the integrator output. How fast it needs to do that is governed by engine RPM, there is absolutely nothing to gain by reading it more or less often, since only the peak-to-peak is what matters.
Because they are not sensing or processing the knock sensor signals it is completely irrelevant what clock speed they run at.
Knock sensing is mostly a solved problem, even M2.3.2 with 12mhz IC and analog circuitry with no DSP reacts to knock perfectly.

You don't even understand the picture you pasted nor how it applies to anything.
Guess what is in ME7?
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/22751.pdf - the very same thing as the picture you pasted, except it was done 20 years ago.
Knock processing chips have been used since 1994 in all Bosch gasoline ECUs.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 07:10:34 AM by prj » Logged

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: