Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Allroad Compressed Air Quick Spool Switch  (Read 38205 times)
ruan

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2016, 06:42:59 AM »

I would expect it to make very little difference... Obviously yes when you do it to the turbocharger out of the car and you point your air line at the turbine/compressor, it spools up quick - however the turbocharger was stopped to begin with and if you keep on the air line, it doesn't get much better. Also think about what happens when you attach a boost hose to it and start actually compressing... The actual amount of energy being transferred into the rotating assembly is frankly sweet FA unless you're dumping a LARGE amount of air in!

As has been mentioned previously - think of ways to increase exhaust gas energy...

All IMHO of course.
pablo53

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2016, 01:04:30 AM »

I've still got a few months before I have the cash to start this build.   

Once I get to the point of testing, if I can't get 15-20k rpm with compressed air alone, I'll just bag it.  No harm done.

One other concern of mine is the potential damage and/or warping of turbine blades due to blowing air that is ambient temperature.   Looking at the design of the stock Volvo setup, air is injected as far away from the turbine section as possible.  I wonder if the reason for that is so the compressed air has a change to mix with exhaust gas prior to reaching the turbine blades.
pablo53

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2017, 05:38:39 PM »

I just wanted to post an update to this:

After running some tests with a journal bearing GTX3582R knock off, the compressed air with various nozzles ranging from 1/16" to 5/16" @ 120 psi just didn't generate enough rpm on the turbo.    I'm talking < 5k rpm.  

So I've ended up bagging the idea.   Perhaps with a ball bearing turbo of GT30 sized turbine would show some results.

I ended up going with a 12.8:1 compression ratio on this build for running 50% or larger ethanol content fuel and I expect to have much more noticable throttle response under all conditions.

Results will be posted in the vehicles section soon.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 05:42:10 PM by pablo53 » Logged
vwaudiguy

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2017, 05:57:07 PM »

Appreciate the update,

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: