Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Volkswagens and Submarines  (Read 5849 times)
SUPREME

« on: June 20, 2017, 01:47:04 PM »

This community is awesome just from the lurking and reading I've been doing. I have been part of the VAG community for almost 15 years now, I've been in the NAVY for a little over 7 years. I'm an Electronics Technician (Nuclear) by trade, and just had a custom tune put on my AEB mk4 GTI. After paying to have it tuned I decided I wanted to look into modifying the tune to suit my particular modifications better and to allow for more precise tuning.

All that being said I am still in the weeds and trying to sort everything out. I built a bench flash harness and have VCDS, but have yet to read or write to an ECU. I have several ME7.1 ECUs and have no problem bricking them trying to learn my way around code and the particulars of tuning. If anybody has any questions or suggestions, I'm all ears.

SUPREME

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 05:56:09 PM »

The link to my rebuild is in my signature, but as of right now the car has:

AEB Large intake port head (hand ported exhaust ports)
AGU Large port intake manifold
Forge TIP
Forge DV
APR Carbonio CAI
Godspeed FMIC
TT 2.5" DP with hi-flow cat
TT 2.5" Catback w/ Magnaflow

My tune is custom made Stage 1+ with Immo delete, SAI/Evap Delete, Spikes at 25psi/Holds at 20psi, NLS and LC.

I am going to try to adjust the tune for an upgraded Throttle Body, MAF and Injectors. Eventually getting a larger turbo. (When the funds allow)

RBPE

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 04:39:38 AM »

Welcome.

If your ecu is pro flashed then chances are it has some form of protection on the tune which could cause it to be bricked if you play with it. If you Google "bootmode Nefmoto" you'll see lot's of ways people have got around any bricked ecu's and any of the other ones you play with, generally building them off a stock base file.

Following the Stage 1/2 threads in the Tuning section is your best bet to get to know the basics and, of course, the infamous wiki explains the various aspects succinctly;

https://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning

I think the main thing you may struggle with are locating the codewords for switching things off, but there are quite a lot of def files knocking about on the forum which should show you or make things easier - a good definition file is what you want!

Another quick and cheap(ish) upgrade is to slap on the k04 stuff, turbo set up, maf and injectors, then you can flash on a stock 225 map and code out the bits you aren't using or are different on your engine, alternatively just follow the threads and tune whatever set up you put on.

One last thing - you need to be able to checksum your file after changes, this can in-built in editors like winols, they can be found in the more modern flashing tools like MPPS v18/21, a standalone cs one like ecuedit or manual changes, although automatic is far quicker if you're making multiple changes!
SUPREME

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 08:00:40 AM »

Not professionally tuned. I sent my ECU off to be tuned, but the tune as great as it is doesn't give all that it could give so I plan to use it as a baseline and tweak as necessary.

As for the turbo my plan is to go somewhere in the range of GT2871R or a GT3071R, dependent upon money and if I want to continue to daily it.

I have also created my own bench harness, and have already read the file. The odd thing I noticed after reading the file I performed checksum and it had 1 wrong check sum, after reading off the ECU. I haven't looked much into the code yet compared to my stock file, but I plan to dig into that this weekend and start trying to unravel what is what.

I plan on reading a ton and trying to participate where possible here and there.

KasperH

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 08:15:54 AM »

Have you opened the ECU?
Might be a daughter board with a "encryption" chip on it, preventing the chip being overwritten and creates a small error when read Smiley
SUPREME

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 08:44:27 AM »

I have not opened the ECU... I will try and see if there is anything fishy.

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 01:56:54 PM »

I plan to use it as a baseline and tweak as necessary

Never a good idea. Start from scratch so you understand why every change was made.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
SUPREME

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 10:19:43 AM »

Never a good idea. Start from scratch so you understand why every change was made.

That's the plan, I am comparing the base map to mine to see what was changed. I haven't had much time to look yet. I just picked up a 24v VR6 GLI for $200 to try to make a daily while I upgrade the 1.8T.

316LV

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 08:23:27 PM »

Buy a FleaBay ECU to mess around with and leave yours as it is for a back up. Safe way to play.

Go ahead and give me negative karma... I don't care if you like what I post princess.
SUPREME

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 10:48:58 PM »

Buy a FleaBay ECU to mess around with and leave yours as it is for a back up. Safe way to play.

I have a few ECUs laying around, most are for non ME7, a few for diesel and 24v VR6, but the 1.8T ECUs I have are for automatic, so I may just flash the AWP MT file onto it to get a start with altering values. Just got all the software setup and figured out. I will try to do a couple of logs with my current tune to see what it looks like currently.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: