Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Noob tuner trying to get started with tuning  (Read 6069 times)
TurboSteve

« on: July 04, 2020, 09:14:24 AM »

Hello all,

I have a fiat bravo 1.4 T-Jet 150ps original ME7.9.10. Fitted with a hybrid turbo (custom made in Italy), bigger injectors(not installed yet) and a stage 1 map.

Now I want to change my mapping and have a Kess v2 for flashing on the way (arriving in 2 days).

I'm trying to understand how to get started but don't know what to use honestly (tunerpro, winols?) Free versions?

Also when trying to tune a standard mapping from a 150ps tjet on tunerpro I need xdf files and stuff otherwise I don't know what i'm looking at really. But how does one obtain those?

I'm sorry if one of the above questions is answered already but I'm getting confused as hell.

Thanks in advance!
IamwhoIam

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 09:15:32 AM »

Pay someone to do it properly for you. It sounds like you're almost totally clueless.

I have no logs because I have a boost gauge (makes things easier)
TurboSteve

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 09:18:31 AM »

Pay someone to do it properly for you. It sounds like you're almost totally clueless.

I think I mentioned in the title straight away. Is it wrong for someone to gain some experience in something like this?
RBPE

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 10:52:02 AM »

I think I mentioned in the title straight away. Is it wrong for someone to gain some experience in something like this?

Free winols does nothing for what you'll need it for and proper one is too expensive for self-tuning, hacked version can carry with it caveat's - free Tunerpro is most likely what you want to use.

Commercially, most pro's don't use TP so getting an xdf will likely be a DIY person who's done it, finding an xdf for your's can be impossible, easier to get one near your revision but you'll have to look on the net and then modify locations to suit your actual revision. This is primarily a VAG forum so a DIY Fiat tuning forum might have some if there are any? You'll have to look. Even if you did get a good ols def file you may have troubles with said protections on a pro tune so you'll prob have to revert to stock anyway and the ols file will be pretty much the same as an xdf in theory so you'll prob still be best with making an xdf from it unless you can hack things to bits and use free resources on here like real time monitoring prog's etc.

If you're struggling with deciding this then you'll probably have no chance in the fact that your "tune" on the car may well have some protections - hence why people say "revert to stock and build it from that!" on here. Once it's back to stock then you make your xdf and once you get plenty of maps on it to tweak THEN it's on to Motronic tuning aspects.

Hope that answer's your Q?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 11:15:45 AM »

Nothing wrong with not knowing. But ignoring the reams of information already available and asking questions that are already answered there can be annoying to those of us who spent 15+ years writing things up so they wouldn't have to constantly respond over and over the same way to the same questions asked every week of those 15 years...

It is something that noobs dismiss as petty complaining, and take as an insult.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
TurboSteve

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 11:34:33 AM »

Free winols does nothing for what you'll need it for and proper one is too expensive for self-tuning, hacked version can carry with it caveat's - free Tunerpro is most likely what you want to use.

Commercially, most pro's don't use TP so getting an xdf will likely be a DIY person who's done it, finding an xdf for your's can be impossible, easier to get one near your revision but you'll have to look on the net and then modify locations to suit your actual revision. This is primarily a VAG forum so a DIY Fiat tuning forum might have some if there are any? You'll have to look. Even if you did get a good ols def file you may have troubles with said protections on a pro tune so you'll prob have to revert to stock anyway and the ols file will be pretty much the same as an xdf in theory so you'll prob still be best with making an xdf from it unless you can hack things to bits and use free resources on here like real time monitoring prog's etc.

If you're struggling with deciding this then you'll probably have no chance in the fact that your "tune" on the car may well have some protections - hence why people say "revert to stock and build it from that!" on here. Once it's back to stock then you make your xdf and once you get plenty of maps on it to tweak THEN it's on to Motronic tuning aspects.

Hope that answer's your Q?

This helped alot, thank you very much!
TurboSteve

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 11:37:16 AM »

Nothing wrong with not knowing. But ignoring the reams of information already available and asking questions that are already answered there can be annoying to those of us who spent 15+ years writing things up so they wouldn't have to constantly respond over and over the same way to the same questions asked every week of those 15 years...

It is something that noobs dismiss as petty complaining, and take as an insult.

Yes I understand that very well. It was just that I couldn't figure it out and actually was looking for somebody who could explain me the basics (not for free ofc). Should've been more clear about that.
IamwhoIam

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 12:22:08 PM »

If only you had used the search function of this forum, you'd have already found a TON of somebody's who have already explained ALL the basics left right front and back ever since this forum has been on. What you did instead was to not read any of the stickies, not use the search function and asked to be spoon fed. This particularly pisses me off, probably others too but I'm probably more vocal about it.

I have no logs because I have a boost gauge (makes things easier)
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 12:29:36 PM »

The issue is that there is a TON of content to read. What people invariably ask for is "can you give me the two sentence version".

The answer is, they can't. Literally. There is too much to learn, and most of it isn't learned easily from a 3 minute youtube video.

If you have a strong automotive background, especially in working (mechanically) on forced induction cars or EFI, it helps, even if you have zero computer experience.

And if you have a strong technical background (in particular in control systems, embedded systems, assembly language, etc.) it helps even more, even if you have zero car mechanic experience.

If you have neither, you've a tough row to hoe.

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
TurboSteve

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 12:39:38 PM »

If only you had used the search function of this forum, you'd have already found a TON of somebody's who have already explained ALL the basics left right front and back ever since this forum has been on. What you did instead was to not read any of the stickies, not use the search function and asked to be spoon fed. This particularly pisses me off, probably others too but I'm probably more vocal about it.

If you read what i said to you. I needed to make more clear i was looking for someone to point me in the right direction (in private) not for free.

How you act is just like telling a student in school that he doesn't need a teacher because everything is written in his books.

So if you have the control to delete a post, please go ahead dude.
TurboSteve

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2020, 12:42:11 PM »

The issue is that there is a TON of content to read. What people invariably ask for is "can you give me the two sentence version".

The answer is, they can't. Literally. There is too much to learn, and most of it isn't learned easily from a 3 minute youtube video.

If you have a strong automotive background, especially in working (mechanically) on forced induction cars or EFI, it helps, even if you have zero computer experience.

And if you have a strong technical background (in particular in control systems, embedded systems, assembly language, etc.) it helps even more, even if you have zero car mechanic experience.

If you have neither, you've a tough row to hoe.

Yes I have enough experience to continue with this. As being someone in the automotive industry for as long as i can remember i dont need to be reminded there is no such thing as a 2 min tutorial.
But i've had enough information from this post so it may be deleted if you can do that.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2020, 01:10:43 PM »

No need to delete anything. Just be wary of prj and IawIa, they can be tough critics.

ECUx Plot

woj

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 11:55:11 AM »

For t-jet you can start here:

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=10485.0

though you won't find a tuning recipe there, more like a random collection of observations. Also somewhere there you will find the one freely available map pack for them. It has some errors and misalignments (like most of them I guess), but it will get you started.

And, even though most of the crowd here is VAG boys, there is a critical mass of heavily experienced t-jet tuners too, you just have to ask the right questions and be patient Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: