Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: ME7 part-throttle torque interventions  (Read 16195 times)
kaleb

« on: June 04, 2018, 05:46:56 PM »

ME7 M-Box (5120 hack and 4bar MAP) with Tial 770R's. The wastegates crack at about 22psi, so the ability to control the boost in low-throttle, high RPM situations is limited and is resulting in 17963 Charge pressure: Maximum limit exceeded. Closing the throttle plate and retarding ignition are limited mitigations, i.e I have seen 20PSI+ with ~25% throttle.

My approach so far has been to increase KFMIRL (and generate the KFMIOP inverse), in areas where I essentially cannot control boost, to something that (kind of) follows the boost profile. The result is that mimax_w has been raised to something that looks reasonable. Unfortunately, mifa_w has not come along with it which eventually results in my requested load/boost being to low. One of the torque monitor interventions in MDFAW must be limiting mifa_w.

mimax_w is KFMIOP from rlmax_w (LDRLMX - LDRXN corrected)

mivbeg_w is mrfa_w(mimax_w - mimin_w) + mimin_w + dmllri_w limited by MDIMX

mivbeb_w is min(mivbeg_w, mimax_w)

mivbeb_w then goes through a slew of potential interventions and finally gives mifa_w.

mifa_w then goes through MDKOL and is subject again to numerous interventions finally giving milsol_w for KFMIRL.

Following from wped_w, mrfa_w is requesting enough torque. I don't have the memory address of mivbeg_w, but I don't think mivbeg_w is the problem unless there is something very strange happening with mrfa_w(mimax_w - mimin_w) as MDIMX = 99. mivbeb_w is not the problem assuming mivbeg_w is reasonable since mimax_w is not the limiting factor.

DMFABEG has a number of potential interventions.

SAWE: Change limitation during overrun fuel cutoff and reinsertion
DASHPOT: Change limitation with negative load changes (Dashpot)
MISMEUS: Change limitation with fast torque intervention for operating mode changeover
LSD: Change limitation during positive load changes (load impact evaporation)
MDBG: Momentary gradient limitation

Only MISMEUS, LSD and MDBG seem like candidates.

MISMEUS: Not clear to me what is happening here (and very little information). I do not have the memory address for B_mismeus. Can anyone elaborate?
LSD: I can log B_lsd and it is 0 so not a factor.
MDBG: KFMIFABG looks interesting, but it looks like SY_CVT = 0, so it isn't used (?). I do not have the memory address for B_mifabg. Can anyone elaborate?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

prj

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 12:27:16 AM »

None of what you posted is relevant to your problem.
Literally none of it.

If you are running retarded actuators, then do a run with 0 DC at WOT and configure the cracking pressure in the ECU correctly, so it knows when to limit with the throttle and when not to.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Poody

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 12:45:04 AM »

KFVPDKSD/KFVPDKSE for setting base spring pressure. Setting these properly will allow the ecu to control boost with the throttle for values under the wastegate spring pressure
kaleb

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 06:28:07 AM »

None of what you posted is relevant to your problem.
Literally none of it.

If you are running retarded actuators, then do a run with 0 DC at WOT and configure the cracking pressure in the ECU correctly, so it knows when to limit with the throttle and when not to.

I have done this. As I mentioned, limiting the throttle does not appear to be enough. Even with the throttle limited at 20%, I have seen over 20psi at or above 5,000RPM. Attempts to close the throttle down even more have had limited success, other undesirable side effects and even then I am not requesting enough load and getting significant boost deviations.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 08:58:09 AM »

If 20% throttle is not enough to prevent overboosting, I'd reconsider the wg setup :/

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
prj

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 09:23:03 AM »

How about a csv instead of png bullshit, so I can actually look at relevant stuff.

Either:
a) Your throttle maps are not configured correctly and rl is much lower than rlsol
b) Your dump valves have WAY too stiff springs, because the differential in pressure should push them open.

Or the combination of the above.

Log your car properly.
kaleb

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 03:39:36 PM »

If 20% throttle is not enough to prevent overboosting, I'd reconsider the wg setup :/

The turbos are set up the way Johnny recommends. This is the reality of a 20PSI WG crack pressure and my intention from the beginning of the build was to be able to make around 40PSI. I knew what I was getting into and I was aware that tuning part throttle at high RPM might be interesting, but I was expecting to be able to do more with limiting the throttle. Maybe I can do a better job of closing down the throttle, but tuning for an arbitrary torque request limit is silly.  I am really more interested in what the mystery torque intervention is.

How about a csv instead of png bullshit, so I can actually look at relevant stuff.

Either:
a) Your throttle maps are not configured correctly and rl is much lower than rlsol
b) Your dump valves have WAY too stiff springs, because the differential in pressure should push them open.

Or the combination of the above.

a) rl is not much lower than rlsol.
b) See above. The configuration is no different than most Tial setups, i.e. the WG's won't start to crack until 20psi.

The forum is refusing to upload the CSV. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZHahZk2lD7ozHtq-y7CuqP_Lxx5cpHnu/view?usp=sharing

I appreciate you looking at them, let me know if you suspect I have done something ridiculous.
prj

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 03:43:55 PM »

Now re-read my b), and actually pay attention.
I was not talking about wastegates.

If you fix that problem (did you delete N249?), you will also fix the problem with your insane boost level without touching any of your actuators.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 03:46:18 PM by prj » Logged

Log your car properly.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 03:46:33 PM »

Now re-read my b), and actually pay attention.

I was not talking about wastegates.

You are talking about the 710s?

As an aside, is there a way to feed the single wg n75 signal to an external wg and external dual wg solenoid?

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
prj

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 03:49:16 PM »

I am talking about whatever he is using for recirc.
With that boost difference they should be open. Whether via mechanical means or through N249.

His pressure drop across throttle plate is 1 bar.

Log your car properly.
kaleb

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 04:13:55 PM »

I am talking about whatever he is using for recirc.
With that boost difference they should be open. Whether via mechanical means or through N249.

His pressure drop across throttle plate is 1 bar.

N249 has not been deleted. I have new Forge DV's that replaced old Forge DV's during the build. I just looked and they appear to have the 15-23PSI spring instead of the 5-15PSI springs. You are likely onto something here (can't thank you enough for helping). I will replace them and report back.

Poody

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 12:25:20 AM »

15-23psi???

Do those things ever recirc? That would require an obscene amount of vacuum to overcome spring pressure
kaleb

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 06:29:21 AM »

The lighter spring has not helped. From the design of the Forge DV's, it is clear that a positive pressure differential in the charge path relative to the intake path will only push the valves closed. They will only open under vacuum (or if for some reason the intake path had a positive pressure differential relative to the charge path). I am not sure if 710's are also designed in this way, but from what I can tell from reading the documentation the N249 was not intended to be used as a boost limiter. Only as a turbo bypass under vacuum and re circulation coming off boost.

15-23psi???

Do those things ever recirc? That would require an obscene amount of vacuum to overcome spring pressure

They do. They are quite soft (it doesn't take much vacuum to get them to compress) and those numbers are presumably an (arbitrary) conversion to boost pressure. Although, based on my comments above, I don't see why you would need a stiffer spring in the first place.

Logs: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pcFiR09vHxvMN9J_I_kOhsEPIoFWS_7i

Haven't had a chance to look at them really closely, but on the last pull (the interesting one) I had TM 2 and it shut down the ECU. It was't immediately clear to me why.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 02:50:47 PM »

From the design of the Forge DV's, it is clear that a positive pressure differential in the charge path relative to the intake path will only push the valves closed.

I'm a little unclear on this as well. I thought that was the whole point of any properly functioning dv - do not leak any pressure unless actuated. My assumption was that the DV should not open unless there is vacuum (compared to atmospheric) on the actuator.

Installing them backwards may make them act more like a pressure release valve (too much pressure relative to atmospheric) but that isn't really what you want either.

I could be wrong, of course.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 02:53:15 PM by nyet » Logged

ECUx Plot

adam-

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 03:51:49 PM »

If you install them backwards they will be held closed with spring pressure as the force from the inlet is the same as the boost force (since the throttle plate isn't a restriction).

If it is, the boost will blow it open.  As far as my understanding goes.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: