Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tell me if this is possible  (Read 5533 times)
csosnowski

« on: March 16, 2012, 08:02:11 AM »

I bought my S4 with an APR tune already installed. Is it possible to dump my ecu flash and save it, then flash a new tune?

I would like to have the ablilty to keep the stock/APR (its switchable). If I have to I will buy a spare ECU, but Im a little short on funds right now.

Will the APR tune be lost permanently, does this have to be done in boot mode, do I have to flash the 95040 back to a stock one (encryption?)?

Also, if this is an inappropriate question  mods please delete.
SteveAR

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 06:36:23 PM »

I say it's worth it for you to pick up a spare ECM to play with.  If you have a working ECM w/APR tune I would NOT mess with it.  I've been monkeying around with doing this and have already cooked one ECM and one OBD cable.   ECU's are actually cheap, I used car-parts.com to search junkyards and bought one of mine for $175 and one for $125.   Read read read! it takes some time investment in the archive posts to learn about the process.  After three weeks of on and off work tonight I finally successfully read/wrote to the EEPROM of my spare ECM. (where the VIN/IMMO code etc is stored)

The ME7_95040 utility is just meant to read/write to the SPI EEPROM, it's NOT for flashing a entire system/engine file.  For that you need to use the NEFMOTO software, or Galleto cable etc etc.
csosnowski

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 07:24:06 PM »

thanks for the reply.

i have had success flashing my other car (2000 a4 atw) and my wifes mom's allroad (now a L-box s4 lol). i am fairly confident in flashing the ecu's its the damn encryption that these companies use thats exasperating.

youve pretty much confirmed my suspcicons that I will need to obtain a spare ecu to flash various tunes on and just keep the other one for a backup in case something goes terribly wrong.

if there is more information out there about this I would be glad to hear about it.
SteveAR

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 07:30:32 PM »

Well if you have flashing experience than that's definitely a plus. I don't know anything about the encryption that APR (etc) uses.  but they're just trying to protect their hard work so you can't really blame them if they make it hard.   So what year Allroad did you flash? My 2004 Allroad has IMMO3 which has been a slight pain in the butt.   The ME7.1.1 ECU's seem to be alot more finicky than the earlier ME7.1 like in the S4 and APB Allroads.
csosnowski

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 10:27:53 PM »

sure and I can understand that about APR, its a good tune for the general public. I cant fault them for that, ive been driving on it for 1.5 years and its a good tune. the avant is pretty quick lol.

My nana's (wife's mom) allroad is a 2001 which makes it an me7.1.1 immo2. The only problem I ran into was a voltage issue which made a failed flash and i was able to recover by removing power for 45+ mins and then reflashing.

so you have engine code bel and me 7.5?
SteveAR

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 09:19:27 AM »

To the best of my knowledge 01-03 Allroads are engine code APB w/ME7.1 and 04-05 Allroads are engine code BEL w/ME7.1.1. (2.7T only)  My car is a 04' and is labelled 4Z7907551S BENZIN ME7.1.1.  If you got a ME7.1.1 ECU to work in a 01' Allroad color me impressed!
csosnowski

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 03:21:43 PM »

AH yes sorry, me7.1 is my wife's mom's allroad. sorry for the confusion.

It is indeed APB 2.7t. I may have been intoxicated when I wrote that post haha.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: