Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dead cluster on Audi A3  (Read 3468 times)
woj

« on: November 04, 2019, 09:41:33 AM »

I am a complete VAG noob and I am asking this for a friend / neighbor of mine. We also have very limited possibilities to diagnose this (cables / weather / travels / etc.), so if you tell me to connect cable X and run software Y I am probably not able to do it, I have a VAG KKL but I assume this car is past this technology, the car is A3 TDI from 2011.

The car starts and drives, standard OBD2 scan with the Torque app shows no codes in the engine ECU. The cluster is dead - dark, no RPM or speed indications, no display. The indicator control lamps etc. work and as the car starts I assume the immo is fully operational too. The owner claims he has checked the fuses, at least one of them that the manual indicates would be the one. (And I am not even sure if there would be any relays for this on this car). The problem it seems appeared when the cold days came (could be totally incidental though). 

That's all info I have. Are there any obvious simple things / common faults from your experiences that we should check?
woj

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 12:40:31 AM »

Really? No one ever had a dying cluster on a VAG around here...?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 08:52:53 AM »

eventually the connectors to the displays sometimes have issues (at least in the old B5/C6 displays)

i'd guess due to bad luck he lost at least one power/ground connection.

I'd start with one of the standard cluster display replacement services (or DIY) and see if that fixes things.

Having no experience with newer clusters, I can't say more.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: