Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anything for my setup? 01 A4 BT  (Read 7734 times)
Turbo Nerd

« on: August 28, 2011, 02:54:37 PM »

Currently running a GT2871R on a built 1.9L with supertech valve springs and retainers.  Right now I'm on a GIAC K04 file tweaked by VAST for my setup (stock motor 18 psi).  My motor is getting dropped off at the machine shop late next and I should have it back in the car hopefully mid next month. 

My plan is to break in the motor with my VAST file than after that go with Unitronics BT software but I'd like to give this a shot before I do that.  I bought a dedicated mini laptop for my car and I have a ross tech cable, VAG COM, uni settings, ECU X, ETKA, and some other little things.

I've read most of the important stuff on the wiki and I downloaded tuner pro that's about it, I could not find a XDF definition so maybe it's somewhere else?

I'm not looking to take much time from you guys but if you could give me some of the basic things I need and point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it very much.  BTW is my ECU a 7.1 or 7.5?

Thanks fellas, happy tuning.
Turbo Nerd

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 02:59:50 PM »

Oh yea, 630cc injectors, VR6 MAF housing stock MAF, stock FPR.

Looking for a pump gas 93oct (with or w/o meth, haven't bought it yet) file and 110oct file.
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 04:05:43 PM »

than after that go with Unitronics BT software

wow... I really hope you don't do that... Uni is garbage.

SCHNELL ENGINEERING BLOG ·  STANDALONE ECUS · TUNING · DYNO · WIRING · PARTS · VEMS
Google Talk: NOTORIOUS.VR
n00bs start here: http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning
Turbo Nerd

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 04:25:36 PM »

What are my other options?  VAST is near me but they want like $1300 for a custom tune, I'm straight on that.  Was going to go with Eurodyne but something tells me I wouldn't be happy with that.  I was going to drive to Canada to Uni and have them dyno tune the car until I go PTE 6262 with a fully built AEB head early next year.

That's why I posted here to see if I could be satisfied until I get my new turbo, full race mani, built AEB head, custom intake mani, ect....

RaraK

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 12:21:59 PM »

What are my other options?  VAST is near me but they want like $1300 for a custom tune, I'm straight on that.  Was going to go with Eurodyne but something tells me I wouldn't be happy with that.  I was going to drive to Canada to Uni and have them dyno tune the car until I go PTE 6262 with a fully built AEB head early next year.

That's why I posted here to see if I could be satisfied until I get my new turbo, full race mani, built AEB head, custom intake mani, ect....

You would be better off with maestro or paying someone to make you a proper definition for your ecu and fine tuning yourself.

If you do not want to tune yourself, its a no brainer what you must do.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 12:55:07 PM »

than after that go with Unitronics BT software

wow... I really hope you don't do that... Uni is garbage.

Are there any big name companies people have respect for on this forum? Every time I hear a company mentioned, someone always says how crappy they are..I wonder how they've been in business so long making poopie tunes. Plus most of them have dyno's/engine dyno's large facilities with a ton of R and D (it seems like anyway) so to have all those resources and still have such horrible product is beyond me. I'm not a fan of any company in particular, but it's hard to believe someone new to ME7 tuning is going to be able to make something as good/better without a lot of resources and time. I tune a lot of standalone systems and I'm aware how much more complicated the me's can be when compared even to the higher end standalone systems..Are there any other companies doing BT/1000cc files other than Eurodyne and Unitronic on the same scale? I'm just curious? I also want to add that I am no where near being able to tune ME7 stuff as it's very time consuming and complicated so I wouldn't know just by looking at maps a good/bad tune...I'm just going by what the majority of people say on forums and a few of my friends.  Grin I saw this Eurodyne thread on the tex that made me want to cry ...Everybody having tons of issues and talking about tuning their cars..I think it was 44 pages last I checked. I wish I had that kind of time.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 01:07:35 PM by vwaudiguy » Logged

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
vwaudiguy

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 01:03:35 PM »

I'm still learning how to internet too  Tongue

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 01:07:01 PM »

of course some companies get respect... I have my reasons for not liking Uni because I've seen first hand of the crap they try to peddle.

They're a huge marketing company... flashy signs and appearances at shows is what they do.  I've seen how they started from being nothing at all to what they are today FWIW.  I've met Mike (the Mike that "tunes") even.

100% the OP would be better of with Maestro if he's willing to tune on his own

SCHNELL ENGINEERING BLOG ·  STANDALONE ECUS · TUNING · DYNO · WIRING · PARTS · VEMS
vwaudiguy

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 01:09:19 PM »

Could you mention a couple of things so that we can learn a little? And which companies are on the better-end? Maybe this needs a new thread haha  Undecided And I know about Uni's huge marketing side haha I've been to Waterfest and met the strippers  Shocked But how long can marketing hype maintain a crappy product? Especially the way the internet is these days..People are bound to cry if somethings wrong?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 01:11:34 PM by vwaudiguy » Logged

RaraK

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 01:19:32 PM »

Do respect APR.....

NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 01:53:37 PM »

Do respect APR.....

Agreed on APR, also Chris Tapp/Tapp Tuning, EPL/AMD... I'm not going to list them all obviously but they're out there.

And like I said I have my reasons for not liking Unitonic...

Their OTS stuff is just ok.. which is why most people don't have an issue with it, because it's not too hard to get that right... their custom/BT stuff though... wouldn't go near it. 

That's all I'm going to say on that subject. 

vwaudiguy

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 02:07:28 PM »

Fair enough. Thanks for the input!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: