Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 1.8T GLI flashing?  (Read 16402 times)
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« on: February 23, 2012, 03:25:03 PM »

Buddy of mine has a 1.8T GLI and he want's a little more oomph... and what better way to learn the 1.8T then just diving in to tune it.

That said, it seems like he has an ECU type that was only offered for one year.. in 2004 (06A906032RN).

I'm wondering if I can use and HJ/PL software instead without issue?  If not, does anyone know what I could use since there is no definitions for the RN box?

Also, is there anything else I need to know about when flashing Wideband ECU 1.8T's?  What about issues with immo?

Thanks!

SCHNELL ENGINEERING BLOG ·  STANDALONE ECUS · TUNING · DYNO · WIRING · PARTS · VEMS
Google Talk: NOTORIOUS.VR
n00bs start here: http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning
tobz

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 08:09:37 PM »

Buddy of mine has a 1.8T GLI and he want's a little more oomph... and what better way to learn the 1.8T then just diving in to tune it.

That said, it seems like he has an ECU type that was only offered for one year.. in 2004 (06A906032RN).

I'm wondering if I can use and HJ/PL software instead without issue?  If not, does anyone know what I could use since there is no definitions for the RN box?

Also, is there anything else I need to know about when flashing Wideband ECU 1.8T's?  What about issues with immo?

Thanks!

Shouldn't be immo issues unless you're swapping ECUs.  I successfully flashed my NK box to an HS binary without immo issues or general issues.  NK box is a 2004 AWP, and I think HS is 2002?  I'd say you'd be fine flashing HS to the RN since they're the same model year and both AWPs.

One thing I noticed, though... there is a dip in power around 1800-2000 when 50% throttle or more... maybe it's the HS MAF table not being calibrated for the MAF sensor used in the 2004 MY AWPs... but who knows.

HS seems to be a solid bet since ArgDub has a good OLS file for it... although LP/PL are also options... I flashed an LP binary to my NK box without issue as well.
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 07:58:18 AM »

thank you sir!  that is what I wanted to hear Smiley

SCHNELL ENGINEERING BLOG ·  STANDALONE ECUS · TUNING · DYNO · WIRING · PARTS · VEMS
Gonzo

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 08:35:18 AM »

You will lose cruise control if you flash the wrong SW. You have been warned.
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 11:32:29 AM »

You will lose cruise control if you flash the wrong SW. You have been warned.

Will the cruise come back to life if I flash back the stock SW?

Gonzo

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 05:23:28 PM »

Will the cruise come back to life if I flash back the stock SW?
Yes
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 09:49:33 AM »

Yes

great thank u sir

tobz

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 11:15:04 AM »

Just to note, I didn't lose cruise control by switching to HS.
Gonzo

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 01:32:18 PM »

Just to note, I didn't lose cruise control by switching to HS.
If you flash 5spd software on a 6spd car, the gear ratios will not match and you will lose cruise control. Ask me how I know.
matchew

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 08:44:32 PM »

How do you know? If what you are saying is true, then cruise control wouldn't work when using a 6 speed file on a 5 speed car, and it does.......
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 08:50:36 PM by matchew » Logged
Jefnes

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 08:46:36 PM »

5sp file can be sorted to work just fine on 6sp.
most wont go through the trouble to sort it.

NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 08:02:10 AM »

Tried to read the ECU last night... Nefmoto wouldn't connect... it said reading is blocked (possibly by aftermarket software)... the car feels stock... I'm wondering if it might have been a Revo trial that has since long expired.

NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 07:16:06 AM »

So a small update...

Last night I pulled the ECU from the car, because after trying Nefmoto, KWP2000+ and Galletto (no boot mode) I couldn't connect.

Galletto would report that the ECU is a 400BB flash module actually.

So on the bench in boot mode I was able to pull the existing file correctly w/ Galletto.  It was a tuned file.

I replaced that file with another tuned file w/ no protections, went for a drive and didn't like the way it drove attempted to re-read over OBD while in the car.. nada... same as before.

Also after driving the car, the code had a fault code that came back that originally had put the car into limp mode for the owner after my very first attempted to connect/read w/ Nefmoto a few days ago (P1681).

Code:
16683 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Control Range Not Reached 
        P0299 - 35-10 -  -  - Intermittent
18089 - Control Module Programming Not Finished
        P1681 - 35-00 -  -

Has anyone had this code before?  I'm starting to think there might be an issue w/ the ECU itself.

I have flashed the ECU now (again on the bench) w/ a 100% stock file an both codes above came back after a short drive.

Not sure what's next.

phila_dot

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 07:42:12 AM »

So a small update...

Last night I pulled the ECU from the car, because after trying Nefmoto, KWP2000+ and Galletto (no boot mode) I couldn't connect.

Galletto would report that the ECU is a 400BB flash module actually.

So on the bench in boot mode I was able to pull the existing file correctly w/ Galletto.  It was a tuned file.

I replaced that file with another tuned file w/ no protections, went for a drive and didn't like the way it drove attempted to re-read over OBD while in the car.. nada... same as before.

Also after driving the car, the code had a fault code that came back that originally had put the car into limp mode for the owner after my very first attempted to connect/read w/ Nefmoto a few days ago (P1681).

Code:
16683 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Control Range Not Reached 
        P0299 - 35-10 -  -  - Intermittent
18089 - Control Module Programming Not Finished
        P1681 - 35-00 -  -

Has anyone had this code before?  I'm starting to think there might be an issue w/ the ECU itself.

I have flashed the ECU now (again on the bench) w/ a 100% stock file an both codes above came back after a short drive.

Not sure what's next.

Have you successfully flashed over OBD?

I believe you need to flash over OBD to clear that or I think it can be cleared in the EEPROM.
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 08:55:27 AM »

Ahh..

no none of my current tools seem to work over OBD.. I'm hoping my MPPS will when it arrives but I have no faith lol

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: