Pages: [1]
Author Topic: map sensor location?  (Read 3175 times)
Geomeo

« on: October 06, 2020, 06:51:39 AM »

There is a map sensor on the top of the original intercooler on my audi tt (non quattro).  I plan on replacing the intercooler.  Is there anywhere specific the sensor needs to be placed? I'm guessing  it should be closer to the output of the intercooler ?  Anyone know where it's placed on the quattro, because looking at videos on replacing the intercooler they never mention the sensor. 
_nameless

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 07:23:20 AM »

output side of the intercooler

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 03:56:51 PM »

generally right before the throttle body

BTW "MAP" is a misnomer.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Geomeo

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 09:55:33 PM »

My replacement intercooler is like most is going to sit in front of the radiator, so the output of the intercooler sits far away from the manifold kinda more so pointing toward the trans area or drivers side headlight(us).  Being that it’s a non Quattro the manifold or the inlet of the manifold points toward passenger headlight (us). The plan is to utilize the black chassis pipe from the output of the intercooler to run back to the manifold inlet.  I believe it’s the same pipe that interconnects the two intercoolers on the Quattro version.  So is it better to have the sensor closer to the inlet or the outlet?   If I type map sensor Audi TT into google it shows up.  I also type boost sensor Audi TT it shows up,  I am unsure why it’s a misnomer.  I believe you, but yeah I’m not that well versed.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 11:23:53 PM »

It should be near the thottle body.

I also type boost sensor Audi TT it shows up,  I am unsure why it’s a misnomer.  I believe you, but yeah I’m not that well versed.

The M in MAP stands for manifold.

The pressure sensor is not in the manifold. In fact, actual manifold pressure is modeled based on the upstream pressure sensor before the throttle body by calculating pressure drop over the throttle body.

I highly recommend understanding where everything goes and why before starting any tuning.

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Geomeo

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 06:58:53 AM »

So I'm thinking that you would need a pressure sensor after the throttle body to do that. And that there's a distance and radius or area factors involved.  But I don't remember seeing a pressure sensor after the throttle body?  Only the air intake sensor.  Can you explain?
prj

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 09:08:24 AM »

It makes no difference where it is as long as it is between the intercooler outlet and the throttle body.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 12:35:13 PM »

It makes no difference where it is as long as it is between the intercooler outlet and the throttle body.

I trust prj on this, though I was told otherwise by other people.

ECUx Plot

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 12:37:15 PM »

So I'm thinking that you would need a pressure sensor after the throttle body to do that. And that there's a distance and radius or area factors involved.  But I don't remember seeing a pressure sensor after the throttle body?  Only the air intake sensor.  Can you explain?

There is no pressure sensor after the throttle body. That would be a MAP, which you don't have, and the ECU doesn't expect to see, because it models manifold pressure based on the pre-throttle body pressure sensor and a modeled pressure drop over the throttle body.

Which is why i said 'MAP' is a misnomer.

You seem to have completely and totally misread my post Sad

ECUx Plot

Geomeo

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 01:31:55 PM »

Ohh I see.  Wasn't completely misread.  Maybe 80 percent k maybe 85.  It was morning here and there was a line for coffee.  I get it.  Thank you so much!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: