Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Multiple Tunes; 1 ECU (Cruise Control Switchover)?  (Read 23995 times)
Bettonracing

« on: May 13, 2010, 06:50:20 AM »

Have any of the DIY tuners figured out how to load multiple tunes into any of the 2.7T ECU's?

Looking at the possibility of E85 w/ a 91 backup.

Regards,

H. Kurt Betton
jtorres

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 02:48:09 PM »

Thats Flexfuel thinking!!!
EuroXs4

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 12:56:57 PM »

I believe another board and 29f800 or 2 are on that board stacked on top one another. and theres a few soldering points. I could be wrong but i recall seeing something like this on ebay a month ago or so.
EuroXs4

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 01:05:01 PM »

Not sure if this is what they use.Its possible its all in the software i came across this on ebay havent tried it myself or know anything about it at this point.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ECU-TWO-SETTING-FILES-SWITCHER-CHIP-TUNING-/120568906809?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c12778439#ht_500wt_1182
Bettonracing

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 08:32:30 AM »

I'd be interested in the either the chip switching (cabin-mounted switch) or the software version (cruise control stalk). APR uses their software to flash their multiple tunes onto stock ECU's, and I think another of the tuner's software allows this as well (EPL? Unitronic?).

It seems that some ECU's may be limited by chip memory capacity. I [currently] have a T-box and was told by ACH Tuning ~ 2 years ago thatthat my ECU can't hold more than 1 of the APR tunes. I'm not sure how much memory their encryption coding takes up (if any).

If You know anybody that's tried the dual maps, or is willing to try let me know.

Thanks,

H. Kurt Betton
vwraceguy

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 06:45:31 PM »

APR uses compression to store maps when not in use, so writing that code would be pretty tricky.  The process of switching using the cruise button causes it to uncompress a new map to the active part of memory, which is why it can't be switched on the fly.

RaraK

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 01:47:42 PM »

I believe there would be enough memory to add a timing map and fueling adjustment to allow for e85 on the s4, however someone would need to figure out how to allow the custom code.

that switch from above on ebay looks interesting, id like to look into that a little bit more! have a e85(alcohol) sensor like flex fuel vehicles use, and when the sensor reads you are using e85, automatically switch to e85 maps Smiley  flexfuel s4 here we go.
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 01:17:18 PM »

The easy old school way is to make a chip socket that holds two memory chips. Then you wire up a switch that allows you select which memory chip to use. This is fairly simple with some very basic electronics.

The GIAC, APR way of doing it is to change the ECU to code to select between multiple maps. They will just add this code to the lookup functions on a few different maps. The code checks a variable in the ECU RAM to determine which map it should use.

There is no "standard generic" way of doing it in software though. The map switching code has to be patched into each ECU file, because they all have different memory offsets, etc.

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
Bettonracing

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 06:25:02 PM »

Thanks for the responses guys.

if anyone is willing to try this, I'll buy them the chip. I just don't have the time to tinker w/ this if something doesn't go as planned. <- username@gmail

Relevant background required (i.e. some semblance of ME7.1 tuning experience). Geographic location irrelevant but if You were located within ~2hrs drive of Seattle (say for e.g. Vancouver B.C.) then i could offer some assistance (or beverage of choice) to help...  Wink

Regards,

H. Kurt Betton
Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 08:43:56 PM »

This may be a silly suggestion, but there are a lot of windows-mobile enabled devices on ebay that could potentially function as a map-switcher (read: flasher) if Tony put together a mobile package in the future.  Then you could roll up, fill up, flash, and drive away.
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 10:45:04 AM »

This may be a silly suggestion, but there are a lot of windows-mobile enabled devices on ebay that could potentially function as a map-switcher (read: flasher) if Tony put together a mobile package in the future.  Then you could roll up, fill up, flash, and drive away.

Already working on this.  Wink

Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Bettonracing

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 07:35:45 PM »

^ I like the sounds of this. Looking forward to future developments!

Regards,

H. Kurt Betton
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 02:18:11 PM »

I have purchased the parts to prototype a hand held device with a small LCD screen. The hope is to make something to allow flashing, reading and clearing error codes, and datalogging. I am trying to do all of it for less than $100 in parts.

hihptsi

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 10:29:19 AM »

for the DSMS i designed something called the changeup which uses a single Eprom with 2 seperate tunes loaded, the add on board pulls down a pin on this eprom and it switches to the lower portion of the eprom with the seperate tune. it is not recommended to do this on the fly because you have no clue where in the bus cycle the ecu is at and could cause a lockup. I could easily design a add on board for these audis for you guys if there is enough interest. But it sounds like tonys solution might be less evasive on the ECU, because it would not require a rework of the board.

Also im not sure if its cool to post this here but if anyone needs any rework of their ecu board i am able to do this. I rebuild and refurbish DSM and honda ecu's everyday for people.
iznogoud

Learning junkie

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 10:38:23 AM »

My vote goes to software switching with additional functions in empty memory of the flash. Not the easiest, but the most versatile and a path to many more similar functions. Then, using a portable switcher like Tony wants to make for $100 or less is just icing on top of an already tasty cake!

(Tracking thread.)

Audi S4 B5 2000 6sp Cactus Green
Audi A4 B6 Avant 1.8T 2001.5 5sp Santorin Blue
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: