Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 96 Life. 1.8T Socket Chip Tuning.  (Read 3836 times)
DaniBanani

« on: April 15, 2017, 03:01:23 PM »

So, hey. I'm new here obviously and I just learned about the possibilities in diy tuning, but as usual I think I picked the most difficult and anal way to do it. (Tried looking around for info on my situation, but ended up more confused) so I'll get right into the nitty grits.
My POS is an Audi A4 TQ 1996 (So not 'Murica) with an ooold grandpa chip (0.8bar - immo ON) with more warts than me, although it's socketed so semi-yay.
Other than that it's stock for now.

So please correct me along the way here:
I can't reflash through OBD2 because '96 (Right?)
I can't bench it for the same reason (Yeah?)
I got an EEPROM chip (Possibly EPROM...PROM?, I'll post a picture if needed)
The only way for me to go about this is: Get the hardware with auths' and sockets etc. Buy some EEPROM Chips, do some magic tricks (I'm kinda trailing off after this step), flash the EEPROM Chip with a new map and stick it in using hammers and crowbars.

Now for the extra silly stuff:
My good friend and neighbor is in the same soup (Identical car, better chip with Stage2+test pipe and backup stock map chip)
Can I clone or build off that chip? (I'll inquire about the brand of chip soon)
Can I read my current chip and build of that?
I don't know my ecu type yet so I haven't dug into the Map trading and downloading stuff yet.

That's all I got for now.
If you wanna deter me from all this, I totally get that, but I love this techy nerd stuff... And carbs Roll Eyes
I haven't slept in 30+hours atm
nirape

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 01:39:24 PM »

Hi
You most probably have AEB engine. -96 maybe 557T ending box type.
There is am29f010 chip that can not be programmed in car, you have to remove chip for programming.
Normal way is to use EEPROM emulator that is connected to ECU and computer, with that emulator you can change maps without burning chip for every change.

Box is old and very limited also some say it is hard to tune. Also map files for that box are hard to find.

Good thing is that it is very easy to replace with megasquirt (thats what I did to my -96 A4)
Some also replace the engine loom and box from newer facelift AEB engine or even newer models with me7 series box, but it is not plug and play swap...

In my understanding IMMO data and coding is on separate chip so it is possible to clone that flash chip to another car.

I did have BSR stage 1 and orginal chips for my car and it was possible to just swap chips without any magic tricks.
prj

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 10:52:51 PM »

There is am29f010 chip that can not be programmed in car, you have to remove chip for programming.
No, there is OTP 27c1024.
Box is old and very limited also some say it is hard to tune. Also map files for that box are hard to find.
Nothing limited about it or hard to tune for that matter.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
nirape

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 02:49:56 AM »

Hi
OK so OTP as from factory. I did have socket and 29f010.

Can't really tell if it is easy or not. Only answers that I get was that it is 8bit maps and hard to map. I newer found any info to that 5.xx box. Maybe it is easy if you manage to find some info.

Nevertheless I think it is easier to start from ME7.

Correct if I am wrong.

Rami

prj

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 04:57:44 AM »

Hi
OK so OTP as from factory. I did have socket and 29f010.
Because someone put it there.
Can't really tell if it is easy or not. Only answers that I get was that it is 8bit maps and hard to map. I newer found any info to that 5.xx box. Maybe it is easy if you manage to find some info.
The info is posted on this very forum.
Nevertheless I think it is easier to start from ME7.
ME7 is about 1000 times more complicated than this old ECU.

Basically my message is - do not blame your ineptitude on the ECU.
I've tuned these old ECU's to 400hp multiple times, and the only thing that makes it somewhat difficult is lack of good datalogging.
But the ECU is so simple you don't need to load much besides load and knock retard. Everything else you can get from external sources.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
eliotroyano

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 07:40:23 PM »

Because someone put it there.The info is posted on this very forum.ME7 is about 1000 times more complicated than this old ECU.
Basically my message is - do not blame your ineptitude on the ECU.
I've tuned these old ECU's to 400hp multiple times, and the only thing that makes it somewhat difficult is lack of good datalogging.
But the ECU is so simple you don't need to load much besides load and knock retard. Everything else you can get from external sources.

I think like you, PRJ. Taking in account DaniBanani, that you could be talking about a 1.8T AEB with M382 ECU using stock hardware (turbo, injectors, FPR, MAF, etc...) maybe your cheapest alternative could be migrate to a flashable M383 or M592 ECU. Also you will need a wideband gauge or controller with datalogging capabilities and with some patience you can do wonders. All the info you need is here in the forums. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:50:09 PM by eliotroyano » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: