Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone else have a problem connecting with a battery charger hooked up?  (Read 7365 times)
dtrain88

The other day when I was getting ready to flash my ECU for the first time, I could not get Nefmoto to connect to my ecu in slow or fast init. I tried changing from max. Baud rate to 10400 and it still would not connect. So then thinking it maybe a software/cable/computer issue I tried to connect VCDS and it wouldn't connect either, I even tried a second laptop that I had used the previous day to clear codes so I knew VCDS should work and it still didn't connect.

I eventually got VCDS to connect right after someone accidently unplugged the charger, I then tried Nefmoto again and it connected. When I got ready to read my ECU I reconnected the charger and Nefmoto lost its connection and VCDS wouldn't connect.

After messing around a little more, I discovered that Nefmoto nor VCDS will connect to my ECU with a battery charger connected.

Has anyone else had this issue or similar??
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 11:03:20 AM »

Is it possible that the battery charger is faulty an introducing some interference?

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
dtrain88

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »

Is it possible that the battery charger is faulty an introducing some interference?

I guess it's possible that it's introducing some interference, But I'm almost positive it's not faulty (I use it all the time with no problems and just used it to charge another battery). It is one of the "smart" chargers that is supposed to turn it self off when the battery is fully charged so it doesn't blow up, maybe that has something to do with it? If I can find one and I have time I may try hooking up a different battery charger and seeing if I can connect.
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 03:43:49 PM »

Some smart chargers use a high frequency AC component to reverse Sulphating. Especially those that fall back to a conditioning mode when charged.
dtrain88

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 07:23:39 PM »

Some smart chargers use a high frequency AC component to reverse Sulphating. Especially those that fall back to a conditioning mode when charged.

Now that you mention it, I think my charger is suppose to "automatically switch" to a conditioning mode once the battery is fully charged. So that is probably what caused the problem.

Thanks for your help
Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 10:50:28 AM »

I have one charger that pulses power on/off at about 1hz in float mode, and the voltage jumps a few volts and then drops.  Something to check for anyway.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: