Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MED9.1 to MED17 upgrade  (Read 4414 times)
kamold

« on: February 20, 2020, 09:01:39 PM »

Hi all,
New to the forum and to ECU stuff in general. 
I have a B6 Passat with BWS 3.6FSI and MED9.
Is anyone familiar with replacing the MED9 with MED17?  I know later BWS in B7 etc use MED17.
It would open up some other possibilities for me due to better software compatibility with some other modules.

Thanks Smiley
prj

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 06:35:43 AM »

New to the forum and to ECU stuff in general. 
replacing the MED9 with MED17?

If you're new, then this is not for you, forget it.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
kamold

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 06:05:42 PM »

Not really helpful...

If I understand the scope of works then I can make the decision if its possible for me to do or not, and draw on the appropriate resources where required.

What I've found thus far is that it may require a new crank angle sensor, new exhaust cam timing adjuster and obviously repinning to the correct connectors (or making an adapter harness).
Immo off or match.
prj

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 02:27:37 AM »

Yes, go on, change that all, then find out that something does not fit or that a trigger angle is different.

Log your car properly.
cherry

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 06:36:24 AM »

Maybe easier and cheaper to buy complete engine package from trash car and sell old stuff. There is still some work with immo then, but should be possible to transfer immodata from med9 to med17. There are enough guys which are able to decrypt / encrypt these data.
_nameless

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 06:47:08 AM »

whats the reasoning for the swap in the first place?

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
kamold

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 02:46:55 PM »

Maybe easier and cheaper to buy complete engine package from trash car and sell old stuff. There is still some work with immo then, but should be possible to transfer immodata from med9 to med17. There are enough guys which are able to decrypt / encrypt these data.

Yes I agree that this might be an easier approach.
kamold

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 02:49:05 PM »

whats the reasoning for the swap in the first place?

There are some software incompatibilities that I've come up against with the old MED9 with other retrofitted modules.
The 7N0 front assist radar expects to see some mMotor_10 messages from the ECU which didn't exist back then, and similarly newer DSG software revisions want to talk to an MED17.
kamold

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2021, 01:29:17 AM »

MED17.1.6 originally from an NMS CDVB.
Couldn't figure out how to fix an issue with brake light test (brake light was always on despite a lot of messing around) so reverted to B7 Passat BWS software on the ECU.
There were only half a dozen wiring changes, then had to change the G28 engine speed sensor as I couldn't rev over 3000rpm without throwing a fault for implausible signal and going into limp mode.
All working now along with 7N0 radar, follow to stop etc.
Project is a success.  Just need to get some time on a dyno to get some logging before doing a tune.
3Wtrs

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 04:30:13 AM »

Don't get upset here. I think those are always the standard answers from prj, nyet etc.  Wink

Don't do that, don't do that, don't do FI to ME7 St10, you can't do that .. blah blah blah. 

What I can say to you, be as detailed as possible. However. Glad to hear you made it!
prj

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 04:36:40 AM »

Don't get upset here. I think those are always the standard answers from prj, nyet etc.  Wink

Don't do that, don't do that, don't do FI to ME7 St10, you can't do that .. blah blah blah. 

What I can say to you, be as detailed as possible. However. Glad to hear you made it!
I've just done stuff for a while and know that these things are lottery.
In this case it was lucky that it was possible by only changing a sensor.

On some newer VR6 you are not so lucky, because the position (angle) of the sensor is different and you need to make a custom bracket at the exactly correct position...

Log your car properly.
kamold

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2021, 05:35:52 PM »

Just saying you're new - forget it doesn't exactly encourage people to try things now does it? Wink
I knew that there was no guarantees of success and I always had a backout plan in place.  But we were stuck in lockdown so had time where the car didn't need to be driven so was the perfect opportunity.
Lots of time spent on comparing wiring diagrams, making spreadsheets etc.
Then lots of help from a friend with ECU sw knowledge and now very happy with the outcome Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: