Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I have unitronics, options from here?  (Read 4049 times)
misanthrope01

« on: July 18, 2017, 08:02:10 PM »

hello all! This is a wonderful site, and I have learned so much about the functions of the ecu. I am very interested in tuning my car myself(2004 audi a4 1.8t 6sp quattro) lots of mods done to it and Im wanting to go Big turbo soon, but dont want to pay the high price tag of off the shelf tunes. Been reading lots about ecu tuning and I really want to figure it out for myself.

I have successfully connected to the ecu but I am blocked from reading or writing files to/from it because of the aftermarket software. (stage 1+ unitronics) so.. I know this is a dumb question and post... but am I going to have buy another ecu and tune that? is the ecu forever matched to my cluster and key? is there anyway around it? Do I have to make a bench flash setup to immo defeat a new ecu or can i do that through the cars obd port? can I get an immo defeated ecu?

thank you in advanced oh wise ones
KasperH

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 03:38:53 AM »

Bootmode on a bench harness will let you read and write your ECU.
Then you just need a stock file to modify to your liking Smiley

No need to immo off.
But you could buy a spare ecu to make your own tune on,
And keep your old one as a working backup.

You can always match your ECU to your cluster, and vise versa.
But AFAIK key transponders can only be written once.

A good starting point would be to post your ECU HW# and SW# Smiley
_nameless

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 07:21:30 AM »

Bootmode on a bench harness will let you read and write your ECU.
Then you just need a stock file to modify to your liking Smiley

No need to immo off.
But you could buy a spare ecu to make your own tune on,
And keep your old one as a working backup.

You can always match your ECU to your cluster, and vise versa.
But AFAIK key transponders can only be written once.

A good starting point would be to post your ECU HW# and SW# Smiley

this is not a easy task for a noob. Big turbo tunes are not the first thing you wanna attempt when just starting. Unfortunately audis are not easy to tune like a subaru and i think people hear the term open "source" and they think "oh this cant be too hard" when in reality they have no basic understand of efi, or how feedback loops work, very little computer experience (if its not straightforward they get stuck), no idea on how to take logs etc etc. i dont know you so i could be way off but thats normally how the trend goes. Anyway welcome and good luck

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
KasperH

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 11:54:02 AM »

this is not a easy task for a noob. Big turbo tunes are not the first thing you wanna attempt when just starting. Unfortunately audis are not easy to tune like a subaru and i think people hear the term open "source" and they think "oh this cant be too hard" when in reality they have no basic understand of efi, or how feedback loops work, very little computer experience (if its not straightforward they get stuck), no idea on how to take logs etc etc. i dont know you so i could be way off but thats normally how the trend goes. Anyway welcome and good luck

Yes, big turbo is by any means no small task for someone with little to no understanding on tuning cars.
But at least he can pull his current tune out of his ECU and start on his own.
And then realize what a task he has undertaken.
And maybe find motivation Smiley

misanthrope01

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 05:12:12 PM »

I know how to take logs and have some computer knowledge. I know it is not an easy undertaking but I would enjoy figuring out, starting out with the current turbo and if I can understand that comfortably enough. I will go with the big turbo install and tune, I have most the hardware already, and its really not that big a turbo. garrett t3 50 trim .63 ar.

i will go pull my ecu HW# and SW# later tonight or tomorrow, was a long day at work.

mister t

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 10:57:40 PM »

I am blocked from reading or writing files to/from it because of the aftermarket software. (stage 1+ unitronics) so.. I know this is a dumb question and post... but am I going to have buy another ecu and tune that? is the ecu forever matched to my cluster and key? is there anyway around it? Do I have to make a bench flash setup to immo defeat a new ecu or can i do that through the cars obd port? can I get an immo defeated ecu?

thank you in advanced oh wise ones

Here's what you do, boot mode it, erase the shitty Unitronics file and do it right yourself.

That's what I did...  Roll Eyes
SB_GLI

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 06:09:38 AM »

Here's what you do, boot mode it, erase the shitty [INSERT COMMERCIAL TUNER NAME HERE] file and do it right yourself.

Made that a little more generic for yah.  Smiley
vwaudiguy

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 08:39:13 AM »

i will go pull my ecu HW# and SW# later tonight or tomorrow, was a long day at work.

One hell of a long day!

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: