Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Quattro??  (Read 5883 times)
atdub

« on: September 07, 2016, 06:47:46 AM »

Out of the million vehicles ive owned, I only had 2 Awd so dont flame me to bad. Anyways I have an Axle going bad on my passenger front. Those of you who Exp this knows how annoying it is to drive on. So while Im awaiting parts the frustration got to the best of me. I got to thinking, I have an Awd so Y cant I just pull the axle and limp it on 3 legs until my parts come in?(I work only 3miles away). So I do just that all to find out that my car does not move w/o the pass axle. So my little experiment leads me to believe that a "Quattro" should really be called an Uno and the main drive steams from the pass side lol. Im sure im missing somthing here. I did do some slight research. Im thinking about running down to my donor car, pull the center diff and dust off my welders mask..Anyway thought I throw this out there while Im at work trying to stay awake 
vwaudiguy

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 08:44:21 AM »

Open differential is your enemy right now.

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
atdub

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 09:29:40 AM »

I believe you are right sir..im glad this was brought to my attn so I can start having some fun Grin (P.O of an e36). Eventho I was under the car at 2am this morning and my shift starts at 7am the plus side of this whole thing is once I receive my Axle Ill prob have it out and in within 15min lol.. 
atdub

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 05:07:56 PM »

Does anybody know if a awm torsen (center) diff is interchangeable with an atw? Btw my axle is going to be here tomorrow so I'm not cutting corners here I just have access to a awm center for dirt cheap and I'm a dirt cheap kinda guy Grin.

Cheers
nubcake

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 02:23:09 PM »

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential6.htm

However, if one set of wheels loses traction completely, the Torsen differential will be unable to supply any torque to the other set of wheels. The bias ratio determines how much torque can be transferred, and five times zero is zero.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: