Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could not open FTDI device. Failed to read test echo from FTDI device.  (Read 9528 times)
dclifford40

Noob issue I suppose
Trying to connect to a 8e0 909 518af that i had in the garage,,experimenting until I figure out what im doing with this.
Bench wired a battery with a trickle charger, power is ok
B+ connected to pins as described in the guides,3,21,62 and added + to pin121 as well
grounds to cable and pins 1&2 ecu
added - connection pins 4+5 on ross cable
Using Ross HEX-CAN cable, powered, and grounded on the proper pins,,works fine with ross software.
Tried connecting to my daily,,ross worked, This does not.
It does appear in the line on top right, and have set to dumb mode .
Maybe I need another cable?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 12:52:51 PM »

More info on cable.. what does it look like in device manager?

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
dclifford40

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 01:23:27 PM »

Tried updating driver, said it already was up to date.
Connects fine in the same port I always use for Ross
Does not have a flag in device manager
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 01:27:31 PM »

I can't tell what you are saying works and what does not

The one ecu works but another doesn't? One cable works but another doesn't? One program works but another doesn't?

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
dclifford40

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 04:46:30 PM »

I can't tell what you are saying works and what does not

The one ecu works but another doesn't? One cable works but another doesn't? One program works but another doesn't?

Ross Tech works fine in the car
Nef software will not connect,,get could not open ftdi device, also in car, and on bench,,ross connected on bench and in car
Tried all different baud rates, fast and slow init, and boot mode

both ecus connected to ross software, one on bench, one in car
Integrated_20

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 01:25:22 AM »

Device manager says its a ch340 or the likeness. I did read some threads on here stating that nefmoto does not support that chip which if this is the case I'm not going to be very happy that I purchased this off a reputable website in which I trusted would be selling a legit cable for my car. Which by the way is a 2000 usdm b5 s4 6mt. Or am I wrong? I just went at it again tonight for another hr or two trying to get this thing recognized and still to no avail? Not ony did I buy this off a legit performance website I also bought a $99 licence from ross-tech for the lite version. $175 bucks in and I'm still banging my head
dclifford40

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 06:38:15 AM »

Device manager says its a ch340 or the likeness. I did read some threads on here stating that nefmoto does not support that chip which if this is the case I'm not going to be very happy that I purchased this off a reputable website in which I trusted would be selling a legit cable for my car. Which by the way is a 2000 usdm b5 s4 6mt. Or am I wrong? I just went at it again tonight for another hr or two trying to get this thing recognized and still to no avail? Not ony did I buy this off a legit performance website I also bought a $99 licence from ross-tech for the lite version. $175 bucks in and I'm still banging my head
I looked through the details in device manager and did not see anything like ch340, suppose its the ross interface.
KKl blue cable is $13 on amazon,,which a lot of users have success with,,,ordering today.

thanks for your input
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 09:12:35 AM »

"legit" or not means nothing. you have to ask before you buy it which chip it has.

ECUx Plot

dclifford40

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 03:57:58 PM »

Im not so good at forums but I'm adding my resolution to my issue.
There is so much information here its hard to find exactly what you need,,its ok,,Ill find it.
My Ross cable was the problem,,hex-can,,possibly boot leg,,but worked fine with my registered ross.
I bought a KKL cable from ebay,,came with a cd/dvd with a lot of crap on it,,just extracted the drivers.
Didnt work on my bench rig,,,still working on that,,will go to a salvage yard and cut out a DLC and harness,,re do it,,and see the results another day
I connected it with success to my daily and extracted the base files from that ECU.
Im on my way

Just have to find all the info I need , I am persistent

Thanks for the guidance

The cable appears ;
FT232R USB UART
Same as I have seen in some of the guide pages.

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 12:31:40 PM »

That cable should definitely work with Nef.

Any luck getting ME7Logger working with it?

ECUx Plot

dclifford40

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 02:41:06 PM »

I have not tried it with the logger.
Intention is to study and learn the system functions, editing, remove IMMO on a 01 TT225 I just got (bad cluster)
So far have pulled the .bin on my daily, 03tq,,think I found a xdf thats close,,,I also found your xdf on the wiki which has a lot more info than what I found.
Still playing with changes, and getting the checksums correct, will be a while before I am ready to try flashing..
Bench rig still not working with a spare I have,,might be a brick,,will try in boot mode and see if I can connect to it.

Thanks,,great project you have here.
dclifford40

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 02:57:15 PM »

My next step will be writing my own xdf for my daily,,cant find everything I need by searching the pages here for my ecu. Steep learning curve.
Goals are for SAI and downstream 02, I have a 3 inch down pipe and sensor spacer,,fooling it for now,,that stuff is easy to find..cmd prompt check sum corrector is challenging, ill figure it out.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 03:03:17 PM »

make sure you install the oem FTDI drivers directly from ftdi, not the drivers that came with the cable.

ECUx Plot

dclifford40

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 11:31:13 AM »

I did install the drivers that came with it.
I went to the FTDI link and verified it was the most recent driver;
I replaced it with the driver from their pages, it works fine
working on my bench rig,,got it to read ecu info,,immo blocking the download
now I am working out cmd to delete the immo,,,its a spare ecu, if I brick it, oh well
I will figure it out, and will spend the time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: