Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Dsicord Servers for ECU hackers  (Read 8162 times)
unicornux

« on: September 13, 2021, 12:09:44 AM »

Hi people.
Is there any discord servers for ECU hackers?
Why does no one start?
d3irb

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 07:38:03 AM »

I'm sure there are plenty of Discord groups out there but they're likely to be invite only. Much like this forum, it is incredibly hard to maintain a good signal-to-noise ratio in any public venue for ECU stuff, or really any kind of work that's at the intersection of really challenging and financially valuable. Too much "can I have filez," "do u have seed/key 4 ecu" type discussion and not enough actual reverse engineering or tuning work. And a Discord would have to be moderated in real-time, too.

I'd be willing to join a public ECU Discord and provide advice and discussion, but I don't think I'd want the job of moderating one!
sda2

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 02:44:16 PM »

We have a Discord for BMW ECU tuning. Feel free to join: https://discord.gg/vdVsypF
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 03:41:31 PM »

I'm sure there are plenty of Discord groups out there but they're likely to be invite only. Much like this forum, it is incredibly hard to maintain a good signal-to-noise ratio in any public venue for ECU stuff, or really any kind of work that's at the intersection of really challenging and financially valuable. Too much "can I have filez," "do u have seed/key 4 ecu" type discussion and not enough actual reverse engineering or tuning work. And a Discord would have to be moderated in real-time, too.

I'd be willing to join a public ECU Discord and provide advice and discussion, but I don't think I'd want the job of moderating one!

i wouldn't mind one either, but i also wouldn't want to moderate it.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Risky

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 04:29:06 PM »

I've thought about this recently as well Grin
R32Dude

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 04:38:02 PM »

Ive been on the net since 92 and let me tell you that so far nothing beats forums for stuff like this. The threads are permanent, the info is there to stay and there is less need to repeat the same questions. Facebook has fucked up most car forums , so I was happy to see this one was still active. However, forums can be slow for quick answers , thats for sure.
Risky

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 04:44:25 PM »

Ive been on the net since 92 and let me tell you that so far nothing beats forums for stuff like this. The threads are permanent, the info is there to stay and there is less need to repeat the same questions. Facebook has fucked up most car forums , so I was happy to see this one was still active. However, forums can be slow for quick answers , thats for sure.

I agree, discord servers can be a shit show as well. I certainly don't blame nyet not wanting to moderate, who would lol. This forum has always been good and has been a ton of help, no reason to move to discord.
unicornux

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 01:19:34 AM »

Every platform that emerges has advantages and disadvantages. you can not eliminate each one for others. So, I think discord helps us access to each other faster with strict rules Smiley
also, you can create channels for different applicants. for example #job #file_Request #seed/key and etc. . .
BlackT

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 06:49:35 AM »

Fast answer=shit answer
prj

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 07:04:06 AM »

Discord has no end-to-end encryption and makes a significant chunk of it's revenue by selling your data to advertising companies.
No thanks.

Forums are a much better format, because the information is search engine indexed and helps a lot more people once it's out there.

I can also count the amount of people on this forum who contribute more than they ask on my fingers.
The rest, OP included only take and do not give anything whatsoever in return.

Funny how these people are also the biggest proponents of such movements - the everlasting desire for instant gratification off of the backs of others.

Let me put it bluntly. I believe I speak for the majority when I say: those of us who have knowledge and experience, also have our hands full with work.
And we do not want people like the OP to have the ability to private message us with requests for information at will.
Even more than that: if and when we want to contribute information, we want to do it in a format that benefits as many people as possible. This forum, and github repos for development are the optimal medium.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 05:22:19 PM »

Forums are a much better format, because the information is search engine indexed and helps a lot more people once it's out there.

This is the primary reason I have avoided any chat type community.

The only reason to use chat is if there is some sort of real project that multiple people are collaborating on, in real time, and even then, they need something like a git repo to properly work together on.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
royce5950

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 06:12:33 AM »

I'm sure there are plenty of Discord groups out there but they're likely to be invite only. Much like this forum, it is incredibly hard to maintain a good signal-to-noise ratio in any public venue for ECU stuff, or really any kind of work that's at the intersection of really challenging and financially valuable. Too much "can I have filez," "do u have seed/key 4 ecu" type discussion and not enough actual reverse engineering or tuning work.

I like the way this was put.

And a Discord would have to be moderated in real-time, too.

Discord has bots that can be programmed and if im not mistaken they can be programmed in pretty great detail in order to moderate efficiently in a similar way that the person who programmed the bot would moderate themselves. Its pretty neat, reddit has same bot technology as discord iirc.

Purchase Tuned Files Ready To Be FlashedFor Audi / VW 1.8T & 2.0T Engines ➡️ TUNEDBYV3@GMAIL.COM
royce5950

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2021, 06:14:34 AM »

This is the primary reason I have avoided any chat type community.

The only reason to use chat is if there is some sort of real project that multiple people are collaborating on, in real time, and even then, they need something like a git repo to properly work together on.

Yeah things like that are totally better suited for private collaborative based environments that are not really the place for open community chat type.. The excessive interjection of completely off topic banter and questions disrupts productivity greatly.

Purchase Tuned Files Ready To Be FlashedFor Audi / VW 1.8T & 2.0T Engines ➡️ TUNEDBYV3@GMAIL.COM
royce5950

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2021, 06:20:06 AM »

Discord has no end-to-end encryption and makes a significant chunk of it's revenue by selling your data to advertising companies.
No thanks.

I can also count the amount of people on this forum who contribute more than they ask on my fingers.
The rest, OP included only take and do not give anything whatsoever in return.

Funny how these people are also the biggest proponents of such movements - the everlasting desire for instant gratification off of the backs of others.

Let me put it bluntly. I believe I speak for the majority when I say: those of us who have knowledge and experience, also have our hands full with work.
And we do not want people like the OP to have the ability to private message us with requests for information at will.
Even more than that: if and when we want to contribute information, we want to do it in a format that benefits as many people as possible. This forum, and github repos for development are the optimal medium.

discord appears to me to be simply a space for people to sit around and hype up things they like.. if your thing is sitting in a chat room going "yay nefmoto" "nefmoto is the shizz" "volkswagen is so tits" "put a turbo on it" "i got banned but i made a new account and hahaha audi > vw... dickbutt" then F yeah discord all the way.. its definitely not the place for educational or technical, forward thinking individuals to help others be sharing knowledge and experience. so I am right there with you on this.

jahko

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2021, 11:37:02 AM »

Never used it, is it like IRC? I'd forgotten about IRC
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: