Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: "failed to read test echo from FTDI device" error  (Read 21232 times)
jameswalker

« on: August 01, 2016, 02:09:31 AM »

Morning,

I am trying to use nefmoto for the first time but I receive the above error when trying to establish a connection with the cable.

Before I begin, I have searched and found an identically named thread from 2012 and have read through its entirety trying the suggestions out. I have spent about 6 hours trying to get this to work now. That said, I will continue. I thought I would make a new thread to point out that this issue still exists for people.

I am using windows 7 64bit on a laptop with a ross tech hex can usb cable. I am bench powering the ECU. ME7.1.1 G. 022 906 032 CE. For the BUB engine, golf MK5 R32. ECU year 2004.

As a proof of concept, I can run VCDS and read the fault codes from the ECU perfectly with my bench setup. Many faults as you would expect from an ECU running without anything connected.

I set the cable into dumb mode by disabling the "boot in intelligent mode" checkbox. I confirmed it has stuck by removing the cable, restarting the laptop and it comes back up still with that check box disabled, so thats good. I then use VCDS to confirm I can still communicate, its all fine so I then close the app.

I have tried uninstalling the driver, uninstalling the app, reinstalling, but with the same error. When trying to click "connect slow init" the log will show "failed to read test echo from FTDI device".

I tried another laptop which has never been used with the cable before. Windows 10 this time. I installed the ross tech software including driver, the cable was found straight away. I installed the nefmoto software and tried to establish communication with the ECU but again the same problem! (Someone please confirm this simple installation procedure is correct). I then tried my PC, windows 10, exactly the same again. 3 unrelated machines.

So... I assumed it was either windows 7 or windows 10, or 64 bit. So... I created a VM of windows XP. I ran into a different problem here though, the app would simply hang when I click "connect slow init". This turned out to be because although the device was present and working correctly, there was a problem between the laptop and the VM stopping actual communication to the cable from working. So... I gave up down this path.

Having entirely failed to get nefmoto to connect to my cable... I thought I would prove if I could get galletto functioning as my backup bench flash in boot mode method. I installed the D2XX drivers (a version as found here on the forum). I installed mprog and matched the serial number to the galletto software I am using - the english version found here on the forum. This procedure proves that I can correctly talk to the FTDI cable and that the driver installation has been successful. I subsequently fail to read the ECU info with galletto, in either boot more or non boot mode. Perhaps this second issue deserves its own topic?

So... any pointers as to what I might try next would be good. I would guess the issue is somehow driver related, but I don't see how to fix it. Should I buy the "blue" cable? I already have ross tech hex and a galletto cable... adding another won't be a problem. Or perhaps if anyone is local (Reading) you could test my cable on a working machine?! Or I test your cable on mine?

Thanks,
James
jameswalker

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 02:45:31 AM »

Having re-read the similar threads, every time this same error is with a ross-tech cable. I have just bought 2 more cables (non ross-tech) as they were cheap, I will see if I have better luck there. Seems some VCDS cables are getting upset! I will update when I receive them.
nubcake

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 02:54:12 PM »

VCDS cable doesn't seem to work for me unless I run VCDS software first, re-check the "dumb mode", then TEST, and only then launch nefmoto or me7l. Having a separate FTDI cable to get rid of this hassle also works. Smiley

EDIT: this is with VCDS VCP drivers installed ofc.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 03:18:09 PM by nubcake » Logged
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 02:55:28 PM »

Also, try the VCP VCDS driver

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/usb/virtual-com-port.html

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
jameswalker

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 02:21:51 AM »

so you are saying, using the above driver, you need to make the combo box selection each time, test, close the app THEN launch nefmoto?

I will try that, thanks. I also ordered an alternative FTDI cable. For the peanuts they cost... its worth a try.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 10:49:57 AM »

so you are saying, using the above driver, you need to make the combo box selection each time, test, close the app THEN launch nefmoto?

No, I don't have to do any of that ...

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
nubcake

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 02:46:54 PM »

Works for me only by using that ritual. But my VCDS is some old cheap knockoff, must be related to that.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 02:54:23 PM »

Works for me only by using that ritual. But my VCDS is some old cheap knockoff, must be related to that.

Yes, if you have a knockoff, expect all sorts of issues. Not sure if the OP has a real RossTech cable or a knockoff.

ECUx Plot

turboat

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 03:28:34 PM »

I never managed to get nef working with my rosstech lead, given the cost of the blue kkl leads I decided it wasn't worth the effort (and minor risk of bricking the rosstech).
jameswalker

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 01:48:17 AM »

My rosstech cable is legit, purchased 18 months ago for my turbo conversion. My galletto, blue and random other lead (yet to arrive) are not. Hoping they arrive soon so I can test some of the above!

Thanks,
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 02:37:50 AM »

You shouldn't have any problems with a genuine ross tech cable Sad

Do you have another ECU you can test?

ECUx Plot

jameswalker

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 02:04:01 AM »

I don't think this error is related to the ECU from what I have read. Nefmoto cannot even communicate with the cable; falls over after the first hurdle.

I do have a polo which I guess will use a similar ECU to the golf. Though I would rather not remove the ECU in that car; it cannot afford downtime. Whereas it doesn't really matter if the golf doesn't drive  Smiley

I will try the above mentioned sequence by nubcake, though it will have to be at the weekend. I will of course keep this updated!
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 09:51:17 AM »

I don't think this error is related to the ECU from what I have read.

No, i mean an ECU (different PN) that is known to work with Nef to make sure your cable set up is right.

ECUx Plot

jameswalker

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 01:19:43 PM »

I tried the VCP VCDS driver, I still got "failed to read test echo from FTDI device". Using the new driver, I was able to use VCDS on the bench still, so I know the driver change had worked.

I received the budget KKL cable too, though it seems a bit flakey. Nefmoto never detects it as a valid device.

The drivers that came with this cable (blue one) did not install on windows 7 64bit. Could someone please confirm which driver I should be using for this cable and OS?

I managed to get an ECU read using galletto so I am at least partially there! Thanks
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 02:38:43 PM »

I received the budget KKL cable too, though it seems a bit flakey. Nefmoto never detects it as a valid device.

Likely not an FTDI cable (CH340 etc) or FTDI clone. Burn it.

ECUx Plot

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: