Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I've got my .bin downloaded, how to find definition files on the site?  (Read 3044 times)
supernoob

I'm a supernoob and don't mind sounding like one.
Not after someone to do stuff for me but just a kick in the ass in the right direction.

I've got my .bin file downloaded from my ecu.

Here's what I know so far...

2000 beetle GLX 1.8t 5 spd
Nefmoto says
KWP1281 connect info: 06A906032C  1.8l 5VT NB HS  G   3077

I've used the search box for 06A906032C.bin which seemed to be the way that other files are named.

I'm hoping that there will be a definition file out there for this, otherwise I guess I can start comparing using the stage1 -1.8t community project stock file and def file and look for strings of hex that are similar? I've read that entire thread but even the start is a little ahead of where I am right now.

Thanks!
Bryan
RBPE

Did you go to the definition files area and look around, flicking through each page and thread? Not sure what restrictions mods put on newbs for some of the things uploaded, maybe you might need to make more posts? Either way there are likely plenty of files in there to make a good def file. If not the same ecu code then you need to look into similar ones which should share all or many of the same maps - there can be variances on age/revisions/parts used/model of vehicle etc but lot's can be the same if you look for models/engines similar to yours in age/spec.

Then you need to read up on the documentation, FS/FR are function sheets/funktiosrahmen that teach you about the ecu set ups and maps.

Then the S4 wiki has it all pretty much laid out for you once you sort a good def file out as well as the tuning threads like you mentioned;

https://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning

supernoob

Thanks for the reply RBPE!

"Did you go to the definition files area and look around, flicking through each page and thread? Not sure what restrictions mods put on newbs for some of the things uploaded, maybe you might need to make more posts? Either way there are likely plenty of files in there to make a good def file. If not the same ecu code then you need to look into similar ones which should share all or many of the same maps - there can be variances on age/revisions/parts used/model of vehicle etc but lot's can be the same if you look for models/engines similar to yours in age/spec."--- I haven't looked through each page yet. Was trying to avoid that by using the search function. Surely the admins allow noobs that one?

Since I'm brand new I wasn't sure how similar things needed to be from one vehicle to another to use someone else's file.
I'll look for the FS/FR to read I suppose. I'm trying to take things in cautious steps and it may seem basic but wasn't even sure if I should have the .def before trying to open the .bin? That part is sort of glossed over in that "stage1 tune" thread.

I guess I'll just copy my original .bin, open it up and start poking around until things begin to make sense.

B
jimmcgee5

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=9184.0 , have a look at this.
supernoob

Thanks a bunch jimmcgee5!

I think that will be helpful for a start! Just in case anyone thought I was too lazy to try the search function...

https://www.screencast.com/t/6KpAQIQZnNt

Maybe it's broken?

I'll go from there though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: