Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: First time tuning - MED9.1 Audi S3  (Read 21230 times)
bobbyz0r

« on: March 29, 2016, 05:32:46 AM »

Hi guys. Been lurking nefmoto for a little while now. Was planning to get a cheap VAG 1.8T car to mess with, but ended up buying an Audi S3.

Bought a MPPS V16 clone, which has worked well. It read my ECU no problem, albeit taking almost 20 minutes (is this normal?).

Software is 8P0907115AQ. This is the 188kw/~255PS file we got down under.

Had a crack at looking for files using on of the well defined MED9.1 bins, the MK5 GTI.

Managed to find (using Basano's MED9.1 basics thread as a starting point):

LDRXN@1CF816
KFMIRL@1CD46C
KFMIOP@1CAD56
KFLDIMX@1CFA30
LAMFA (x3) @ 1D7716, 1D778E, 1D7806

Just a few questions to get started:

Why are there 3 LAMFA maps (all identical)?

Also, is this KFLDIMX map right:

The S3 is above, and the MK5 GTI Damos below. The axis for hPa is slightly different. Is this still the right map?

Finally, how likely is this NMAX:

This is the closest thing to NMAX I think i can find. Compared to another S3 .ORI I've been looking at, it looks totally different. I'm about 99% sure the rev limit is set at 6800 rpm, but I could be wrong.

Anyways, I have attached the original read I got.

Any help is much appreciated!!
gman86

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 07:32:56 AM »

Three load maps are for coding variants.

Your DIMX axis looks a wee bit off. On my Golf R (1K8907115F), the error axis goes up to 1600mbar. Whats your factor? It should be 0.039063.
gman86

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 07:36:43 AM »

Yep, your DIMX looks off. This is your ORI:

bobbyz0r

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 06:43:18 PM »

Yep, your DIMX looks off. This is your ORI:

Cheers, I had the completely wrong axis address. I was using 1DEF08, but the proper one is 1CFF3C.

Was using the same factor, 0.0039063 * EEPROM

Just trying to get all the basic maps I need first. Also need to buy a VCDS cable before I can even bother trying anything  Undecided
gman86

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 02:54:07 AM »

Yes. Without VCDS, you'll be blind as a bat  Cool Cool

Glad to see someone else getting involved with MED9. I've been playing with it for just over a year on and off and am working on a calibration on my 2012 Golf R DSG. Currently running Evoms intake and APR HPFP. Stock exhaust and intercooler for now. Running 350bhp with 360lbft.
technic

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 02:48:56 PM »

No offense, but MED9 is old school now Cheesy
gman86

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 03:43:11 PM »

Compared to the coal fired ME7 that's 98% dominant on this forum, it's cutting edge.

Tuners like to hold on to information for some reason instead of releasing it into the public domain. Some folk say it's to "make money". I work in an industry that dwarfs the tuning industry, and we all still manage to make money and nearly everything you need to know can be Googled.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 03:45:15 PM »

Until there are free tools for flashing/logging, and a wiki page as exhaustive as the ME7 page,  it isn't Tongue

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 03:47:14 PM »

I work in an industry that dwarfs the tuning industry

This is probably why information in your industry is more available.

Also, most of the people doing this (tuning cars) have spent a lot of time figuring things out the hard way, spending countless hours, rather than going to school, or having someone else teach/mentor them.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 03:49:13 PM by vwaudiguy » Logged

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 03:48:55 PM »

Tuners like to hold on to information for some reason instead of releasing it into the public domain. Some folk say it's to "make money". I work in an industry that dwarfs the tuning industry, and we all still manage to make money and nearly everything you need to know can be Googled.

Yep. Exactly why the whole tuner attitude pisses me off.

Also exactly why I publish everything I learn.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
gman86

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 04:49:38 AM »

This is probably why information in your industry is more available.

Also, most of the people doing this (tuning cars) have spent a lot of time figuring things out the hard way, spending countless hours, rather than going to school, or having someone else teach/mentor them.

Somebody had to put the groundwork in to understand my industry also. The various training courses that allow you to learn aren't free either - you pay. You can still learn the same stuff without going on it if you're willing to put the groundwork in. Almost everything I've learned has been self taught both in my industry and in tuning, albeit I'm still early days in Motronic tuning.
bobbyz0r

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 05:43:21 AM »

Hopefully MED9 tuning information will start to be made more public, as I expect most of the money to be in the TSI cars (MED17). At least here in Australia, more MED17 based cars are more popular (MK6 GTI and Skoda Octavia RS). Regardless, I can't see pro tuners being pushed out of the industry because of information availability, because most people are still unwilling to try DIY tuning. And I don't think that the majority of us our tuning ourselves to save money, but rather because we want to be able to make our own changes.

Anyways, back on topic, I think I've found all of my KFPED maps. But one odd thing is a couple of them have something odd happening in after 85% pedal:

Not sure if I've just messed up the definitions or if its some oddity of K04 vs the K03 GTI Damos file. Anyone know if this is normal?

Might try and look at some Golf R .ORI from USDM and ADM cars to see if I'm getting similar values.

Here are the maps I've found so far:

(switched to looking for maps in WinOLS Demo, then transferring them to TunerPro)

I've just attached the XDF for anyone else.

Also, another issue I hope won't be too bad is it seems like my ECU uses RSA checksums Sad
MED9Sum doesn't do RSA, but I'm hoping that my MPPS V16 clone will be able to do it.

If not, I'm not sure what to do  Cry

Also, I've heard that MY2010+ S3s (at least in Australia) are different. I'm not sure what the changes could be, because the facelift and Haldex Gen 4 update came in 2008/2009. For example, APR can't do map switching on MY2010+ ECUs. Whether this may have something to do with the RSA checksums, I have no idea. If someone could shed some light, that would be great. I hoping worse case scenario, I'll need a KESS V2 clone or something to do the checksums..
gman86

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 06:03:56 AM »

I've written S3 ECUs no problem using MPPS v13 and v16. It might be worth taking a backup of your ECU anyway.

The map switching on the 2010+ is due to a lack of space for the extra code required (so say APR).

Once I'm home I'll have a look at the pedal maps. I don't see it being a problem though as after a certain point, the throttle plate is no longer a restriction so is opened WOT anyway.
bobbyz0r

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 12:37:46 AM »

Haven't had much free time lately to venture further in my tuning quest.

However, I did realise I originally only did a data read.

I just did a full read. Would I be correct in saying that with the full read from my MPPS clone, the data between 6C00 - 7009 is my IMMO data? And if something were to go terribly wrong, I could BDM it to another ECU?

I'm not really fussed, as if my original one does get bricked, I will probably just get another one and IMMO-OFF it. I would just rather not have to buy a BDM and open up my ECU.

Also, found a fair few more maps:

Any other key maps I really need to start off with? I know I still need to define KFZWOP.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 09:33:06 AM »

Would I be correct in saying that with the full read from my MPPS clone, the data between 6C00 - 7009 is my IMMO data?

Yes, I believe this is the case. You should be able to move that block into another ecu and have it start / have immo active in another ecu. Did you use v13 or v16 to do the read?

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: