Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Failed to read test echo from FTDI device  (Read 6636 times)
adcs

« on: November 20, 2016, 07:19:55 PM »

Hey guys,

I am having trouble getting Nefmoto to accept any of my 232R flashing cables. When hitting 'Connect slow init' I get the following messages:

Failed to read test echo from FTDI device.
Could not open FTDI device.

Cables I have tried which should work:
- 232R cable from a US eBay vendor (recommended from the late Daz) - no test echo
- 232R cable from a China eBay vendor - no test echo
- Ross Tech VCDS cable (dumb mode) - no test echo

All of the cables have 232R chips (reported by windows as well as via visual inspection by me). Nefmoto recognizes the cables. I have tried various FTDI driver combos (presently using the latest FTDI V2.12.24) on all 3 cables as well as the Ross Tech VCP drivers on the hex+can cable. No joy. One thing I found odd which might be an indicator of something is before I try to read anything, if I hover over the cable description in Nefmoto it says Premium Feature Licensing Supported. After attempting to connect and getting the no test echo message, if I hover over the cable again it now states Premium Licensing Feature NOT Supported.... ?

Also just because, I tried my other cables not expecting them to work but why not right?

- Galleto 1260 cable (no test echo)
- MPPS V13 (no test echo)
- VAG KKL with Ch340 chip (no test echo) (useless cable only good for reading cluster EEPROM)

Nefmoto version is 1.9.3.2

I know I am installing the drivers correctly since the Ross Tech cable works fine with VCDS and my galletto 1260 cable works fine with Galletto as well as the various EEPROM tools on this site...Also I know my bench harness works since the above works without issue.

What am I doing wrong...?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 07:50:17 PM »

Is VCP enabled?

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
adcs

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 08:14:49 PM »

In device manager? Yes, Load VCP is checked.

Pic of cables I am using attached...

« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 08:16:48 PM by adcs » Logged
adcs

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 05:45:03 AM »

Still can't get this working. :-(

I would love to be able to flash over OBD instead of bootmode all the time. It is a royal pain getting the ecu out of the plenum box on a B6/7....
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 11:06:43 AM »

I don't think you'll get a test echo unless the cable is communicating with the ecu.

Could easily be a different issue.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
adcs

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 08:00:35 PM »

Thanks

Tried 1xME7.1, 3xME7.1.1 and 1xME7.5
Same result. Those ecus all work in boot mode.
adcs

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 08:19:09 PM »

I don't know what I was doing before but it works fine now...I blame it on lack of sleep due to newborn....lol
SteveAR

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 06:17:35 PM »

I am having this EXACT same problem and would appreciate some help from someone.  Basically verbatim to the first post of this thread.  I have three different cables, two ebay cables and my HEX+CAN ross-tech cable.  I get the echo error on all three cables.  Tried two different ECM's, one of which I know is good.  I also get the strange behavior where each cable is recognized by the software (hover over the cable name in the drop down box) and the "premium features supported" switches to "premium features not supported" Once I've attempted to connect.   Load VCP is selected, no issues/errors in my device manager.  VAG-COM works fine.    One of the cables is from my collection from a few years ago and I know the cable worked fine back then.  I don't know what version of nefmoto software I was running at the time.  Windows 7 64BIT.
Thanks!
SteveAR

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 07:01:00 PM »

Just so everyone knows, you have to be connected to your ECU for the echo to work.  I brought my laptop/cable out to my car and the software connected first try.  I then came in and re-checked my bench flash setup.  After switching to a different power supply I could then connect on my work bench as well.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: