Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bind ECU to Vin  (Read 6030 times)
Khendal

« on: April 24, 2018, 02:44:59 AM »

Hello, is there a way or...anyone of you have bound the ECU flashed to the Vin of the car? To work only in that car?

prj

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 03:06:18 AM »

Of course there is.
But if you need to ask then probably you won't be able to do it, because it requires very good understanding of EEPROM access in the file and then coding up a kill switch.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
nubcake

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 03:57:35 AM »

Also it can be patched out with relative ease once the ECU is read in bootmode.
It's practically impossible to secure your info, when the attacker has full access to the system.

Also, why ask pretty much the same question twice?
http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=12406.0title=
prj

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 04:24:20 AM »

Yes, there is only a point to add it if you are protecting code.
Because if you are protecting code, then you can put it somewhere in your new routine, so that they actually have to understand asm to remove the check, and then they won't need your code in the first place.

But if you just make a lock to VIN without any other additional code, all they have to do is revert everything outside the cal area to stock. Easily done with WinOLS.

Log your car properly.
gman86

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 06:19:48 AM »

It also doesn't take a genius to change the VIN in an EEPROM which circumvents all the fun anyway, regardless of how complex the ASM is.
_nameless

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 06:23:59 AM »

It also doesn't take a genius to change the VIN in an EEPROM which circumvents all the fun anyway, regardless of how complex the ASM is.
and fwiw it would only be work with immo3

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
Khendal

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 06:52:50 AM »

Guys the problem is not to protect the ecu from read etc... we are talking about some stage1 or stage2 ... what i want to prevent is that a guy that flash ecu for me at distance, could flash only that flash in that ecu or car with that vin...and not to other 2/3 similar cars...alone... Smiley

Only for that... then if this method could insurance a little more protection...and it need a guy a little smart to find a workaround... patience.

jcsbanks

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 08:14:37 AM »

Traditional solution to this was master/slave tuner/dealer relationship?

If the tools do not make it difficult enough, you're going to have to write code to do it, and it will have to leave the engine non starting or limited in some way if the cal is used without the matching code, or the correct cal is used with the correct code but on the wrong engine.
prj

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 12:43:00 PM »

Yeah master/slave is how it works in the tuning world.

As for changing EEPROM VIN - try that on anything WORTH protecting and see how you get on (ME7 is not it) - if the OBD tester reads an incorrect VIN during inspection (in the countries that have it), that's also gonna be an interesting one.
And anyway on newer stuff you don't lock to VIN you lock to CPUID.

Log your car properly.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 10:46:48 AM »

for something as old as ME7, if you can't figure out your own form of copy protection, it is doubtful anything are doing is worth protecting.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: