Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bought a salvage/part out car. 2 days later I lost the key........  (Read 4440 times)
SteveAR

Car is 2004 Audi Allroad

It had one key and started/ran fine.

Lost key cause I'm a moron.

Through my reading, this seems to be the best path for me:

1. buy ignition cylinder and matching (cut) key off EBAY.
2. Install in car
(This will at least allow me to turn the ignition on)
3. Use software to extract SKC from instrument cluster
4. Buy new key/RFID device and install in EBAY key
5. Use vag-com and SKC to program key to car
6. Start car again

Does this sound right?   Is there a different or easier way?

I have my DD which is also an Allroad.  I wonder if it would be easier to remove the instrument cluster from the salvage car, install it in my Daily Driver, pull SKC and then swap clusters back.  Then I would only need to buy the new key/rfid.   Don't want to screw up my DD though.  Opinions appreciated!!
SteveAR

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 06:26:22 AM »

Upon further thought, maybe a cluster read/dump is not needed/necessary?  Maybe I can use the software available here to read the immo chip on the back of the ECU?   3-4 years ago I had a complete bench flash setup all ironed out.  I could pull that out of my basement.  Power up the dead cars ECU on the bench and connect/read the info I need with one of my dumb USB OBDII cables?    Don't know the best/easiest option.   I haven't messed with this stuff in like 4 years so you tend to forget......
EuroXs4

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 09:25:20 AM »

Why not buy a key from the dealer.If the car never had the locks changed they will be cut to the vin.With this you will avoid having a different lock cylinder in the door and the ignition.

Or just hot wire the ignition switch with no key if its a part out car and disable the immobilizer in the ecu.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 09:27:27 AM by EuroXs4 » Logged
f1torrents

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 09:56:46 AM »

If you were close to Toronto I could make you a key for the existing cylinders and program it in 30 mins.
SteveAR

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 11:26:46 AM »

Thanks for the thoughts but I eventually found the key.  I wouldn't have been able to go to the dealer.  This is a part-out car with out title.  So I have no title/registration etc.  I'm fairly certain I can't walk into the dealer with just a VIN and have a key cut.  Smiley
EuroXs4

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 08:10:28 PM »

When you order a key they come cut to the vin with a blank immo id pill.But yes you need to show proof of ownership.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: