Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Unable to Read Flash 2000 VW GTI 2.8VRT  (Read 5730 times)
junkyarddawg

« on: February 20, 2016, 08:16:03 AM »

Been able to make some progress on this project by just reading information in this forum but I have reached a point where i could use some advice. My son and I have pieced the car together with parts from various sources so there is no solid background on the car or parts. The engine will run but runs way too rich and stalls out when returning to idle. There are no hard faults so I just need to work on the tune, since new mods I installed GT3582R, AWIC, 42# injectors, 82mm maf, 3 inch exhaust. I opened the ecu case and found that the last tuner had removed the flash chip and installed a psop44 encryption socket on the main board with the 29F400BB chip inserted into the socket. I tried to read the flash from the ecu and could not, I tried many time and many ways to get into boot mode and could not, not on the bench, not in the car. I read the flash chip out directly with my eprog device and saved the file but it appears to be encrypted so I decided to remove the socket from the board, I flashed the 29F400BB chip with dillingers bin file via my eprog device, then soldered the flashchip to the main board and essentially restore the ecu to "stock" configuration. The car runs with the ecu, and I can comm with VCDS no problem, but I still cannot read out the flash with nefmoto, nor can I get the ecu into bootmode. I think I should mention that the ecu appears to have immo off and I can see that the serial eprom has been removed and reinstalled also. I have attached the nefmoto log file and would appreciate if someone could take a look and give advice before I head to the junkyard in search of a compatible ecu for the car.
Best regards

aef

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 09:04:48 AM »

Im not 100% sure but i think this software will not work on me7.1.1 vr6 v12 ecus.
There is a list with tested ecus: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki/index.php/NefMoto_ECU_Flashing_Software#Tested_ECUs

Have you tried to write your ecu using nefmoto flasher instead of reading it?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 09:09:22 AM by aef » Logged
junkyarddawg

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 09:08:07 AM »

Im not 100% sure but i think this software will not work on me7.1.1 vr6 v12 ecus.
There is a list with tested ecus: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki/index.php/NefMoto_ECU_Flashing_Software#Tested_ECUs

Have you tried to write your ecu using nefmoto flasher instead of reading it?

Thanks for your reply! The version is 7.1 as this is a 12v vr6, I know the 24v are 7.1.1 and I have one of those also. I was able to read and write to the 24v, 7.1.1 ecu with nefmoto on the bench after I integrated the instrument cluster into the harness via obd kwp 2000, I was unable to put that ecu into boot mode as well, even after trying every solution I could find in the forum searches. I thought about trying to see If I could write to the 12v ecu, as you have suggested, but was afraid of bricking it as I have not been able to put either unit into boot mode. I attached the nefmoto log to my first post to see if someone who may have had the same issue could analyze the log and have a possible solution.The log seems to indicate that the process stops when the ecu reports to the tester that the "service is not supported" and if that is just a limitation of the software I will try something else. I wanted to mention that I have galletto 1260 and a sn# modded kkl dumb cable, but I cant seem to communicate, in any mode, to either ecu with that setup. Im running windows 10 with a dumb kkl cable with ftdi 232r chip, it is the silver cable with the blue obd connector end.
aef

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 10:01:11 AM »

Is your immo on or off?
Change it and try with nef.
junkyarddawg

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 09:25:55 PM »

Is your immo on or off?
Change it and try with nef.
The immo is definitly off, but as I understand it, I dont think I can reenable it without boot mode and I just cant seem to get it into boot mode for some reason. I will try some more this week and report back. Thanks aef.
junkyarddawg

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 08:03:38 AM »

I finally got the ecu into bootmode using galletto 1260 installed on my old windows XP laptop. I had been trying with my newer laptop running windows 10 and could not get galletto to work. Now on to bigger things, like trying to setup a base tune to get this thing running so I can start logging. I also wanted to ask for advice on what to do to get the ecu to flash with nef via obd. Do I need to bootflash an immo on file to the ecu to get the nef to work? Advice is appreciated....
ddillenger

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 03:53:32 PM »

Bootmode. This ecu is a BITCH to read and write with nefmoto.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: