Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: MAF G/S at idle poll: Blow through MAF discussion.  (Read 50575 times)
s5fourdoor

« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2011, 11:53:38 AM »

i think we need to organize and send a 85mm maf + hitachi/bosch sensor to Pro-M to get exact calibration values...
Snow Trooper

« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2011, 10:29:06 AM »

In the sake of keeping people updated...

At this time I have stopped running blow through, at least with OEM sourced sensors.  I have moved back to a pre turbo maf and just deleted my BOV for now since I dont actually need it.  The only runs the car will get, will be drag or dyno until next spring, it is off the hook for daily driving due to weather.

FWIW it is running very good in this fashion, much better than pre turbo with BOV (obvious loss of metered air) and all and all better then blow through.  I base this off my overall driving impression, stability in the tune, adaptability and perceived safety.

I want to be clear that all 3 styles of running it worked, me7 is amazing in what it is capable of adapting to with the right maps tuned.  Do not be horribly afraid to try blow through, stock sensor or otherwise.  I am confident that if i revisit it with a sensor that is designed for the application that it will be just like tuning any other maf.  For now my car sounds like an old 5 cyl IMSA car when I actually do lift to shift.  Smiley

cartoons?
6A 61 72 65 64 40 76 6C 6D 73 70 65 63
RaraK

« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2011, 08:58:16 AM »

So this is not totally relevant to me7 but i am starting to tune a hitachi sensor(ford 0-5v style) on my me3.3.1 M3 turbo this winter.  Ive been reading up a little on these sensors(this post) and the "calibration".  What i am trying to understand is, how does prom "calibrate" these to a specific injector size etc? what are they doing?

my current thoughts are that they calibrate the sensors internally, to match injectors as said in this thread.  They look at the internal calc of the sensor to scale to an injector size to remove the tuning aspect on the actual car's ECU.  just scaling.

how do these sensors work?

I think its a voltage input to the sensor, and it measures how much voltage is needed to satisfy the hot wire to a certain temp.  does a calculation and gives a voltage output.  this calculation that is done is modified by companies like prom to match the factory sensor, or scaled in a way to make a plug and play solution with larger injectors, and working with factory ecu with little modification to the actual ecu tune?

if you have the full option of ecu tuning, like us.  we can use the factory ford transfer function for the specific maf sensor(found in a ford .bin file) and find a way too get a base transfer in our ecu's. 

the only reason to have a prom maf is to have a supplied transfer function chart, which would be awesome to KNOW what that maf is doing in that car with YOUR piping. 

I intend on running blowthrough with my M3, theres a company called TRM that does just this with thier OBD1 tunes, though id prefer to learn this on my own, seems like fun!

any thoughts or comments on this?
britishturbo

« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2012, 10:20:30 PM »

Bringing up an old thread here... but I'm in the process of setting up and tuning my single turbo S4 on blow through maf right now...
I'm also seeing the same thing that was mentioned in this thread... with the stock sensor I'm seeing less airflow measured under boost than there should be.
I'm going to scale the table for starters.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2012, 12:15:37 PM »

the only reason to have a prom maf is to have a supplied transfer function chart, which would be awesome to KNOW what that maf is doing in that car with YOUR piping.  

Agreed. I think the challenge with blowthrough is getting an accurate transfer function chart, because it is (as far as i know) difficult to reproduce blowthrough-like airflow characteristics on a bench w/o an engine dyno.

Perhaps what you could do is stack a known maf onto your intake pre-turbo along with the blowthrow maf, and use that to calibrate..

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
britishturbo

« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2012, 06:28:55 PM »

I "think" I might have come up with a formula to correctly scale the MAF table for blow through... it's not linear...
I will test it this weekend and report back!
jibberjive

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2012, 05:14:59 AM »

Perhaps what you could do is stack a known maf onto your intake pre-turbo along with the blowthrow maf, and use that to calibrate..
Pretty cool idea.
britishturbo

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2012, 07:18:06 AM »

I'm actually going to do this as well this weekend if I can borrow a Hitachi MAF from someone.
I want to leave my blow through sensor in place so nothing changes.

Is there an additional 0-5V input on the ME7 that I could hijack for testing? It would be cool to be able to log both maf sensors at the exact same time...
jibberjive

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2012, 08:02:41 AM »

If you have a Zeitronix ZT-2 you can hook up one of the MAF's to one of the ZT-2's auxiliary inputs (it's got two), and synchronize them via RPM to construct the linearization curve for the blow-though.
britishturbo

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2012, 09:41:58 AM »

If you have a Zeitronix ZT-2 you can hook up one of the MAF's to one of the ZT-2's auxiliary inputs (it's got two), and synchronize them via RPM to construct the linearization curve for the blow-though.

I have an lc-1... so no built in data logging inputs :-(
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2012, 09:53:21 AM »

I'm actually going to do this as well this weekend if I can borrow a Hitachi MAF from someone.
I want to leave my blow through sensor in place so nothing changes.

Is there an additional 0-5V input on the ME7 that I could hijack for testing? It would be cool to be able to log both maf sensors at the exact same time...

You might be able to use rear O2 inputs if you have them coded out.

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
britishturbo

« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2012, 09:55:42 AM »

You might be able to use rear O2 inputs if you have them coded out.

They are coded out.
Will they take a 0-5V signal?
Shit if they do I'll use one for wideband like on dsmlink :-)
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2012, 11:17:42 AM »

Yea i've always wanted to set up my wideband to feed into the rear O2 inputs but never got around to trying it out... let us know Smiley

ECUx Plot

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: