Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2.7t central bolt. clockwise or counter clockwise to remove?  (Read 9616 times)
mattyC27tt

« on: January 24, 2017, 11:16:17 PM »

I've heard horror stories concearning the main crankshaft bolt but none touched on the direction it must turn to remove it.  However one  story I did hear involved 2 200 plus pound polish guys, a 6 ft bar and a blowtorch and im not even kidding.i think I read it on Audizine or something.
AARDQ

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 11:50:55 PM »

No, not reverse thread.  Pull the fuel pump fuse, use the starter motor to break it loose.  If you are only doing the timing belt, it does not need to be removed.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 12:00:32 AM by AARDQ » Logged
gman86

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 09:26:04 AM »

I've heard horror stories concearning the main crankshaft bolt but none touched on the direction it must turn to remove it.  However one  story I did hear involved 2 200 plus pound polish guys, a 6 ft bar and a blowtorch and im not even kidding.i think I read it on Audizine or something.

Do Polish pounds weight more than other pounds?
prj

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 09:29:43 AM »

I would remove the ECU connector not the pump fuse.
If there is fuel in the lines it could start for a moment and it could be disastrous.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
AARDQ

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 10:19:44 AM »

Good point.
gman86

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 10:27:40 AM »

I would remove the ECU connector not the pump fuse.
If there is fuel in the lines it could start for a moment and it could be disastrous.

It would more than likely undo the bolt. And many other things  Grin
QuickS4

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 04:07:00 PM »

No, not reverse thread.  Pull the fuel pump fuse, use the starter motor to break it loose.  If you are only doing the timing belt, it does not need to be removed.
Not unless you're planning on replacing the starter afterwards. Best thing would be to find someone the correct tool to hold the timing pulley in place with a breaker bar (4ft no less) while another person breaks free the crank bolt with the other breaker bar (again 4ft).  That's the safest way, short of buying new parts that burnt out or broke (crankshaft).  I've seen starters catch fire because of this method and crankshafts snap off the woodruff key. No more fun after that.

Did mine with the tool, and two 4ft bars...  When the bolt gave, it let off this snap so loud I believed we broke the key.  Lucky it didn't. Clinch moment for sure!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
prj

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 04:12:49 PM »

The starter will only catch fire if you hold it down long like an idiot.
If the starter has enough power it is enough to give it only a short blip. If it doesn't move then it doesn't move.

I do agree with the breaker bar method though.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
AARDQ

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 04:40:00 PM »

The starter will only catch fire if you hold it down long like an idiot.

Indeed.

I've done it this way a couple of times, when no helper is around, and it works fine.
mattyC27tt

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 06:59:08 PM »

so the motors out of the car, im breaking the entire engine down before rebuilding. wasnt thinking about this damn bolt at the time, thinking about remounting it so it will sit still.
mattyC27tt

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 07:02:15 PM »

Not unless you're planning on replacing the starter afterwards. Best thing would be to find someone the correct tool to hold the timing pulley in place with a breaker bar (4ft no less) while another person breaks free the crank bolt with the other breaker bar (again 4ft).  That's the safest way, short of buying new parts that burnt out or broke (crankshaft).  I've seen starters catch fire because of this method and crankshafts snap off the woodruff key. No more fun after that.

Did mine with the tool, and two 4ft bars...  When the bolt gave, it let off this snap so loud I believed we broke the key.  Lucky it didn't. Clinch moment for sure!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
what about tge crank pin thats not enough to hold it? my cousins a mechanics so im sure i can barrow what ever i need but i thought the crank pin would be sufficient
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: