Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: I'm defeated. My R32 golf ME7.1.1 in bootmode is NOT communicating?  (Read 13755 times)
R32Dude

Hi guys, I need some help sorting out my ST10 ME7.1.1 40Mhz type 2, off an R32  mk5 golf.  As a hobby, I want to remap my car, so I purchased an exact match of my ECU from a wrecker.  On the bench, in normal mode it communicates via K line very well with my clone VCDS. It only partially works with a galletto 1260 clone, stalling at 60%.  It didn't at all work with a china kess v2 (didnt try it with CAN, just K).

My main problem is boot mode. I want to back up the flash. After a whole week of trying everything I found on forums I don't know what the problem is but I can't get bootmode to communicate with the galletto clone, or kess v2 clone or ME7eeprom.exe using either the galletto or vcds cables (Me7eeprom connects to computer  VCP com port ok but can't connect to ecu). In bootmode the only communication is with vcds. VCDS connects but has blank or asterixes where normally the ecu info would appear. ( In normal boot  mode VCDS works perfectly) The only way i was able to get it into what i think is this  bootmode was by grounding the flash pin at boot for some seconds. Resistors to ground with or without using a switch for pin 3 to 12v simply booted in normal mode. I tried all methods on the net I could find for this type 2 st10 40Mhz.
So, my question is, how do I know if the china junk is the problem or the ecu has been professionally remapped and is protected or if its me getting it into some weird mode but not the real bootmode? Ive got an oscilloscope but can't afford real tools just for one small hobby, and im not going to remove the flash as I'm not that brave! Btw, I removed and copied the 95160  eeprom  and noticed nothing with the characters revo, giac etc, but I'm no expert.
I can waste more money and get a MPPS clone but is that going Cry to help?
Please give me some ideas!
Cheers
Auriaka

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 11:27:02 AM »

me7eeprom will not read with a galeto cable. It will read with a basic FTDI cable. I juggle 2 cables when prepping stuff for this reason.

me7.1.1 has to have the 000 resistor modified

attached is a post with the resistor marked in attached images

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=6383.0
R32Dude

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 04:30:50 PM »

Hi Auriaka,

Thanks for the advice, I'll check the board on Monday and report back! I came across a photo, with a 000 resistor that needed removal, but the board was not like mine.
Cheers.
R32Dude

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 09:23:14 PM »

My board looks different, but I removed the 000 resistor that appeared very close to the one in the picture in the link.
The ecu doesn't work with that removed. No comms with vcds without pin 24 grounded and no galletto when grounded.
I replaced it with a 1.8k resistor and the ecu works again with normal boot, but no luck in getting into bootmode. It still gets into some mode where communication with vcds is possible but no info is exchaged. No luck with galletto. I tried grounding pin 24 from intervals of 0 to 10 seconds when I apply power to all three +ve wires but it simply goes into that strange mode.
Real bootmode shouldn't connect to vcds with the kwp2000 as far as I understand? Whats going on here?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 09:31:20 PM by OZZIE1 » Logged
Auriaka

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 09:55:15 PM »

vcds wont work in bootmode at all. Thats successful
R32Dude

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 10:16:23 PM »

But it finds the controller and the green and reds lights flash. If I disconnect the Kline it comes up with an error that the engine module is not found. Is that normal for bootmode or should VCDS not connect at all and give an error?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 10:20:03 PM »

VCDS cannot talk to an ECU in bootmode. Not sure what you're trying to do.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
R32Dude

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 10:39:42 PM »

I'm trying to detect if I have the ecu in bootmode or not. I only have clone galletto and vcds.  I have never tried galletto so I don't know if it works but it keeps saying that the ecu is not in bootmode.

I'm hoping that VCDS wont connect so I can say that I have it in bootmode and its the galletto that isnt working.

What is happening instead is that VCDS does indeed connect and communicates but has no data to display. So what mode is the ecu in? Bootmode or normal mode with no access to  internal data? Does the bootmode have any kpw2000 capability at all because the mode I seem to get it in does according to VCDS although blank data is sent back to VCDS.
BlackT

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 01:05:24 AM »

Whitch pins you have connected on ECU? How do you try to do boot mode?
R32Dude

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 01:19:17 AM »

Pins 3,21,62 positive 13.8V
Pin 2 0V
Pin43 K-line

Switch power with pin 24 of the flash at 0V, disconnect after an instant, then if no good, switch off and keep the pin at 0V for 1 second, if no good repeat 2 seconds etc. Up to 10s. after that I kept it permanently at 0V.
I always makes it go into a dumb mode, not bootmode.

I think I'm not in boot mode at all. I hooked up the ocilloscope to the K Line and monitored signals.  Using Galletto in the audi 7.1.1 bootmode selection, a negative pulse about 80us is sent to the ECU and nothing comes back. Then, with me7eeprom.exe usiing the vcds cable in dumb mode a 500us negative pulse is sent and again no response from the ecu.
The ecu responds only the KWP 'wakeup' protocol pulses, which are much wider. So grounding pin 24 is not doing what it is supposed to do.

I wonder if the  P0L.4 pin of the ST10 is actually taken low enough when pin 24 of the 29F800 is grounded on this silly board.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 07:55:27 AM by OZZIE1 » Logged
R32Dude

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 01:12:53 AM »

Ok, I managed to get it into bootmode each and every time i tried (about 20 times).
Using the oscilloscope I discovered that pin 105 of ST10 (P0L.5) was kept at 0V while the it was being reset (when power is  switched on). This prevents the ECU from ever going into bootmode. I removed the 6.8K resistor near that pin. This allows the pin to get the positive voltage it needs. Also, instead of shorting the pad connected to pin 104 to ground (same as grounding pin 24 of the 29F800 but more elegant) I used a 8.3k resistor (4.7k and 10k also worked), which allows the pin to keep doing its job after the booting process. The resistor can be left there or removed after 10 seconds. The 000 resistor removed in my photo above was put back - dont remove it!

Galletto takes less than 3 minutes to read or write the 1M flash.
Boots normal when pin 24 is not grounded by resistor.

ECU is 022906032KG , if anyone in the future searches this post...
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 01:18:08 AM »

Thank you for the update. It is extremely helpful when people follow up and provide solutions.

Also, thanks for confirming you can use a pulldown on P0L.4 and it will continue to function properly. I had been meaning to try it but never did.

For people installing a switch for bootmode, this can be extremely helpful since it means a momentary isn't needed.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 01:21:47 AM by nyet » Logged

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
BlackT

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 02:26:23 AM »

Awesome and detailed info, thank you very much Shocked
R32Dude

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2020, 08:24:33 AM »

Hi guys,
Just to let you know that the ecu is back in the R32 and I am able to flash it in bootmode instead of kess or mpps. Galletto only takes 3 minutes!
 I added to the firewall a waterproof  switch that grounds, via a cable, the boot pin (with the 8k resistor). I also added a socket to feed a  12v source to the ecu pin 21. In essence, by disconnecting the battery and feeding the ecu  12v through two removed fuses in the fuse box  and powering galletto separately, bootmode comes up. So far I uploaded 6 crc checked maps in two days with no probs at all. I use vcds to log parameters since me7logger doesnt like 7.1.1 and use dragy gps, but  have plenty to learn to squeeze a few extra horses from the motor.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 05:09:03 PM by OZZIE1 » Logged
mdccode5150

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2022, 10:15:36 AM »

Thanks for the info. I am dealing with this problem now...I was working on it late last night (mistake), and I think I might of bricked it. It has no communication now. It could have been a funky ecm/ecu thanks eBay seller! I was trying the remove the 000 resistor thing, which didn't work, then I tried to resolder it back and maybe screwed something up.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: