Pages: [1]
Author Topic: EEPROM SoftcodingID - Confirmation  (Read 3423 times)
bamofo

« on: January 17, 2020, 02:37:15 PM »

Noob Question. Last three Softcoding IDs for the cars ive done have been the same. last one im working on has a completely shit show EEPROM... and the Softcoding code is different. Just confirming the Softcode is just for VAG crap right? or is it used for something else.

MY understanding is it can be whatever i want, most important for immo3 is VIN/SKC/Clustercode/immoid

The rest is just crap... Can someone confirm for me? Thanks in advance

Edit: looks like the softcoding ID is used if they ever have to move ECU's along with the SKC the dealer provides
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 02:42:55 PM by bamofo » Logged
dilly

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 11:59:48 PM »

Noob Question. Last three Softcoding IDs for the cars ive done have been the same. last one im working on has a completely shit show EEPROM... and the Softcoding code is different. Just confirming the Softcode is just for VAG crap right? or is it used for something else.

MY understanding is it can be whatever i want, most important for immo3 is VIN/SKC/Clustercode/immoid

The rest is just crap... Can someone confirm for me? Thanks in advance

Edit: looks like the softcoding ID is used if they ever have to move ECU's along with the SKC the dealer provides
the softcoding is the config kinda for the ecu. telling it if it is an auto,tiptronic or 5 speed, 6 speed and others.
it isn't just crap. go to the coding and it has a list explaining what everything is in vcds.
on my jetta if i switched the coding to 6 speed my cruise control would not work, it would have to stay on 5 speed. although the car was actually a 6 speed to begin with.
bamofo

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 10:50:43 AM »

the softcoding is the config kinda for the ecu. telling it if it is an auto,tiptronic or 5 speed, 6 speed and others.
it isn't just crap. go to the coding and it has a list explaining what everything is in vcds.
on my jetta if i switched the coding to 6 speed my cruise control would not work, it would have to stay on 5 speed. although the car was actually a 6 speed to begin with.

So are you saying the Softcoding ID: 7711 in the system is the key so i "can" softcode in different things in the ECU with VAG Com. OR Are you saying that the Softcoding ID: 7711 is the actual code that tells the car it has a Manual vs an Automatic.

I believe its the first but i just wanted confirmation beforehand.. if i dont get a response this weekend ill go flash mine with the different code and see what happens. Thanks for answering its specifically why i asked it in the noob section.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 01:57:04 PM »

So are you saying the Softcoding ID: 7711 in the system is the key so i "can" softcode in different things in the ECU with VAG Com. OR Are you saying that the Softcoding ID: 7711 is the actual code that tells the car it has a Manual vs an Automatic.

I believe its the first but i just wanted confirmation beforehand.. if i dont get a response this weekend ill go flash mine with the different code and see what happens. Thanks for answering its specifically why i asked it in the noob section.

For each variant possible in the soft coding, the ECU has a different set of maps.

The soft coding tells the ECU what maps to use.

In your example, manual vs auto.

You're thinking of login code, which has nothing to do with soft coding.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
bamofo

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 03:17:45 PM »

For each variant possible in the soft coding, the ECU has a different set of maps.

The soft coding tells the ECU what maps to use.

In your example, manual vs auto.

You're thinking of login code, which has nothing to do with soft coding.

I think we are talking about different things here. when i open the EEPROM with the EEPROM tool there is one setting right after Immo ID: that is Softcoding ID:

One car is Softcoding ID: 7771

One car is Softcoding ID:7711

What your saying and i asked in PM so i could resolve this without more back and forth... is that this softcoding ID is the Car specific ID... so 7771 must be an automatic and 7711 must be the manual?

Ross-tech mentioned, which is whats confusing me, that in order to start coding the ECU (new one), I would need the Softcoding ID: or to setup a new ECU from scratch. It also said i need the SKC.

Please confirm if its the coding id, or the ID of the car which then ill need to do more reading to understand.  End of the day i got no CEL or issues with the car saying that it was 7771 vs 7711... but then again i made all the timing maps and VVT maps the same regardless of Auto reference or manual.
dilly

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 06:48:55 PM »

the "start from scratch" thing you can do is make a virgin immo file and either leave it enabled or disable the immobilizer, your call. of course flash via bootmode and make sure it is checksummed.

can you clarify exactly what your intentions are by getting this info?
just curious. i want to try and help
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 12:07:25 AM »

You may or may not get a CEL if the coding doesn't match the hardware, depending on the severity of what is wrong. Just because you don't get a CEL doesn't mean your coding is correct.

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
bamofo

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 10:34:47 AM »

the "start from scratch" thing you can do is make a virgin immo file and either leave it enabled or disable the immobilizer, your call. of course flash via bootmode and make sure it is checksummed.

can you clarify exactly what your intentions are by getting this info?
just curious. i want to try and help

Im going to answer both reply's at the same time hopefully.

1) If there is somewhere on the site to go reference what the softcoding ID's are then ill go read about it and stop asking here.

2) i have friends locally that have B6 S4's so ive been reading all their EEPROM / ROM's to get all the variations of the ECU's. I have C/G/H/Q/J and off here but its a EURO version.. of the 8E0910560 Rom.

That being said i got a wierd ECU the other day that was an Auto, "not the wierd part". It was labeled as a C that someone crossed out and it said H on the new sticker... but it didnt match any H rom and i could clearly see someone had been in there before because it was the G rom but internally labeled as an H ROM... Long story short i was intrigued to see what happens when i put it on my car. Threw the ECU in and the H code (auto) Version + my EEPROM and it didnt like being on my car because the auto/manual harnesses are different so it had a flapper code and a crank sensor code and codes that id never seen. No big deal, I threw my G rom and EEPROM file on it and the hardware being the same... worked fine.

But after giving the background a little... the answer really is i like understanding 100% of what im doing before i just go do it. I know i started out here on your forum similar to how it works with Subaru... you ask questions and there are some grumpy people and some nice people. Ive met both here as well.  I think the last piece of the EEPROM, well there are 2... but this one is the Softcoding ID:... I just had no reference on your forum of it that i could find. and rosstech site was vague as well.

Lastly, the ECU that im im playing with now, the person wanted to throw a manual into it... which would then make it identical to my car. harness swapped and everything... but this softcoding ID was just staring me in the face, its different 7771 vs my 7711... and i didnt get it. so i thought boy it must be a simple answer and ill ask it here to get a quick response...  Wrong again Sad

I "can not" wait to start working on ME9... lol

nyet that makes sense about the CEL. Would a full scan with the ross-tech cable before with my ecu and after with the other one help me? or will that just confuse the crap out of me more?

Ideally i would love a reference to the softcoding that i can consume because my initial assumption of it being a key was wrong. Thanks both of you for answering.
bamofo

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 11:23:09 AM »

Closing out this thread with the answer. Im not sure if Nyet was suggesting what it might be above or if he answered it and i didn't take it as "the answer" at the time.

Softcoding ID: that is provided in the EEPROM tool (which is awesome), is in the engine section of VCDS. I took before and after with EEPROM changes and then learned that there is a hover section when you place the mouse over the Softcoding that shows all the options you have. (Ross-tech lead me to it).

The difference of 7771 and 7711 is the 3rd digit (7 or 1) which is related to drivetrain in the car (Auto/Manual).

Hope this helps someone someday...
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 11:26:46 AM »

Just to close the loop, B5 ME7.1 2.7t:

https://s4wiki.com/wiki/Engine_recode

ECUx Plot

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: