Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Author Topic: KFMIRL, KFMIOP, KFMIZUOF - Torque Monitoring sanity check  (Read 192940 times)
TTQS
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 12:51:47 PM »

O.k. So I just compared the 265 bhp S4 maps with the 380 bhp RS4 stock maps and am seeing very little difference, certainly not enough to suggest that Audi are using KFMIRL and KFMIOP to increase output.

TTQS
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 03:21:45 AM by TTQS » Logged
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 01:27:52 PM »

O.k. So I just compared the 265 bhp S4 maps with the 380 bhp RS4 stock maps and am seeing very little difference, certainly not enough to suggest that Audi are using KFMIRL and KFMIOP to increase output.

Stock KFMIRL is more than enough for RS4 level boost req, which is relatively modest. Stock KFMIRL is NOT sufficient for just about any real stage 3 tune, unless you can suggest an alternate way to get req boost over 20psi.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
berTTos

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2011, 02:09:11 PM »

Doug

i believe the goal in tuning the Torque Model is not to increase output but rather to alter the manner in which output is delivered and to keep Torque Monitoring from trying to shoehorn our 500 hp into a delivery scheme designed for a very refined 250 hp.  In this way we can program the personality of the vehicle as we like.  We all have seen, over the years, quite a few tunes that attempt to alter the personality of the vehicle by requesting incresed loads sooner in the rev band - with varying degrees of success.  This said - we definitely need to alter at least the last 2 columns of KFMIRL in order to achieve the power levels desired in a STG3 or greater tune.

Here are the stock tables for S4 and RS4 for us to examine.  Notice that the RS4 maps do request more load sooner and a greater peak load in KFMIRL and that the x-axis in the RS4 KFMIOP is shifted upwards to reflect this greater load for a given %Torque request.

RS4 KFMIRL

S4 KFMIRL

RS4 KFMIOP

S4 KFMIOP

Now is a good time to think about the purpose of the Torque Model in Motronic. Here is how I am coming to understand it --

In a turbocharged vehicle the available torque varies wildly across the rev band usually with a steep torque curve which increases greatly over just a few hundred RPM.  In a traditional non-torque-managed scenario the driver compensates by applying greater throttle at the start then anticipates the onset of boost and reduces throttle input accordingly.  This may suit an enthusiast but would be considered unrefined and unacceptable for an average customer, especially in the luxury segment.  This is a particular problem in vehicles capable of more than 300 lb/ft of torque as the driver will need to carefully modulate the throttle input in all dynamic scenarios that involve load change in order to avoid violent bucking and surging with increasing loads.  ME7 addresses this particular shortcoming of turbocharged engines with the Torque Monitoring function which manages the varying engine output of the engine to match what the driver is requesting via throttle input by way of modulating ignition timing, throttle plate angle and boost.  When revs are low and engine output is low relative to what the driver has requested via the throttle ME7 will open the throttle further to more quickly achieve turbo spool and meet the requested torque.  As engine output sharply rises ME7 will close the throttle as necessary to achieve a linear power delivery, previously uncharacteristic of turbocharged vehicles.  As such, the S4 in stock form has a generous torque plateau across a broad rev range and was universally praised for its smooth power delivery.

Understanding this becomes crucial when one wishes to modify the engine for power output well beyond original levels.  ME7 was tuned by Audi to achieve a particular level of performance AND refinement.  This benchmark level of power and its DELIVERY – the target that ME7 is trying to hit – is defined by the ‘optimum’ tables.  When we attempt to ask the engine to produce more power in a more aggressive manner sooner we must also take into account the manner in which ME7 was programed to deliver this power - or what it considers optimum.  If we modify Load Requests but fail to appropriately alter the parameters that govern the rules of how it is to be delivered then the result is ME7 attempting to deliver STG 3 power using a delivery method designed for the refined delivery of ½ the power. 

when examining RS4 maps i have to remember that the RS4 was quite refined and, while powerful, was fairly conservative given its hardware. 

My goal, personally, is to understand the model enough to 'turn up the wick' not only at WOT but througout the rev range, while still maintaining the refined nature of the power delivery.  As it stands now - when I do turn things up, Torque monitoring is spoiling the fun in a variety of ways (and as an aside - I'm beginning to believe TM is responsible for the timing oscillations in very fast S4s).  If I disable TM, I suspect the throttle will be wild (it was in 1.8t cars i've driven w/o TM) and this get's old in a daily driver.  I'd ideally like to tell Motronic how I'd like the power delivered and let the TM smooth out the edges.
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2011, 02:09:51 PM »

Doug

ok but that difference, between them... is IRL and IOP different enough to see if IOP is using smaller numbers and IRL is using larger numbers then the S4 file?

SCHNELL ENGINEERING BLOG ·  STANDALONE ECUS · TUNING · DYNO · WIRING · PARTS · VEMS
Google Talk: NOTORIOUS.VR
n00bs start here: http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2011, 02:13:44 PM »

Notice that the RS4 maps do request more load sooner and a greater peak load in KFMIRL and that the x-axis in the RS4 KFMIOP is shifted upwards to reflect this greater load for a given %Torque request.

Case closed.

Berttos, thanks for the analysis. I believe you are SPOT ON. Also, I believe you are right about the timing oscillations being the result of improperly calibrated TM parameters. However, even WITH req torque well above act torque, I still see timing intervention. I have yet to discover the source.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2011, 02:32:06 PM »

Exactly what I thought we would find when comparing the S4 and RS4 maps...

IOP needs to be modeled to how you want the motor to react to the load... and IRL needs to be made with that in mind IMO.

I will start to do some playing around to see how it effects this all maybe this weekend... if not then not until after H2Oi as I have too much going on from now till then.

SCHNELL ENGINEERING BLOG ·  STANDALONE ECUS · TUNING · DYNO · WIRING · PARTS · VEMS
judeisnotobscure

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2011, 03:25:55 PM »

Exactly what I thought we would find when comparing the S4 and RS4 maps...

IOP needs to be modeled to how you want the motor to react to the load... and IRL needs to be made with that in mind IMO.

I will start to do some playing around to see how it effects this all maybe this weekend... if not then not until after H2Oi as I have too much going on from now till then.
You better stop by my booth at h20 and say hi.  Grin

I have a b5 s4
but i just want to dance.
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2011, 04:41:50 PM »

You better stop by my booth at h20 and say hi.  Grin

No guarantees I will make it to the show again this year. All depends on how hard I partied the nights before lol. Last time i woke up at 6pm on Sunday Tongue

But if I go I will stop by for sure.

s5fourdoor

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2011, 04:55:01 PM »

For the sake of contributing the best that I can, would it be possible for somebody to send me the KFMIRL / KFMIOP / (misc.) including the Axis-Limits for both the S4 and RS4?  I could do a precise MATLAB interpolation to get the desired "reverse-mapping" of the RS4 setup onto the S4's tables.  Of course, if thats what we wanted...  From what Berttos has suggested, even the RS4 torque control is too buttery?
julex

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2011, 06:07:26 AM »

For the sake of contributing the best that I can, would it be possible for somebody to send me the KFMIRL / KFMIOP / (misc.) including the Axis-Limits for both the S4 and RS4?  I could do a precise MATLAB interpolation to get the desired "reverse-mapping" of the RS4 setup onto the S4's tables.  Of course, if thats what we wanted...  From what Berttos has suggested, even the RS4 torque control is too buttery?

You don't have to "reverse map" the values... all you need to do is to alter the respective RPM axis for the map to have RS4 values. Almost if not all maps in RS4 have respective Axis maps associated with them so that the engineers can whip out binaries like S4 and RS4 using the same management software by just changing bunch of maps, like altering X-Axis values for KFMIRL maps for example.

TunerPro XDF has several Axis maps already defined. Defining your own is fairly easy since each map must have the axis table location defined in its specifications in TunerPro, it is just a matter of taking that address and using it for the purpose of Axis map.
TTQS
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2011, 06:38:02 AM »

Thanks to BerTTos again for top notch analysis. After posting previously, it became clear that KFMIOP/KFMIRL are indeed for tuning the torque delivery profile, not the output magnitude. I think I'm happier about that than I was before, which is good.

I have an RS4 OLS file which I will upload when I get back. All the parameters are fully defined just not grouped together into the funktionsrahmen modules.

One exercise I was going through which I felt would be informative was to trace the torque model through the diagrams from KFPED to throttle angle/intake manifold pressure, identifying the input and output variables and maps involved at each step.

I got about 8 steps in when I got confused at FUEDK. That's when BerTTos posted up his original question. I'll continue with it when I get back home then post it up in a separate thread so we can all pick over it and come to overall conclusions about where the tuner should intervene and for what purpose.

My present understanding is that LDRMX profile should be altered to increase output under WOT conditions but I'm not sure about increasing torque under part throttle.

TTQS
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 03:25:50 AM by TTQS » Logged
berTTos

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2011, 07:38:20 AM »

You don't have to "reverse map" the values... all you need to do is to alter the respective RPM axis for the map to have RS4 values. Almost if not all maps in RS4 have respective Axis maps associated with them so that the engineers can whip out binaries like S4 and RS4 using the same management software by just changing bunch of maps, like altering X-Axis values for KFMIRL maps for example.

TunerPro XDF has several Axis maps already defined. Defining your own is fairly easy since each map must have the axis table location defined in its specifications in TunerPro, it is just a matter of taking that address and using it for the purpose of Axis map.

I agree that it's not as straight forward as simply making KFMIOP match exactly KFMIRL for given data points.  I'm sure Audi had Juergen, Wolfgang and Hans all dedicated to tuning KFMIOP for months with engine stands, dyno runs and road testing. I think for us it's going to take a lot of trial and error.  It would be nice if we could come up with a few different table combinations representing different 'personalities' that we could make available via base tunes.

Thanks All for the input and discussion.  This place is quite a change from the usual rumour and innuendo.
Snow Trooper

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2011, 10:59:25 AM »

I have had trouble locating axis maps this way at times, how do you decide the equation values?

cartoons?
6A 61 72 65 64 40 76 6C 6D 73 70 65 63
berTTos

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »

I have had trouble locating axis maps this way at times, how do you decide the equation values?

the conversion values are always in there if you click the 'edit' button on the axis tabs in the 'Edit Parameter XDF Info' dialog box, no? (accessible by right clicking a table in the Parameter Tree in TunerPro).

when looking to see what other tables share an axis - i use the gbox xdf -
http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php/topic,201.0.html

remove the .xdf extension and open it in Internet Explorer - then do a find and replace for the address and note the tables it appears in.
Snow Trooper

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2011, 12:05:40 PM »

yeah i was being a moron, I failed to just check the equation of the associated map. Grin

cartoons?
6A 61 72 65 64 40 76 6C 6D 73 70 65 63
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: