Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Flashing .bin with GIAC installed? HELP  (Read 5040 times)
TewSlo

« on: July 15, 2019, 01:03:07 PM »

Hey everyone,

So I picked up a 018S for my '00 TT Quattro of eBay for $100, found a GIAC chip inside after trying to flash it unsuccessfully (kept saying it could not flash). Is there any way to flash my tuned .bin onto the ECU with this chip installed? Or can I pull the chip, flash and replace? It just feels like a stock ECU tune to me, the other tune I have is a lot better. Thanks guys!
TewSlo

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 02:31:38 PM »

Just had to scrub the archives for the original GIAC Flashloader for PC (reuploaded here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/c5o8iyydxfdjerx/flash_loader_switcher_full_105.zip/file), but I found my chip is either locked into one mode (they cost $50-$100 each). Decided to buy some 400BB 90SI chips off of eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/293023383066, just going to pop it in the GIAC slot and retune! $6.50 for each chip, not bad..
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 02:35:21 PM »

If it doesn't have a riser, you can flash over it with bootmode directly.

If it has a riser, remove, replace with blank flash, flash over with tune using bootmode.

If you have an old GIAC riser with a simple socket, you'll want to remove it anyway because you can't write over it via OBD.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
TewSlo

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 03:58:52 PM »

It is installed with a riser, now that I think of it, I will have to install via bootmode.. So I have Galletto 1260 with the proper cable.. Assuming I will need to ground pin 24 and I can flash via ODB II in-car correct?
_nameless

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 04:12:25 PM »

It is installed with a riser, now that I think of it, I will have to install via bootmode.. So I have Galletto 1260 with the proper cable.. Assuming I will need to ground pin 24 and I can flash via ODB II in-car correct?
you need to replace the riser with a normal flash chip in order to flash it. the riser has its own logic and scrambler. bootmode wont do anything for you.

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 04:13:09 PM »

Yes. When I said remove, i mean totally remove the riser.

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
TewSlo

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 05:11:38 PM »

Goddamn, I was looking at it and the riser didn't look like it had any circuitry just a simple riser.. So those 400bb chips I bought aren't going to work... When I got the ECU I thought I lucked out having a $450 chip in it. But, if I can't tune with it it's completely useless to me..
TewSlo

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 05:16:07 PM »

you need to replace the riser with a normal flash chip in order to flash it. the riser has its own logic and scrambler. bootmode wont do anything for you.

From that I see here it is just a simple riser, what I was going to do was pop in the stock chip and flash it. You don't think that will work?

Blazius

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 05:46:19 PM »

From that I see here it is just a simple riser, what I was going to do was pop in the stock chip and flash it. You don't think that will work?

You still need to remove it as nyet said , as it will prevent OBD2 flashing.
TewSlo

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 06:08:58 PM »

Damn, just gonna resell it at this point, thank you guys for all your help! I would maybe keep it if there were tunes installed on it, but it seems as though it was never set up with anything than some unknown tune
Blazius

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 06:42:34 PM »

Damn, just gonna resell it at this point, thank you guys for all your help! I would maybe keep it if there were tunes installed on it, but it seems as though it was never set up with anything than some unknown tune

You cant really, all these company tunes are encrypted and can only be opened with their software , thats located in their HQ, unless you are smart enough to crack them, which is way more work than anyone would put in I guess Cheesy
_nameless

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 06:50:34 PM »

Remove the riser and solder the chip directly to the ecu. Flash it im bootmode

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
TewSlo

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 08:03:25 PM »

Yeah, I'm not too great with soldering..
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 09:34:28 PM »

Yeah, I'm not too great with soldering..

Ditch the ECU, get one that doesn't have a riser.

ECUx Plot

TewSlo

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 10:26:26 PM »

Well fortunately I have a spare 018S ecu with a leg missing off the 400BB chip, so I think I'll give soldering on a new one a shot. I also have spare wiring harness so I will most likely build a bench flasher. I also have a 018M I want to wipe the bootloader off and flash a full 018S as a backup ECU. We'll see what happens
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: