Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GIAC/AWE Stage 3 B5 S4 File - WTF? This has to be very old...  (Read 5489 times)
pablo53

« on: October 17, 2017, 01:12:15 PM »

A buddy of mine asked me to set up Stage 3 S4 for e85.  So I took a look and pulled the ECU File: GIAC tuned AWE stage 3.  I figured the only issue would possibly be security, but I was completely wrong. 

No issues pulling the tune to my laptop.  I looked at the MAF housing (tapered to fit stock airbox opening up to 95mm-ish), and the tune itself, I was shocked.

I don't know how old the kit is, but the setup looks brand new. It has green top injectors; I assume they are only 440cc.  It also appears to have stock KKRTE and stock-ish MLHFM.  I'm guessing either it's down scaled (a lot) or there is a conversion factor built in somewhere else to mess with anyone looking at it.  LDRXN looks stock-ish as well.  Along with this are the lack of any of the current fueling strategies, more funkiness on WOT voltage, and absolutely nothing coded out (rear 02s, 02 codes, etc, etc).

My initial thoughts are to tell him I cannot tune without a linear maf housing (85mm or 90mm) and bigger injectors (630cc EV14's)...and a Walbro F290000267.
After reading previous posts on this topic, it seems my initial assessment is correct.

I have a couple hours before I get back to him though, so I thought I'd check in and see if anyone has any new info on this odd setup... especially with MAF scaling for true mass air flow.

Thoughts?   Thanks!
pablo53

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 03:34:24 PM »

Or is there a bunch of modifiers built into the free space in the file?   Looking at it with a Hex editor, there is a lot of changes to what would normally be FF bytes.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 04:13:04 PM »

GIAC (and others) hide real changes elsewhere. Don't bother trying to learn anything from that file, it would be a gigantic waste of time.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
pablo53

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 05:06:59 PM »

Thanks for your reply.   I dinked around for an hour or so.   Created a big map in tunerpro then found the 2 primary locations where GIAC code is written over unused parts of the file.

Nothing other than perhaps there's a key in the first section, and changes jumbled together in the other...but even that is just a guess at what they did.

Figured I'd check before having him spend a bunch of money.   That all being said, hey if anyone wants an AWE Tuning stage 3 fueling kit and wants to spend the time to scale a tapered MAF housing, I know of one that will be for sale in the next week or two!
pablo53

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 02:36:56 PM »

I'm going to go ahead and calibrate the MAF on this car.   I've done it before on ASP and EPL tapered MAF housings, and it's all straight forward.   Ensure fueling is correct prior to MAF tuning, and work it all out via logging/correcting AFR.   Usually only takes maybe 5 interations.

I'll post this up, so nobody running these MAF housings has to ditch them to write tunes with correct real world numbers.
pablo53

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 02:42:21 PM »

FYI, I've already got the lower half dialed in, but this car is having some boost/wastegate issues, so that has to be fixed before I can put the upper half together.

I also wanted to add...  Just for shits and giggles, I tested a tune which used the stock MLHFM and KRKTE numbers (as the GIAC tune uses), and lo and behold, though highly underscaled for load, AFR was pretty dang close.   Almost like they worked backwards to develop MAF and injector characteristics so there would be minimal changes from stock calibrations.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 02:55:39 PM »

Almost like they worked backwards to develop MAF and injector characteristics so there would be minimal changes from stock calibrations.

GIAC (in those days) understood about .000001% of what is public information about ME7.1 today. Their stepped MAF was one of many iterations of MAFs where they tried to get fueling right. They just made it larger and larger until load was scaled so low they didn't have to worry about all the various load limiters.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 02:58:11 PM by nyet » Logged

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
pablo53

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 06:22:24 PM »

For sure.   It shows all across their Stage 3 file.   To begin with, they don't take advantage of any of the current fueling strategies.   I'm not messing with their file at all, just figured that since their MAF housings seem to have been deemed worthless these days, perhaps I can help make that part useable again for DIY tuners.

Just a way to give back to the forum that's helped me so much over the years.
pablo53

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 10:40:39 PM »

Functioning MLHFM for those funky Stage III AWE tapered MAF housings for stock S4 airboxes.   

A little low at the bottom and a little high at the top - Pretty dang close on part throttle.  I just fixed via KFKHFM.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: