Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: K-line bridging for logging  (Read 9939 times)
golfputtputt

« on: January 23, 2018, 09:29:42 PM »

I came across someone who did this in the me7logger thread and wanted to replicate the technique in order to be able to log without pulling the cluster fuse (can no longer log vehicle speed, selected gear or know how fast i'm going while logging. not a fan):

Hi everybody!

First of all big thanks to this forum! I'm new and try to learn as many as I can from all this good information I can find on this forum.

I have an Audi S3 from 2001 engine AMK. I found out about this logger and really wanted to use it but on my car I could not connect if the ignition was on. I read all this posts and found out that a solution is to route the K line from ECU directly to OBD port. I didn't want to cut the wires and add a switch so I started to check the wires diagram in ElsaWin.  There I found out that the diagnostic wire (K-wire) from ECU is routed through dash panel and this is connected by the immobilizer, I always could connect with VagCom but not with ME7Logger, so while I was in my garage it was very silent and I could hear a relay in the dash that was clicking when I was connecting with VagCom.
So I found out in ElsaWin that K wire from ECU is in fact on the 32 pins green connector on pin number 5 and K line that is connected to the OBD port is pin 28, so I connected pin 28 with pin 5 and here it goes, ME7Logger works perfect now. I guess VagCom sends a special command to dash panel in order to connect the ECU K line to the diagnostic K line which is actually connected with all the other modules in the car. I think this was somehow a protection so that you can't access the ECU without a key with valid immobilizer.

Hope this post helps other people.  Please let me know if you need me to check the wiring diagrams for other cars.

Best regards!

I tried the doubleslowinnit and sub 15 sample rate override techniques which presented challenges as well that I could not figure out how to solve.

I dove into my bentley wiring diagrams and found that on my 2002 mk4 1.8t the green connector behind the instrument cluster has a wire going to the ECM (White/grey) at pin 5 (Pin 28 was can/bus lo, didn't want that). My OBD2 K-line communication pin was pin 7 (also white/grey).
So, I cut and soldered a bridge wire from the wire from pin 7 to pin 5 (leaving the original wire from the OBD2 port to go where it went originally, I could not find where it connects to in my wiring diagrams). Now I can no longer communicate with me7logger or VCDS and get an "Error! Exit Code1 Echo test failed" from me7logger and a "Port ok, Interface not found" error from VCDS.
Did I forget something? Is this technique not executable on my car? Did I connect to the wrong wire? Do I need to add the switch somehow, is it necessary? Do I need to snip the wire that goes to the OBD2 port originally and direct connect to the ECM?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:35:53 PM by golfputtputt » Logged
prj

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 12:47:13 AM »

If you use the correct speed and double slowinit you do not need to do this.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
golfputtputt

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 07:55:25 AM »

Ok so I tried a few things with my ecu file:

Code:
Connect           =Slow-0x00 DoubleDelay  =12       ;Possible values 1 .. 100
Communicate   =HM0           ;Possible values: HM0, HM2-0x10
Logspeed         =125000    ;Possible values: 10400, 14400

etc, the rest of the .ecu wasn't modified. And:

Code:
Connect           =Slow-0x00
DoubleDelay     =12           ;Possible values: 1 .. 100
Communicate   =HM0           ;Possible values: HM0, HM2-0x10
Logspeed         =125000    ;Possible values: 10400, 14400

etc, the rest of the .ecu wasn't modified. Both of which (double delay on same or different line) resulted in this:

https://i.imgur.com/QPyoNM0.jpg

Code:
An error occurred while updating communication
infoSystem.IO.InvalidDataException: [Communication] settings failed to update
properly in ecu file.
  at VisualME7logger.Configuration.ECUFile.UpdateCommunicationInfo(String
connect, String communicate, String logspeed)
  at VisualME7Logger.SettingsForm.btnStartLog_Click(Object sender,  EventArgs e)

Before VisualMe7logger begins logging. Did I write the connect line wrong in the .ecu file? This all occurred before I tried this K-line wiring thing and was fully able to log with the instrument cluster fuse pulled and had VCDS operating fine. I tried it at 25 samples, 15 and 10. No change. Had not played with the baud rate.

I did switch on ignition power but did not start the car, then hit 'start log' on VisualMe7logger. Is DoubleSlowInnit not compatible with VisualMe7logger or something?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 08:00:47 AM by golfputtputt » Logged
prj

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 11:55:46 AM »

Use the command line tool.
Also, doubledelay should not be on the same line.
Also, do not specify doubledelay unless you REALLY know what you are doing. And you don't.

Turn ignition on, connect, then start the car after it is logging.

Log your car properly.
golfputtputt

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 02:18:03 PM »

Thanks, I'll try that and see if it works.

unless you REALLY know what you are doing. And you don't.

What was the need to point this out?

posted in noob questions..
golfputtputt

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 08:12:45 PM »

Wrote the .ecu line 1 dozens of different ways. Countless ways. cmd prompt, GUI, tried both, every baud rate, every sample rate, tried every different setting (after snipping my k-line bridge.)

Tons of different errors. Sometimes I'll launch it and get one error, close out everything, re-launch and get a completely different error after changing absolutely nothing.

Tried writing new .ecu files unplugged just to see if I could get the logger to open and error, sometimes yes under slow-0x01 but then line 1 in ecu file error. Made every possible change in line 1 from the word Connect all the way to the end. Cant get it to work. I've wasted hours of my life on this worthless freeware. I give up. Installing a K-line switch, maybe, just maybe for the love of all that is holy, that will work. Fuck this, I'm DONE.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 09:39:12 PM by golfputtputt » Logged
SB_GLI

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 08:39:35 PM »

Installing a switch was the only way I could get my mkiv to log too.  The other option was pulling the cluster fuse, and that sucked.  I've never had this issue on any other me7 vehicles, just mkiv 1.8t's
golfputtputt

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 08:49:00 PM »

yea I've been pulling the fuse and it does suck. What a pain in the ass these mk4's are...

So looking into the wiring for the pins I connected. Pin 5 in the cluster green connector is a direct line to the ECU and is apparently called the W-line (not K, odd) and from the cluster to the OBD is K but both are the same color but different gauge....

This double way communication line isn't resistance sensitive is it?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 08:51:58 PM by golfputtputt » Logged
prj

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 02:56:03 AM »

I have logged plenty of MK4's without any switches or anything else.

The only "error" that was posted was the one where the file was screwed up and ME7Logger never even got launched.

Some commandline output would be nice, you know, so someone could help - but naah, let's just whine like a little bitch instead.

Log your car properly.
macxxx

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 05:19:13 AM »

W-line is for immo , isn't it?
jimmcgee5

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 06:39:38 AM »

just a wee suggestion here , have you tried using a different laptop , my old ibm used to drop the logging connection all the time , and I had to stop and restart it , I now run an HP laptop with windows 10 and it runs like a champ , never drops the connection  ? , might be worth a try .
golfputtputt

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 07:31:23 AM »

just a wee suggestion here , have you tried using a different laptop , my old ibm used to drop the logging connection all the time , and I had to stop and restart it , I now run an HP laptop with windows 10 and it runs like a champ , never drops the connection  ? , might be worth a try .

I had a small acer I was logging with but that started acting up more than my current laptop. I've only got one windows computer and its from 2007 and its a partitioned mac so i'm definitely fighting uphill, but i know that and money is reeeeeeeeally tight. Thanks for the suggestion though, good idea.

What allows VCDS to log data without interuption but me7logger cant?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 08:14:30 AM by golfputtputt » Logged
prj

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 10:45:03 AM »

Correct speed, correct initialization.
All doable with ME7Logger.

Log your car properly.
golfputtputt

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 11:05:46 AM »

I'll have a look at VCDS later. Is there a way to view those settings so I can write them into my .ecu file?

W-line is for immo , isn't it?

You had me questioning this at first but no, the W line is near to the immo stuff in that green connector and appears to go through the cluster and becomes the k-line.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 06:50:15 PM by golfputtputt » Logged
316LV

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 07:27:03 PM »

I've got a 2002 Jetta. I used a Double Pole Double Throw switch to go between bypass and full K-line. The colours/pins should be the same as your car:

I just cut the K-line going to the cluster plug and the K-line to the OBD port. I connected each end of the cut wires to the switch as illustrated. Mounted the switch behind the fuse cover door in the plastic above the fuse panel. Flip it one way for logging (bypass) and the other for diagnostics (normal). Works great. Never fails to connect or log in bypass. Give it a go...

Caveat. I did that diagram a couple of beers into the night. All pins are from memory. K-line is Grey/White so if that doesn't match, go no further.

Go ahead and give me negative karma... I don't care if you like what I post princess.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: