Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Never touched a ecu before but eager to learn! | Golf r mk6 DSG my13 (EA113) |  (Read 3374 times)
Tasijoe

Hi there all, I have never had any experience with tuning but I really want to learn as this is something I am interested. I have a golf r mk6 DSG my13 EA113, which to my knowledge has the Med9.1 Bosch ECU.
Like I said I have never had the opportunity to learn about this topic and any help is greatly appreciated!!

My aim in terms of learning is to be able to understand enough with what I am doing to get my golf an overrun feature and get it to a stage 1 tune and then as I learn more stage 2 ect, since I was going to have this done by tuner but deep down I would like to understand it myself and be able to do it rather than paying and not developing my knowledge.

I'm not sure how well people on the forum know about the Med9.1 but at this point, it would be great help for someone to recommend what software I will need and tool to write and read to the ECU without bricking it or killing it.

so yeah, I'm completely new and this is where I guessed it was the best place to start (Everyones got to start somewhere I guess). Thanks in advance for anyone who reads this or tries to help me.
Best regards, Joe.

prj

This car not only needs the ECU tuned, but also the DSG TCU.

WinOLS can be used to modify the maps in the ECU - ~1200 EUR + VAT for license (and you must be a business).
Map packs for this old stuff can be found for free online.
A tool is need to r/w the gearbox and the ECU. I think the only ones that do both are Byteshooter, CMDFlash, New Genius, Kess - ~3000-5000 EUR + VAT for master.

You can try of course to buy lots of china clones, cracked software and so on.
If you know nothing about this, then probably easier to simply pay someone to tune it...

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Tasijoe

This car not only needs the ECU tuned, but also the DSG TCU.

WinOLS can be used to modify the maps in the ECU - ~1200 EUR + VAT for license (and you must be a business).
Map packs for this old stuff can be found for free online.
A tool is need to r/w the gearbox and the ECU. I think the only ones that do both are Byteshooter, CMDFlash, New Genius, Kess - ~3000-5000 EUR + VAT for master.

You can try of course to buy lots of china clones, cracked software and so on.
If you know nothing about this, then probably easier to simply pay someone to tune it...

Definitely a bit of an investment but at least this is a helpful start, I've been struggling with just finding software along so thanks so much for the help!
jezTT

It's definitely easier to pay for someone to do it, but if you're prepared for a fairly vertical learning curve, these few threads are a good place to start -

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=5525.0title=
http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=5418.0title=
http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=5941.0title=

I recommend cloning your ECU and leaving the original stock as insurance - it makes the whole flashing exercise fairly stress free if you can just swap a stock ecu back in if you brick one. You'll need a BDM100 reader and frame to do a full read and flash of your ECU and the clone.

I'm probably on the overly cautious side but it's taken me about 6 months, including setbacks and dead ends (mostly around the Immobilizer in my case), to get to a point where I'm comfortable with my level of knowledge, have a cloned ecu in the car and modifying maps.

With the DSG, as far as my car goes (I can't speak for yours) I can go so far without having to make any changes to it, which I am very reluctant to touch with a china clone - I can buy another ECU for $100, but no such luxury with a mechatronic, so I'll probably leave that to the pro's.
prj

DSG has 380nm torque limit.
Mk6 R gets enough torque remapped where lying to it won't be feasible anymore and it'll slip.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Tasijoe

Thanks for all the great support Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: