Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: PSA: Can't flash or log your Allroad that's got a coilover conversion?  (Read 11558 times)
Jason

Breaks everything!

I've spent a few days trying to figure out why I can't read, flash, or log my 01 Allroad.  My car is a manual swap car and has a late APB harness adapted to the earlier APB chassis harness (the firewall connectors are different).

The ECU bench flashed just fine, but on the car, pulling the radio or cluster fuses did not work.  Pulling the cluster and radio entirely did not work.  VAG-COM worked, but the ECU was simply not responding to the init.

An additional odd symptom was that I had a persistent DTC for lack of ECU communications with the instrument cluster.

My car has an Arnott coilover conversion on it that was not installed correctly - they simply unplugged the leveling computer and did not install the "eliminator" portion of the kit, as outlined on the last few pages here:

http://arnottinfo.com/manuals/C-2718.pdf

Suffice to say, I plugged the module back in, and suddenly I could read, flash, and log.  The instrument cluster dtc for no ECU communications disappeared as well.  Obviously the dash is lit up for the air suspension missing, but I can deal with that until I can find a set of bags to throw back on it.

In any case I felt posting this information might be useful to somebody who experiences the same problem.  My guess is that the k-line requires termination?
metronet

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 12:56:32 PM »

What was the code you were getting from your cluster?

I have the following code and could never figure out what's wrong with it.
No real issues for me except when my RNS-E (power) is unplugged; it takes a few times to Unlock with the correct radio code.

Code:
Control Module Part Number: 4Z7 920 930 D
  Component and/or Version: C5-KOMBIINSTR. VDO D13
           Software Coding: 02364
1 Fault Found:
01177 - Engine Control Unit
        49-00 - No Communications
ddillenger

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 12:59:53 PM »

Unplug that shit ass eliminator kit. Unplug the level control module. Recode the ecu as an A6 if it's a BEL. Go into the cluster, change adaptation channel 60 to remove the level control module from the instrument CAN reception list.

Then everything is as it should be.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 07:28:55 PM »

What was the code you were getting from your cluster?

I have the following code and could never figure out what's wrong with it.
No real issues for me except when my RNS-E (power) is unplugged; it takes a few times to Unlock with the correct radio code.

Code:
Control Module Part Number: 4Z7 920 930 D
  Component and/or Version: C5-KOMBIINSTR. VDO D13
           Software Coding: 02364
1 Fault Found:
01177 - Engine Control Unit
        49-00 - No Communications

That's the code I was seeing... 

Daz, you're right, that's what I ended up doing, but it still won't flash without the module hooked up...  It didn't have an eliminator on it at all... It was just unplugged...  I have uncovered a lot of sketchy shit on this thing thus far.
ddillenger

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 05:57:24 AM »

The early allroads are tricky in general. 38400 baud usually works without issue. If the K-line isn't shorted, there is no reason the level control module can't be unplugged Smiley

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
QuickS4

Tried to change the coding in the ECU, it took but then throws a code for ECU module incorrectly coded and won't clear unless I put it back.  Also, within the instrument cluster, tried to "remove" the level control from the can reception list, but didn't work.  In channel 60 of the instrument cluster, it read "1027".  I've tried changing it, however, anytime it reads an even number, both the EPC and CEL lights go out. Change the coding back to an odd number, and the lights come back.  I don't believe the "1027" code is the correct one, but when I change it to anything else, it doesn't remove the suspension light. 

If anyone has some ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
QuickS4

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 02:50:00 PM »

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
metronet

What year is your Allroad, APB or BEL?

I am assuming you have un-plugged the level sensor control module at the tools compartment.

I believe PIN 20 & 21 of the 50 pin connector are for the CAN-bus.
nubcake

Also, better description of what your problem is and what you're trying to achieve might help.
QuickS4

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 12:30:15 PM »

Thanks gents.  It's a 2004 Bel.  My apologies.  Im trying to remove the suspension light on the cluster since it's been converted over to coilovers.  I'm not sure if the module has been unplugged. I'll check on that.   The idea is to code the ecu to an A6 and the cluster to remove the air suspension from the can bus. But I didn't quite understand what Daz was explaining as I didn't see the ability to do that in the cluster on channel 60.  I do know the compressor has been removed from the chassis.

nubcake

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 03:09:13 PM »

http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Cluster_recode
Is there channel 60? What's the number stored there?
QuickS4

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 05:35:41 PM »

I went through this also and with the allroad it's box code is S.  Which isn't listed there.  Currently it's set at 1027.

macxxx

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 10:18:31 PM »

You can remove the suspension light by removing the cable in the blue connector - I guess pin 14 , but check it out in pinouts  ( its name is adaptive suspension )
QuickS4

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 09:37:05 AM »

You can remove the suspension light by removing the cable in the blue connector - I guess pin 14 , but check it out in pinouts  ( its name is adaptive suspension )
Thank you macxxx.  The blue connector at the cluster, correct?

macxxx

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 02:28:32 PM »

Yes pin 14 blue connector , it is the connection between the suspension Control module and suspension light.

Can connection is used only when low range gearing is fitted
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: