Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Author Topic: Please help. Just don't know how to start.  (Read 40707 times)
opticaltrigger

« on: July 24, 2016, 02:31:38 PM »

Hi guy's,
I'm totally new to this so I hope that you can forgive the simplicity of my questions at this stage.But I have to start somewhere.

I have a 2001 Golf 1.8T with the AUM engine.
Iv'e read the FAQ's and the getting started section and Iv'e downloaded and installed TunerPro. Iv'e ordered a cable and grasped that I need a definition file for my ECU.
Thing is I have absolutely no idea where to get a reliable one from or if I need anything else for that matter.

I really need to ask if some of you guy's would be kind enough to set me in the rite direction with this.

All the very best
O.T.

"It is dangerous to be right, in matters where established men are wrong." ....

Voltaire
vwaudiguy

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 03:01:47 PM »

Well? What's your goal?

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
opticaltrigger

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 03:28:16 PM »

Hi vwaudiguy,
Thanks so much for the reply.
Well,I guess my goal is to learn more about modern engine control really and to get the chance to apply it to and practice on this AUM engine which I think is an amazing bit of kit.
I have used a Megasquirt with Tunerstudio in the past on an 8v engine but this is an entirely different approach and it's one that I'm really keen to get to grips with.
But I'm feeling kind of overwhelmed at the moment which is very frustrating.

All the best
O.T.

Voltaire
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 03:30:46 PM »

Read up on torque based engine management, and look at the "Tuning" link in my sig.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
opticaltrigger

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 03:56:00 PM »

Ok,thanks nyet.
I will check out both those items first and come back to you guy's again.

Thanks very much for the heads up.
All the best
O.T.

Voltaire
adam-

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 01:02:10 AM »

We should probably have a page or a series of well-written answers for people that have literally just found this forum for the first time.  At first, it's massively overwhelming and there's although there is all the information you could ever need here, it's the "Getting Started" bit that people seem to really struggle with.

I always use the comparison that the ECU is like a large Encyclopedia. When you want to find something, you look up the contents page and find what you want and go to that page.  However, with no contents page, you have no real understanding of what each page is (other than the words) so you're kind of stuck.

Your ECU currently is like that Encyclopedia in that it has no "contents page".  You need to tell a bit of software (and your brain) what is stored on each page so you know what to do.  That software, be it TunerPro or WinOLS is no more than just a viewer.  When you define what is stored on each page (maps), you can make sense of it.

With a definition file (.kp for OLS and .xdf for TunerPro) you can work with your file.  The 1.8t files are pretty well defined (if you search this site, there's a full defined CB file).  My HN file is also very defined for what you'll need for it. 

It's also good practice not to just flash random files onto your ECU because you can end up with a dead one; so you want to stick with what you've got.  So, use the NefMoto flasher to "pull" your file off your current ECU.  You'll need to choose the right ECU layout (which is in the ECU layout folder where you install the flasher) to 800bb.  You can then read the ECU and save your file.  Save it with the part number of the ECU or whatever you want.  It's a very good habit to get into now and be neat.  Store your files properly in properly named folders.  When you've got files everywhere you get confused.

With your ECU read, you can go ahead and load it into TunerPro or OLS.  What you'll see is just numbers, nothing more.  You now need a definition file - which you'll have to define yourself if you can't find one.  This is a problem, because for noobs it's very hard to understand tuning; let alone prepare a definition file.  You have to get a known file and trawl through looking for patterns to get the addresses (page numbers, remember?) to give an understanding of your file.  It's time consuming and hard for a novice.  Hopefully your file is a defined one (pray!).

You'll need to get ECUxPlot and get ME7Logger working to give you logs.  That's another thread in itself.  Once you can log successfully, change fuelling.  Your AUM is wideband out the box so can log fuelling accurately.  Get a log with increased fuelling and make sure it follows what you expect.  Now start tuning. Smiley

It's a really long process but once you're set up and have an understanding you can make strong progress.  Read lots, take notes and be prepared to spend a lot of time on here.

First off, get the Flasher and get a read of your ECU.  Upload it here for others (incase they need a stock read) and then look for a definition file. Either run with TunerPro or get OLS.  Get a definition file; people can help you out here with requests.

Get logging working, and start tuning. Smiley
opticaltrigger

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 06:28:17 AM »

Hi again guy's,
Thanks for that adam,it was invaluable advise.
Since last night and this morning I've done allot of reading and I downloaded the flasher as adam said.

Yes!!... Some success.This morning I managed to connect and read off the ECU.
If Iv'e done it rite there should be copy of the file here.

Many,many thanks again gents.
All the best
O.T.

Voltaire
nubcake

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 09:36:56 AM »

This thread could be helpful:
http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=6955.0title=

It will show you basic steps that are needed for the stage1 tune.
opticaltrigger

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 12:19:01 PM »

Thanks very much nubcake,
That's a great read.Really informative.
I'm not getting much sleep at the moment though.This is so addictive.
I finally feel that I'm starting to take some very small first steps here

Would it be safe to use the xdf file in that thread with my stock AUM bin file.Or is that totally wrong?

All the very best and many thanks again for all the help you guy's are giving me here.
O.T.

Voltaire
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 12:26:12 PM »

Would it be safe to use the xdf file in that thread with my stock AUM bin file.Or is that totally wrong?

"Safe" is the wrong question. The question is if it is the correct xdf file for your bin.

What is the "Part Number" of your bin?

Yes, I could tell you what it is, but you should know how to do this yourself first.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 12:29:08 PM by nyet » Logged

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
opticaltrigger

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 03:59:21 PM »

Hi nyet, thanks for the reply again.
I really hope that I have this rite. I believe that I could have found the correct number which is 1037360128 and is titled as ECU software number.
I got by reading the ECU info from the flasher.

All the best
O.T.

Voltaire
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 04:11:55 PM »

There are actually at least three different numbers in an ME7 file: Part number, SW version, and HW version. ME7sum and me7chk will display all three. Do any of the three match the xdf you intend to use?

ECUx Plot

opticaltrigger

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 05:01:16 PM »

Iv'e downloaded those two tools.But I'm going to have to ask if there is a tutorial somewhere  I could read on how to use them.
I did read that they are cmd line programs but I don't understand how to run them or use them.
What would I type into the cmd window to run it and how would I load the info into the programs to gain the information that I'm looking for.

Many thanks again nyet
O.T.

Voltaire
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 05:05:35 PM »

http://dosprompt.info/ is linked to in several threads along with several of the guides.

ECUx Plot

dokalanyi

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 01:40:51 AM »

Hi opticaltrigger,
Hope at this point you've figured out many of the things -- very overwhelming at first. Since you're at the point of XDFs with Tunerpro (don't worry about WinOLS at this point), if you're lucky, you'll find an XDF that matches your ECU perfectly.

The best way to know that it's a perfect fit, is to download the bin and xdf from the stage I tune (pinned in the tuning section), and see the numbers on each of the maps. I used LAMFA and LDRXN, when those match, chances are high it's a perfect fit.

If you can't find an xdf for your exact part no, find one as close as possible (perhaps only the last letters different), and then check the maps. At this point LAMFA/LDRXN should be slightly off (remember you now know what LAMFA should look like because you saw the bin and xdf from the community tune).

At this point you start to create your own xdf by editing those addresses little by little until the maps match up.

Also read the S4Wiki until it no longer gives you a headache. And then read the whole 1.8T community tune, several times.

Good luck!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: