Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Boxster 986 low power  (Read 12263 times)
videovox

« on: April 10, 2017, 02:44:25 AM »

Hello everybody,

I don't have a lot of experience in playing with maps, so please don't be so harsh with me... We are specialized in hardware repair on ECU's and other electronical equipment.

I have a 986 Boxster S 2001 Tiptronic, on which I changed the engine because of a IMS failure. The old engine was a 3.2l with ME7.2 ECU, the new engine is a 3.4l. The new engine has Variocam+, so I could not use the old ECU, which has no support for it. The original ECU ME7.8 for this engine could not be adapted on the car, because of too many differences regarding the other modules, and because ME7.2 has classical lambda sensors and ME7.8 has wideband lambda sensors.
So the only possibility I had was to use an intermediate ECU, ME7.8min. All was great, I managed to set up all the wires and the engine runs very smooth and there are no errors. The problem is that I have very little power. The engine load in full throttle and the spark advance are very low (max 50% and max 20grd).

With the help of Sedox Tuning I recalibrated the maps for the different size of throttle body and different engine capacity. Still no improvement. I tried to mess with KFWZ (1,2,3,4), KFZWOP (1,2,3,4), KFMIOP, KFPED, KFMSNWDK and KFMIRL but the results were pretty the same - no clear changes no matter how much I played with the values.

So I am not sure what limits the power of the engine - the load or the advance. First of all, for tests, I want to deactivate the torque monitoring, to be able to see if the problem comes from this side. As I understand from previous posts, I have to put all values of KFMIZUOF to 99.6, value for TMNSMN to -48 and value for TANSMN to -48. Please let me know if I understood correctly and please tell me any other ideas you may have.

Thanks a lot for your support!
IamwhoIam

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 11:14:23 AM »

Do you have the correct MLHFM in your file?

I have no logs because I have a boost gauge (makes things easier)
videovox

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 01:51:43 PM »

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I really don't know if I have correct MLHFM... How can I test this, as the ME7logger is not good for this ECU (cannot obtain a complete ECU map for my file)? But the firmware I am using is from a vehicle with the same MAF as mine.

These days I tried a lot of eprom firmware (original, not modified) from different engines with same ECU, including the Carrera 3.8l posted here on this forum, and besides some problems with communication between modules (ABS, Tiptronic) the general power of the engine remained the same. The firmware that I worked on did not rise any faults. That fact that all firmwares seems limited in the same way (doesn't matter if the communication with Tiptronic is ok or not) leads me to an assumption that it could be an unreported communication problem with Tiptronic and that keeps the engine at low torque. But it is just a supposition, I have no way to test...

Thanks again for trying to support me.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 02:03:30 PM by videovox » Logged
nubcake

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 02:03:01 PM »

Which logging options do you have?
Can you monitor AFRs?
Got any DTCs?
IamwhoIam

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 01:19:39 AM »

Post your original and modified files, but for all I know, sedox=clueless copyshop

videovox

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 01:52:39 AM »

Hello,
Thanks for your reply.
I drove it like this some hundreds of km and no DTC at all.
I cannot monitor AFR... there is no option on tester.

With ME7logging, when I prepare the ECU and cfg files I get only a few values for monitoring.
You can find attached the file I am using now and the .ECU file from ME7logger.

The ECU is ME7.8min, HW: 0261 206 579, SW: 350598.

Thanks.

videovox

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 01:58:35 AM »

Sorry, I posted twice the original file and I could not erase it. You can find attached here the modified file.

The file from Sedox has very little difference in the power of the engine...
IamwhoIam

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 03:11:48 AM »

Do you have the original ME7.2 file from your car?

videovox

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 04:07:25 AM »

Yes, sure.
nubcake

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 05:41:30 PM »

But does me7logger actually connect and work?
More parameters can actually be added by hand.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 06:44:57 PM »

The file from Sedox has very little difference in the power of the engine...

The changes are very slight. A few degrees of timing, a few points up in irl, 100 rpm increase in rev limit, etc.

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
videovox

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 12:12:10 AM »

But does me7logger actually connect and work?
More parameters can actually be added by hand.

Thanks for your reply. As there were just a few parameters that could be logged, I didn't try it on the car. I will try today and let you know.

The changes are very slight. A few degrees of timing, a few points up in irl, 100 rpm increase in rev limit, etc.

Thanks for your reply. I also saw this. But I took my chances and tried to modify a lot of maps with larger amounts but the result in engine power was always the same. Also I tried a lot of other original files from different Porsche cars with the same hardware ECU and the results are the same. That is why I suppose that something is clearly limiting it and there is not a problem of tuning maps. Or at least there is a map I missed...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 04:59:25 AM by videovox » Logged
videovox

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 09:09:38 AM »

I tried a lot to make ME7logger work with my car. The error that I could not avoid now is:

found wrong mapping table pointer value 0x0084F2EC

I attached the original file, the .ecu file, logger config and the log file.
Please if help me with this (I know that this software is made for ME7 from VAG group, but I still hope for a solution...).

Thanks.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 09:46:56 AM »

While a far cry from ME7L, you can use a soft called Durametric for rough logging. We have it, and it's useful to an extent.

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
videovox

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2017, 10:05:43 AM »

Thanks for your reply. I have Durametric, I have also Piwis 2, but they are not useful in my case. No evidence of what is limiting my engine...
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: