Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Author Topic: Please help. Just don't know how to start.  (Read 40764 times)
adam-

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 02:17:24 AM »

Although the above answer is okay, it's not good for absolute novices that can't even operate DOS "roughly lining maps up".  He has no idea what numbers he's looking at, so guessing is NOT a suitable way of doing it.
Tshirt2k

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 11:41:37 AM »

Best place to start is actually look at the cover of the ECU for the number in the sticker. Under the scuttle. If it's the standard tune.
Then you can search for the ECU number on here. Sometimes you can find a more common XDF that is better defined. You may be able to cross flash it but only if it compatible. Then finding the required maps are easier.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 11:47:54 AM by Tshirt2k » Logged
opticaltrigger

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 02:55:37 PM »

Hi dokalanyi,
Thanks very much for coming back to me with the great advise and help.I really,really need it.

It's very kind of you to say that I'm at the point of XDF's but the honest truth is that I only learned how to say it two days ago.
I feel so out of my depth here,truly I do.In fact at 4am this morning while trying to get me7sum and ME7Check to work so that I could at least check the numbers as nyet mentioned.I finally called it a day and went to bed totally defeated feeling that I am utterly out of my depth.

However,after getting up this morning I felt better and I'm not ready to be defeated just yet.

Many,many thanks again dokalanyi for the info and I will start reading them immediately.

All the very best
O.T.   

"It is dangerous to be right, in matters where established men are wrong." ....

Voltaire
opticaltrigger

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 04:12:20 PM »

Hi again adam and Hi Tshirt2K. Thanks to both of you for helping me out.

I have had a thought that perhaps I should mention what few things I can do.
I have ended up here because I love engines and have been bent on tuning for thirty years.Iv'e built a few nice ones over the years and eventually, some years back discovered Megasquirt and Tunerstudio and ran with that eventually becoming reasonably adept at putting together a fuel and ignition table for a boosted engine.

However,I have always wanted one of these 1.8T engines to work with simply because I find it to be mechanicaly, an amazing powerplant.
Now,at first I was all geared up to just buy an MS2Extra Ecu and wire it up.Great!
But!!,when I found this site I began reading and I began to realize the true beauty of the ME7.5 Ecu.Then it became apparent to me that you can write your own fuel and ignition tables,boost levels etc,etc.All of this functionality in such a fabulous package as the ME7.5...I love it,and have all but divorced MS because of the tiny bit I have grasped on here so far.

The problem that I'm having gents is that I come from a world of metal and not code. And I suppose that I have been somewhat spoiled by the user friendliness of TunerStudio which has easy to read scales of RPM,KPA,AFR,etc,etc on all of the tables.And to show my ignorance even further.When I downloaded TunerPro I just assumed it would be a similar format,connect up and start mapping...No!!!

But once I had managed to get my BIN file and the community stage 1 XDF together in TunerPro I see that the tables seem to be strung with the most incomprehensible numbers I've seen.I have no idea at all what they mean or relate to.One table called LDRXN has 16384 all the way through the RPM scale.Another called LAMFA AFR is full of numbers that I cannot see would relate to AFR in any way.

So that's where I'm at guy's,I do believe that I can do this but perhaps I need to come back a little here and try to learn whats going on at the base level.I would not dare to flash my ECU in my current position as I just cannot find a way to relate to the data that I see.I just do not know for example what a LAMFA or a LDRXN or a TVUB is....And I still do not know how to open those sum and check programs let alone put the data in them.
It really could be,that I just do not possess the requisite skills to even be here.In which case I would owe all of you an apology for having spent so much time on me already.

However I still feel that if I could just find the start,I can do this.

All the very best gents and many many thanks
O.T.

Voltaire
nubcake

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 05:03:35 PM »

It's gonna suck to dig through all that stuff without solid computer backround.  Undecided

That being said, it's not too hard.
You are seeing incomprehensible numbers with community xdf and your binary simply because they don't line up. Try loading community xdf with community binary. Then it will all make much more sense.
Then you can try comparing completely stock file from the community thread with the tuned one to check what is changed.

All this while getting morally prepared to create an xdf for your own binary.  Tongue

EDIT: All those "not making any sense" map names are explained in the wiki: http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning
TVUB - Injection time offset (compensate for injector latency)
LDRXN - maximum specified load
LAMFA - requested lambda.

etc..
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 04:17:35 AM by nubcake » Logged
Carsinc

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2016, 09:38:03 PM »

OK look focus on one thing at a time, you need to know the ecu number, we tend to use the vw/audi part number.
One way to do this is to scan your computer and see what he ecu identifies as. Another way is to pull up the .bin
in a hex editor and search the text for things your looking for like the ECU part number may end in 032 so search
for 032, it will find the part number. Then go find a XDF that matches your file.
adam-

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 03:27:13 AM »

Remember my example in the first page?  That's why the numbers don't make sense.  You're using a contents page for a different book; so none of the pages/numbers make any sense.

You need a matching contents page and book in order to understand it.  You need to have your ECU and it's matching contents page, otherwise you're stranded.  Upload your .bin and hopefully someone will give you an XDF.

If you get OLS I can match up a few maps for you quickly. Smiley You'll get there!
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 10:07:53 AM »

"Safe" is the wrong question. The question is if it is the correct xdf file for your bin.

What is the "Part Number" of your bin?

Yes, I could tell you what it is, but you should know how to do this yourself first.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
adam-

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 10:36:53 AM »

me7check v1.12 (c) mki, 06/2004-05/2012
Checking file stock.bin (size=1048576)
Reading Version Strings...
-> Bootrom Version = 05.12
-> EPK = 40/1/ME7.5/3/4013.00//24b/Dst02o/180700//
-> Contents of ECUID data table:
   - '0261206887'         (SSECUHN)
   - '1037360128'         (SSECUSN)
   - '06A906032DR '       (VAG part number)
   - '0002'               (VAG sw number)
   - '1.8L R4/5VT     '   (engine id)
-> Contents of ECUID data table:
   - 'HW_MAN004'

-> No errors found. File is OK.   *********************

Press any key to continue . . .
Carsinc

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2016, 08:36:38 PM »

I done a quick search and found a XDF and a base with the same part number,
which means it will be very close or you could use that base as the software
version would be the only difference.

Dude just tell us your ECU part number. This group of people will literally help
you with everything.
opticaltrigger

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2016, 04:39:50 AM »

Hi again guy's and a big,big thanks to all of you for the reply's and help.

Hi carsinc,I got The ECU part number which is 06A906032DR.

I must be honest here.I still haven't found a way to get ME7Check or me7sum to work yet but I got the number by taking Tshirt2k's tip and reading it from the sticker on the ECU.I then checked it against the info grabbed in the flasher program.I think I understand what nyet meant now when asking for the part number of the bin and and the difference between safe and correct.
I can see that you got it with me7check adam.Many thanks for that.I still haven't cracked that one yet though.I cant seem to be able to find the rite path.I tried installing it in Tunerpro under custom tools by copying and pasting the file path but no success yet.I will take a look at OLS and try to get it but I don't know anything about it yet.It would be great to see some other maps that you've matched up.
After looking at the correctly combined bin and xdf of the community stage 1 as nubcake recommended I can now see what you have been telling me about the necessity of a correctly aligned bin and xdf.

I guess I need to ask how and where would I start to search for a XDF to see if I can find one which matches my BIN. Looking forward to being able to look at the stock map I have and the stage 1 community project to draw comparisons.

Guy's.Thanks so much for your patience in helping me to try and understand this process.
All the very best
O.T.   

Voltaire
adam-

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2016, 04:53:10 AM »

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=9354.15

Page 2, half way down. I posted the ME7Check and a bat file.  Place these both in your tuning folder along with your bin.

So in the folder you'll have:
ME7Check.exe
ME7Check.bat
06Axxx.bin

Run the bat file and say no to the default name and type your name instead: 06Axxx.bin

If you have spaces, remove these in the filename before running it.  You'll get an output. Smiley ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS check this file before you flash it to the car (when you get that far!).  You need to make sure there is no checksum issues; otherwise you'll have a car that won't start.
opticaltrigger

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2016, 03:18:38 PM »

That's great adam. Thanks very much.
I installed it all as you said and it all ran properly. Great,and thanks again.

Thanks to the very kind help of the forum community I've managed to get an exact match xdf for my bin which has allowed me to view the data on my own file.I know it's a small thing but It feels like a major step to me.
I'm just not sure what all the scalars and tables labels mean yet (Still reding the S4wiki).And also I'm unclear as to the units used in the tables.I can see that some obviously use rpm,but some are not listed and I'm not sure are the values in for example, mbar or kpa,or lambda or afr. That kind of thing.
There also seems to be several versions of say for example an ignition table where there is KFZW (ignition angle map) and KFZW2 (ignition angle map variant 2).Which one would be the main ignition map?

Gent's...Really,many many thanks again for all the help.Fantastic forum community.
I'm not sleeping much at the moment but I am learning on a daily basis.

All the very best
O.T. 

Voltaire
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2016, 03:26:40 PM »

BTW you aren't going to get anywhere until you actually understand engines and how they work :/

Starting from the tuning wiki isn't really the right way to learn about cars. None of it will make any sense until then.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
nubcake

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2016, 04:43:55 PM »

Which one would be the main ignition map?

Both. One's used for "advanced" cam position, the other for "normal". Or, "normal" and "retarded", depending on your perspective.
It's also in the wiki: http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning#Base_timing_maps

BTW you aren't going to get anywhere until you actually understand engines and how they work :/

Starting from the tuning wiki isn't really the right way to learn about cars. None of it will make any sense until then.

I think OP mentioned that he has some tuning background with standalones.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: