Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 99 Facelift S4 B5 C-box to M-Box?  (Read 5373 times)
Jugoo

« on: November 14, 2017, 02:40:15 AM »

Hello!
I got facelift s4 b5 with ABT tuned 551C box. Probably the abt chip is soldered (?). Id like to have launch control and flatshift and would like to play with sofwares. I have heard that the C-box wont read or flash via obd port easily. And wont support multifuel and multimap. The reason for changing to newer box (512->1024 m-box) is that I could flash throught obd port.

Question is:

Is the swap really worth it? And is the m-box suggested? If not, what is then?

How hard is it to swap c-box to m-box? Probably immo disable and rear o2 disable? How hard it is for newbie? I have done some coding before, but not for cars.

Thanks!

prj

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 03:03:50 AM »

I have heard that the C-box wont read or flash via obd port easily.
Flashes just fine. Use MPPS with "FAST" speed option.
For logging use the highest baud rate - 125 000 baud, and it will log properly too.
And wont support multifuel and multimap.
Wrong, it doesn't matter, the flash size is different that's all, you can code all that up if needed.

You can swap to a 29F800 ECU. Some things to take care of:
* Airbag crash signal input for emergency fuel shutoff
* IMMO2 vs IMMO3
* ESKONF for a few differences

If your car is stock, just open ECU, check what is inside, if there is scrambler socket, remove it and solder a 29F400BB in.
If you want to read out what is on your car now, before you desolder the scrambler read the ECU over OBD.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Jugoo

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 03:41:32 AM »

Thanks for quick reply prj! Can you brick ECU just by reading it via OBD, in any case? Should I buy second ECU in case it bricks? And maybe Galletto too?

What are the benefits on 1024 ecu over 512 ecu? Why people do swaps if you can code all things with every ECU's?
So is there any benefits on m-box over c-box?

Dont blame me for my questions Cheesy
prj

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 04:32:57 AM »

Buy MPPS clone. And while it is possible to make the ECU brick over OBD when it is read, if someone made a clever tuning protection, this will 100% not be the case with your ECU.
The only benefit is that you can probably get a better xdf/map pack vs having to make your own.
I can post up my 551c xdf though, it's enough to tune the car even with K04 turbos...

I don't see any point in swapping the ECU if your car is more or less standard, because it's just unneccessary trouble. If you decide to bolt RS6 turbos to it or install WMI with K04's, you will need a 5120 modded file, and then probably better to swap to something that is readily available, but until then it's just useless extra work and you will lose your immobilizer.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 04:35:37 AM by prj » Logged

Log your car properly.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 01:36:44 PM »

I can't bring to mind prj using Tunerpro. Smiley

Also, if you're ever willing to share how to brick an ecu when an OBD read attempt is made, I'm all ears!

Sorry to hijack!

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
prj

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 03:20:34 PM »

I use tunerpro for some old stuff. All new things are done in OLS.

Log your car properly.
Jugoo

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 11:45:47 AM »

Buy MPPS clone. And while it is possible to make the ECU brick over OBD when it is read, if someone made a clever tuning protection, this will 100% not be the case with your ECU.
The only benefit is that you can probably get a better xdf/map pack vs having to make your own.
I can post up my 551c xdf though, it's enough to tune the car even with K04 turbos...

I don't see any point in swapping the ECU if your car is more or less standard, because it's just unneccessary trouble. If you decide to bolt RS6 turbos to it or install WMI with K04's, you will need a 5120 modded file, and then probably better to swap to something that is readily available, but until then it's just useless extra work and you will lose your immobilizer.

Thanks PRJ and guys. Maybe ill stay on 551C then. Are there any "Good" MPPS clones on sale on ebay?
Jugoo

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 12:25:43 PM »

Hey,

I bought a bricked M-box to start learning that way. I recovered it and got the S4 running. Got ABS light and bunch of DTCs:

18058 - Powertrain Data Bus
            P1650 - 35-00 - Missing Message from Instrument Cluster
17881 - EVAP Leak Detection Pump
            P1473 - 35-00 - Open Circuit
18020 - Engine Control Module Incorrectly Coded
            P1612 - 35-00 -
17931 - Crash Signal from Airbag Controller
            P1523 - 35-00 - Implausible Signal
18014 - Rough Road/Engine Torque Signal from ABS
            P1606 - 35-00 - Electrical Malfunction
16487 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)
            P0103 - 35-00 - Signal too High

What do I need to code to get it work right without DTC:s and ABS light?

At least:
- Hitachi to Bosch
- Rear O2 off?
- Airbag crash signal - How?

What else? Thanks
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 12:34:44 PM »

- coding (ABS, trans)
- RXCAN disable for instrument cluster

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: