Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A4 B6 1.8T budget build  (Read 8643 times)
cgramme

« on: January 30, 2019, 11:07:54 PM »

Hey guys, I've been working on this project off and on for the past few years and thought I'd share it. It's a 2003 A4 B6 1.8t AMB quattro tiptronic. The tiptronic isn't my preferred trans, but regardless I've spent a lot of time on this car and it has shown to hold up decently so far. Anyway, I thought this would be an excellent time to put together a budget larger turbo 1.8t and see how everything holds up (for scientific purposes). I'm utilizing a $130 generic T3/T4 .63 50 trim turbo, $65 cast iron manifold, $150 ev14 630cc injectors, custom fmic, and a custom exhaust. I've also deleted emission systems and relays such as catalytic converter, SAI, N249, N112, N80 and P299 while still passing emissions tests. Currently I'm running 17ish psi, but that will go up a bit after I finish building the exhaust. Tuning for the larger turbo is done by the LDRPID pre-control method as mentioned here at nefmoto and boost comes on at 4000-4250k rpm. So far the cheap journal bearing turbo hasn't gained any shaft play in the last year since I've had it with decent oil flow.

fknbrkn

mk4 1.8T AUM

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 02:45:43 AM »

no reason to use large turbo which kicks @4k with 17psi limit only

bolton k04 would be better that case
Blazius

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 11:08:33 AM »

Heh, only thing more budget than this is my project Cheesy same turbo size, stock mani with custom adapter, saab 400 cc inj, fmic from Mondeo mk3 , custom piping Smiley
cgramme

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 01:38:50 PM »

no reason to use large turbo which kicks @4k with 17psi limit only

bolton k04 would be better that case

Yeah, if I was only planning to run 17 psi this would be pretty pointless... After I finish welding up the exhaust I'll be pushing it a little harder. Honestly, this project has been mostly pointless in general. Problem is I don't have a good project car right now and I have a disease where I need to build / mess with stuff. I even made that front bumper lip from scratch.
cgramme

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 02:04:49 PM »

Heh, only thing more budget than this is my project Cheesy same turbo size, stock mani with custom adapter, saab 400 cc inj, fmic from Mondeo mk3 , custom piping Smiley

Hey dude, if it works it works. I haven't had any problems yet with my cheap equipment. Do research on the parts and sort out the junk from the legit knock offs.Tongue I can't justify spending more money on this car than the car is worth on a turbo upgrade. It's about having fun, not about how much $ your doodoo costs. I've done a lot of logging and always have my afr and other data displayed while driving, so far everything is on point.

Do you have an A4? How did you rig up your stock manifold to adapt the new turbo?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 02:09:24 PM by cgramme » Logged
Blazius

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 03:57:32 AM »

Hey dude, if it works it works. I haven't had any problems yet with my cheap equipment. Do research on the parts and sort out the junk from the legit knock offs.Tongue I can't justify spending more money on this car than the car is worth on a turbo upgrade. It's about having fun, not about how much $ your doodoo costs. I've done a lot of logging and always have my afr and other data displayed while driving, so far everything is on point.

Do you have an A4? How did you rig up your stock manifold to adapt the new turbo?

Well said, yeah I got an A4, I've had a thread on here when i was planning it and then later on I had a head failure , so it turned into a repair thread Smiley you can search for it thru my profile.
I am continuing the build thread on Audizine now. https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/838536-2000-A4-Avant-FWD-Manual-N-A-Build-amp-Turbo-Conversion

It basically looks like this :

Though since then its refined way more. I also hand ported the stock mani for a bit more flow but I think it work allright. The hole covers about 70-75% of the total surface of the t3 opening.
BlkSerialKilla

That's Just The Nature Of The Beast...

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 03:16:06 PM »

Nice ride man! Geez your car looks like a survivor especially compared to my A4  Shocked. I only got the sad looking sleeper vibe going on lol.
cgramme

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 01:26:40 AM »

Here's a few more shots of the car and the bumper lip build.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: