Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2001 - Audi S4 J Box EGT Removal Request  (Read 8585 times)
JMLPictures

« on: August 21, 2011, 01:00:19 PM »

Hey Everyone,
I have been poking around these forums for the last few days looking into removing the EGT sensors on my car. I have downloaded the BIN file from my car and have tried to find a definition file for it (which I can't) and then decided to just try and find the values myself in the hex editor. I am 99% sure I changed the correct values (and according to the patterns in the code from the known locations on the M box code they look to be in the same place. Can anyone check this for me? Also I ran the Checksum program ME7Check and it found 5 errors but I am not sure how to fix them... I downloaded the ECUFix program and it says that it's an unknown ECU and that it's not compatible with the program. Any help here would be great. I am attaching both the original ECU file from the car along with my modified version. Thanks for all the help.
judeisnotobscure

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 01:40:22 PM »

giac changed their software id number which is why ecu fix said it's unsupported...the claats2 value does not match what it should be on your original file... it looks like some of the maps line up with the mbox definition but not all of them.   I don't think you have correctly coded them out.

I have a b5 s4
but i just want to dance.
phila_dot

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 01:48:50 PM »

If your ECU is in fact GIAC chipped (physically), you will not be able to write the file back. Also, I suggest switching to L box software as it is almost identical layout to M box.

The MTX plugin should work also.

I am on my phone so I haven't looked at the file you attached.
judeisnotobscure

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 02:28:37 PM »

yup, if you want to tune your own car, you should switch to the L box file and use the Mbox definition.
You will be much happier than with the giac file Smiley

I have a b5 s4
JMLPictures

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 05:16:35 PM »

If your ECU is in fact GIAC chipped (physically), you will not be able to write the file back. Also, I suggest switching to L box software as it is almost identical layout to M box.

The MTX plugin should work also.

I am on my phone so I haven't looked at the file you attached.

How would I go about changing my J box to an L box??? Any links on this would be great!
judeisnotobscure

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 05:33:36 PM »

It's easier to start with a stock Lbox and go from there... you could port one of the mbox tunes over from the tuned file section... just copy over the relevant maps, timing, load, throttle, ect..

I have a b5 s4
JMLPictures

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 05:47:18 PM »

Ok I downloaded the L box stock ECU bin and the L box definition file. Should I use the L box one or should I download a M box XDF since they are basically the same?
judeisnotobscure

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 08:16:19 PM »

Mbox xdf.

I have a b5 s4
JMLPictures

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 12:45:20 PM »

If anyone could help with the checksum piece of this that would be awesome.

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php/topic,949.0title,.html

Thank you in advance!
JMLPictures

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 05:02:26 PM »

Ok guys! First thanks for all the help! I successfully flashed a modified L box code to my car without the EGT sensors. Put about 20 miles on the car so far along with multiple engine shut offs and restarts and everything is working well. My hick-up issue is gone from what it seems like (according to my WideBand I was randomly going SUPER rich while just cruising... AFs in the low 11s then the car would shudder then go back to normal. I checked codes and had a EGT short to ground signal). Coded them out and it seems to be running well again. Now I have to find someone with a tuned L box or tuned M box so I can copy the map over. Anyone have one? Just a stage 1 file. I am still on K03s. I was running the GIAC X file but would like to try out an APR tune. Thanks everyone for the help.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: