Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Author Topic: 2001 all-road 2.7 ST build  (Read 98305 times)
spacecadet

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 02:19:04 PM »

lol it makes sense and matches was just having some thinking out loud stuff going on. appreciate the attachment.
Carsinc

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 08:37:12 PM »

I cant see the notches in the cams ignore the arrows. Just count pins ignore the rest till after
spacecadet

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 12:20:22 PM »

cool, figuring out oil feed now. PO tapped the feed block NPT and used teflon to seal 0_o. Thinking ill get a new distributor block, AN banjo for feed one side and plumb an oil pressure sender in the other. Also welding up the coolant lines to delete aux pump.
spacecadet

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 08:34:01 PM »

pipes welded up, tested, installed. Stuck because have wrong water pump gasket.

also picked up some 17z calipers. dear jesus they are big!
spacecadet

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2016, 01:23:41 PM »

Motor together, preparing to weld up exhaust manifolds.

Question: At what point are the stock fuel rails/ FPR no longer valid?
spacecadet

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2016, 08:19:49 PM »

decided to just go with stock fuel rails/fpr for now. Milled .151" off the manifold so the injectors seat nicely.

waiting on pipe for manifolds.
spacecadet

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 02:35:42 PM »

well I failed at manifold version 1. Everything fit, but i never test fit them with the bottom studs bolted! so bottom nuts contacted pipe would not fasten, should have parts for v2 Saturday.
Carsinc

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 07:30:52 PM »

Is there anyway you could post pics?
spacecadet

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 11:22:52 AM »

sigh ive been avoiding processing and uploading them. heres what i have thus far
motor out, helper in background:

Taking motor apart:

rebuilding trannY:

putting heads back together:

tested out Chem dip to remove carbon. it works amazingly.

block painted crank going in

ie rods:

mostly assembled:

waiting for manifolds:

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2016, 11:30:17 AM »

I'm just saying, it might be a good idea to drive something similar to what you're building in advance to make sure it's going to drive the way you want. I enjoy my K03 tuned car a lot more than this 500 hp ST...At least on the street. Good example is that 1200 hp 16v turbo (Boba). It's only good in a straight line on the expressway at speeds that will land you in jail, or kill you, and making cool youtube videos. I have mad respect for their build, but I personally don't think the car would be fun to drive most of the time.

I know I'm late to the party, but I agree. Not a huge fan of gigantic lag monsters. If I wanted that i'd build a supra or an old GT-R

The beauty of the 2.7t is good power (400-500whp) with very low lag and usable torque band. It is very rare for displacements that small.

To each his own though.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Carsinc

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2016, 09:13:18 PM »

I know I'm late to the party, but I agree. Not a huge fan of gigantic lag monsters. If I wanted that i'd build a supra or an old GT-R

The beauty of the 2.7t is good power (400-500whp) with very low lag and usable torque band. It is very rare for displacements that small.

To each his own though.

I hate it when you pop up and make sense and shit, SHHHH we want to build dumb big turbos and silly unusable
power in a very small power band. But we will be smiling big on the highway driving straight.
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2016, 03:50:30 AM »

Oh well, there are also people that use this turbo on 2.0 displacement. He will totally slay them in the corners too Grin
I appreciate all build efforts, and the 2.7t will still push better out side of spool than a smaller engine. Go for it  Smiley

spacecadet

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2016, 05:55:24 PM »

Well I continue to learn more about tig welding. Was welding up the new manifolds today randomly the weld would just turn to shit and start spraying like i was stick welding. Could not figure it out. I cut the parts off, re-cut, re-ground, re-cleaned so many times. Gas flow check, purge check. BAM randomly it would happen again. Then I was so frustrated with the events i smashed the pyrex cup on my torch.

I did figure it out.

Long story short, don't weld with the door open when its breezy Sad

On the single vs twins. I agree lower spool more area under the curve faster car, however; for me I have always wanted a big single car(that's relative). Car came with a Single on it already so a lot of the provisions to have twins are removed and it is now cost prohibitive to have them over the single. I do appreciate the input though and I really have considered it several times, and still am.

I'll probably end up unhappy, c'est la vie.
Carsinc

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2016, 07:02:38 PM »

other ? what did you use on the piston and rod.
spacecadet

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2016, 07:11:38 PM »

https://www.amazon.com/Berryman-0996-Chem-Dip-Carburetor-Cleaner/dp/B00DSMEL2A
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: