Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 1.8T AWM A4 B5 K03 Tuning techniques.  (Read 4213 times)
Vollmer

Professional Cat Herder

« on: July 19, 2022, 11:28:40 AM »

01 A4 B5 1.8T AWM Stock K03
Forge Diverter valve - N249 Delete (yeah yeah, I know, put it back) - 3 inch exhaust

Disclaimer:
Learned tuning some 20+ odd years ago with carbs and distributors.
Tuned ECUs, PDMs, and digital dashes for Jap cars for the previous 15 years - Hondata - Haltech - countless piggyback controllers
am a certified A&P mechanic, commercial pilot, and hold science degrees in biochemistry and radio communications.

I have witnessed a few different tuning techniques for the ME7, and each person is entrenched in their ways without the ability to explain; only ridicule others..

My first attempt at tuning this was using a 6$ ebay cable, and a error-filled/broken XDF, which is stupidly password protected.  (Attached)
The 2 search options for this site are miserable, and so is google (18CH isn't specific enough?)
I reached out to him for the password, and he was incredibly condescending and rude.
I would love to buy a nice cable from one of you capable folks, but found none for sale. Why?
I would also love a complete XML that isn't filled with errors or a password.
However, the organization on this and other sites is such complete shit, I have difficulty spending hours sifting through to find 20 incomplete copies because, again, the community, isnt (a community). It's more like a file dump for assholes and scammers from south eastern Europe.

A member who almost never posts here, reached out to work with me. My goal is simple, max out the turbo attached to my car.
Instead he read my tune, (18CHv2CS.bin) and responded with insults that told me nothing,

I told him to give it a go. He produced a tune after 5! attempts that is arguably slower than the tune I made first try. (Bv5CS.bin) While raising my redline on a 240K engine.. as if that was supposed to help?

My method rescaled the load axis, then smoothed the affected tables to increase maximum load from 140->190.. while the other guy only adjusted a few of the boost maps, and moved LDRXN up. I was NOT impressed at all, especially with how arrogant he was.

The fact there is no on-board emulator (Hondata), or map searching software, shows how guarded and insecure this community is, as if you would be worthless to the world if you shared (or sold) your progress.
The Nefmoto software is incomplete!

"Its out there"
"Go read more" etc doesn't help, and only makes it sound like you don't know.
"Go write a program" ... Lol wtf.. come on.. Nobody has ever released a working program to the public, don't put the entire 20 years of failing community on me,. I am no software engineer. Most half-asses here can't even compile their work.
Vast majority of you have never read a book around engines, studied any other forms of motorsports, or even other vehicle platforms, yet are instantaneously rude when talking to others.

Does each tuner do whatever he wants via trial and error? (Who is a tuner accountable to?)
I have NEVER EVER seen a tuner that didn't end up scamming people and produce marginal result.

Had to walk away for a month from this cesspool. Learning I can't count on anyone for anything, and its incredibly disappointing.

Yes I have read the S4 tuning Wiki.
I am not retarded or unable to process information, as I am sure most of you find it easier to dole out a personal insult than address the perceived nastiness and mess this site generates.

I doubt you will take the time to read it.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 07:58:08 AM by Vollmer » Logged

Volvo HALL of SHAME:

Guitar24t aka Robert Hilton
SparkyR aka Brandon Halme
Prometey1982 aka Artem Vasiliev
MAXX ECU - Brett Willet
VIDA Leach - David Leech

Useless Twats:
PRJ - Dmitri from Estonia
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 11:58:34 AM »

The fact there is no on-board emulator (Hondata), or map searching software

Both are demonstrably false.

shows how guarded and insecure this community is, as if you would be worthless to the world if you shared (or sold) your progress.

I have NEVER EVER seen a tuner that didn't end up scamming people and produce marginal result.

Accurate. All public information, code, map packs, wiki information you see on ME7 exists only because I, personally, saw this in 2000/2001, more than 20 years ago. You seem to be completely unaware of this fact. I was literally the first person to gather information from sources who gave me permission to publish, without the secret hand shakes and glass bead trading. Nobody else had done this before me (and then Tony).

still waiting for a MR.

I don't expect gratitude (i get very little given i spent 15+ years compiling it). But what I do expect is help to improve it if you have criticisms. Your own negativity and lack of tact feeds into exactly the negativity you see here. You aren't at all being even remotely helpful and are literally only making things worse, not improving it.

Anyway:

You didn't post a log. What sort of feedback are you looking for?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 12:08:32 PM by nyet » Logged

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
justinvw2646

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 01:07:11 PM »

Instead of complaining that there isn’t a single complete .xdf for your specific ecu, why don’t you take the 20 incomplete versions and compile them into a single good .xdf and then post it for the next guy? I’ve been logged in for nearly 12 days on this site and my tune still isn’t as perfect as I would like it to be. This is a DIY site organized by people that volunteer their time. If it’s not good enough take your complaints to goapr.com cough up $400 and move on.
doublerwest

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 12:42:35 PM »

Both are demonstrably false.

Accurate. All public information, code, map packs, wiki information you see on ME7 exists only because I, personally, saw this in 2000/2001, more than 20 years ago. You seem to be completely unaware of this fact. I was literally the first person to gather information from sources who gave me permission to publish, without the secret hand shakes and glass bead trading. Nobody else had done this before me (and then Tony).

still waiting for a MR.

I don't expect gratitude (i get very little given i spent 15+ years compiling it). But what I do expect is help to improve it if you have criticisms. Your own negativity and lack of tact feeds into exactly the negativity you see here. You aren't at all being even remotely helpful and are literally only making things worse, not improving it.

Anyway:

You didn't post a log. What sort of feedback are you looking for?
Thanks for the hard work nyet!!!

W357
doublerwest

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 12:52:41 PM »

Forge Diverter valve - N249 Delete (yeah yeah, I know, put it back) - 3 inch exhaust

Disclaimer:
Tuned ECUs, PDMs, and digital dashes for Jap cars for the previous 15 years - Hondata - Haltech - countless piggyback controllers
am a certified A&P mechanic, commercial pilot, and hold science degrees in biochemistry and radio communications.

I have witnessed a few different tuning techniques for the ME7, and each person is entrenched in their ways without the ability to explain; only ridicule others..

My first attempt at tuning this was using a 6$ ebay cable, and a error-filled/broken XDF, which is stupidly password protected.  (Attached)
The 2 search options for this site are miserable, and so is google (18CH isn't specific enough?)
I reached out to him for the password, and he was incredibly condescending and rude.
I would love to buy a nice cable from one of you capable folks, but found none for sale. Why?
However, the organization on this and other sites is such complete shit, I have difficulty spending hours sifting through to find 20 incomplete copies because, again, the community, isnt (a community). It's more like a file dump for assholes and scammers from south eastern Europe.

A member who almost never posts here, reached out to work with me. My goal is simple, max out the turbo attached to my car.
Instead he read my tune, (18CHv2CS.bin) and responded with insults that told me nothing,

I told him to give it a go. He produced a tune after 5! attempts that is arguably slower than the tune I made first try. (Bv5CS.bin) While raising my redline on a 240K engine.. as if that was supposed to help?

My method rescaled the load axis, then smoothed the affected tables to increase maximum load from 140->190.. while the other guy only adjusted a few of the boost maps, and moved LDRXN up. I was NOT impressed at all, especially with how arrogant he was.

The fact there is no on-board emulator (Hondata), or map searching software, shows how guarded and insecure this community is, as if you would be worthless to the world if you shared (or sold) your progress.

"Its out there"
"Go write a program" ... Lol wtf.. come on.. Nobody has ever released a working program to the public, don't put the entire 20 years of failing community on me,. I am no software engineer. Most half-asses here can't even compile their work.
Vast majority of you have never read a book around engines, studied any other forms of motorsports, or even other vehicle platforms, yet are instantaneously rude when talking to others.

Does each tuner do whatever he wants via trial and error? (Who is a tuner accountable to?)

Had to walk away for a month from this cesspool. Learning I can't count on anyone for anything, and its incredibly disappointing.

I am not retarded or unable to process information, as I am sure most of you find it easier to dole out a personal insult than address the perceived nastiness and mess this site generates.

$800.00-Eurodyne Maestro Tuning Suite Performance Software. Not every tuner is the same please keep that in mind also if the German companies wanted folks tinkering with there stuff they would have built audidata cable and software just sayin! Im not here to pick a fight or slander or talk shit just giving you an option that may match up to your needs!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 12:57:31 PM by doublerwest » Logged

W357
_nameless

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 01:18:01 AM »

Disclaimer:

"Its out there"

What a absolute joke Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy was good for a laugh. LDRXN LAMO.. wtf Huh Huh Lamfa is too rich aside from full throttle, bts is stock, you removed timing from the wrong ignition map... Didn't feel the need to further waste my time looking at shit, but many more errors exist.  Funny how assholes have the balls to make a post like this, literally only to talk shit on the efforts others. The "masterpiece" of a file included is absolute shite.

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
Vollmer

Professional Cat Herder

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 11:52:03 AM »

I appreciate you calling it a masterpiece!, it was my second attempt at a tune on ME7, ever.

It is funny how assholes have the balls to make a post like this, literally only to talk shit on the efforts others
I have -69 at the time of writing this post. (Nice!) Trying to catch up with you. -295

From the S4 Wiki: (More helpful than your posts)

Specified load/boost will never exceed these limits (whichever is lower):

LDRXN - maximum specified load
    KFLDHBN - maximum requested pressure ratio

I wanted as much boost as the turbo could make.

"Specifically, on a full throttle pull, your boost profile will follow LDRXN or KFLDHBN, whichever results in a lower requested load. "

Following this logic, the LDRXN is fine. Which the car ran, fine.

I asked how to know if all of your arrogant ways were in fact the "right" way to tune,
or if it is a stylistic preference? Nobody here is using Bosch software, and these are all hacks..

As for tuning the wrong ignition map, that's understandable, as it was my second attempt at ME7, ever.

I did not change BTS because my car does not have an EGT sensor. There is a section on EGT sensor removal, so I would expect my car to not calculate it.
I wasn't aware of ME7 pulling an EGT number out of thin air, now I can address it.

I followed the wiki and went around this un-searchable site following all the guides and write ups, only to be met by unhelpful rude folk like yourself.
I'm glad you had a laugh,

Volvo HALL of SHAME:

MAXX ECU - Brett Willet
VIDA Leach - David Leech

Useless Twats:
SparkyR

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2022, 03:06:29 PM »

LDRXN = desired load. Which will limit the output from KFLMIRL (which will also limit boost pressure if your LDRXN is higher than KFLMIRL)
Your Ldrxn should follow the characteristics of the turbo within reason so you don't trigger limp mode from positive and negative deviations from EDLDRP and KFDLULS

Desired boost pressure comes from approximately 10*(ldrxn)+300mbar

wastegate duty cycle will be outputted from KFLDIMX but will vary based on the cars PID control to keep target and actual boost pressures ridding together

KFLDHBN is a safety for not overspinning your charger. The ecm will regulate the boost pressure if it determines that the pressure ratio is exceeded from your input value (i usually input from the compressor map of the turbo selection)

During my phone call with you when i had tuned your car you had laughed at the modeled egt. This egt is what i was meaning. Tabgbts is the Parameter you will see in a log

as far as map changes you make,  I always look at look at 3d for every change to ensure i am not creating a hole in the map as you see in KFZWOP under high load/ high rpm

KFZWOP is for maximum timing that the ecm can output, KFZW is what you should be using for outputted timing without intervention from knock. also not sure if its the correct way or not but i always keep KFZW 1 and KFZW 2 identical

For fuel enrichment you use Lamfa for driver demanded Lambda. this works until your modeled egt exceeds Tabgbts in your xdf then it will kick into KFLBTS. (unless in a volvo s60r they had used KFLBTS solely not lamfa)

i usually use Lamfa and then KFLBTS as a Cylinder over temp protection to quench the temp using tabgbts at 900-950 degrees c... Unless I'm setting up Knock based enrichment

Careful with adding more boost your injector duty cycle was at 85 percent when requesting 0.82 lambda. Also i was requesting 88 percent wgdc on the latest tune i had provided for you but I was also attempting a method of boost control I've used on Many Volvos (learned from contrast) with success but never used on an Audi before this attempt (I call it semi feed forward) where the you will run off the end of KLFDIMX when you exceed HPA set in the last column specified in KLFDIMX, boost will then be controlled via KFLDRL in the 100 percent %LDTVR row but act normal under non wot conditions. This method will change how ldrxn is used though instead of a requested load it will be a overload protection for spike this will require you to numb your I in the PID of the car.... i was not finished with this tune before i couldn't take the negative outlook you have towards everything. I don't need another Needy Girlfriend in life. I never took money from you doing this. I was only attempting to help you with ME7 and getting you help tuning your own Volvo but unfortunately you had ruined that for yourself. Sort of like an apprentice type deal.

This may help you.  I find the WIKI located in Nefe slightly easier to read as its not a list of everything slightly categized per module you are trying to work on.

http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki/index.php/ME7_Tuning_Information

« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 09:04:00 PM by SparkyR » Logged

2005 S60R m66, Xona Rotor 7864, turbosmart 45mm wastegate, id1700cc injectors
_nameless

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2022, 08:19:56 PM »

It is funny how assholes have the balls to make a post like this, literally only to talk shit on the efforts others
I have -69 at the time of writing this post. (Nice!) Trying to catch up with you. -295

I mean you are up to -75 currently. At your current rate im sure you will surpass me soon enough  Cheesy. You come in all hot and heavy, shit all over the efforts of others, what do you expect? My spites are from asshat noobs like you who who soon after fade away. Couldn't care less about it as it truly means nothing, makes me laugh.

I asked how to know if all of your arrogant ways were in fact the "right" way to tune,
or if it is a stylistic preference? Nobody here is using Bosch software, and these are all hacks..
The  FR is public. Meaning the entire logic and most prevalent modules have been documented and translated to english, what more could you possibly want? Also, wtf does using bosch software have to do with anything? 

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
quattro85

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2022, 10:10:12 PM »

Are you sure about those things?
LDRXN = desired load. Which will limit the output from KFLMIRL (which will also limit boost pressure if your LDRXN is higher than KFLMIRL)
Your Ldrxn should follow the characteristics of the turbo within reason so you don't trigger limp mode from positive and negative deviations from EDLDRP and KFDLULS

I was thinking LDRXN should follow characteristics of the engine - how it was designed to deliver power. And KFLDHBN is a safety to follow characteristics of the turbo in order not to over spin it.

KFZWOP is for maximum timing that the ecm can output, KFZW is what you should be using for outputted timing without intervention from knock. also not sure if its the correct way or not but i always keep KFZW 1 and KFZW 2 identical

I don't think KFZWOP output anything related to ignition advance. KFZWOP is there for calculation of combustion efficiency, based on how much actual ignition advance differentiate from KFZWOP.
If KFZW1 should be equal to KFZW2 - then why there is two of them and everywhere I saw them they are not equal?
One is for fully advance position of intake camshaft and another one for fully retard position. And yes - there is difference in how well cylinder is filled in both positions => KFZW1/2 shouldn't be equal.
Ok on some old engines maybe only one is used => why to change something that will never be used?

Quote from: Vollmer
I did not change BTS because my car does not have an EGT sensor. There is a section on EGT sensor removal, so I would expect my car to not calculate it.
I wasn't aware of ME7 pulling an EGT number out of thin air, now I can address it.

Because your engine doesn't have EGT sensor it doesn't mean never will follow LAMBTS.
In fact maybe after first few seconds of WOT run it will be there.

As SparkyR already explained there is a model of EGT, so you have calculated EGT (not measured by a sensor).

SparkyR

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2022, 05:57:29 AM »

Yes ldrxn should follow characteristics of the engine but when fitting a large turbo your air flow will be delayed therefore you have to account for this in your ldrxn 

KFZWOP = optimum ignition set point in a log. I understand this to be maximum best torque for your engine and fuel selection

Almost every tune I’ve seen all of the kfzw were identical but I’m coming from Volvo they must not use these features that these maps offer. But also there’s 4 of them in volvo

Vollmer

Professional Cat Herder

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2022, 09:54:44 AM »

K03 is one of the smallest turbos.
Maximum request from 0 RPM IS Logical.
Lock the WG shut until boost is reached.
This is how I would operate any ECU.
I would boost the top port of an EWG, if I could. Or fill a boost reservoir tank, or activate VVT, or SAI. Or rotational idle. All possible with ME7
Anything to get the compressor moving.

Is LDRXN not a "Request"?
I "request" full boost at Idle.

Thought you had "a whole 3 years" global experience to reflect on? Now you say your knowledge is limited to Volvos...

If my 2nd attempt ever, was such trash, and you couldn't best it in 5 tunes, (Which you started messing with stupid shit, like MAX RPM).. Why would I waste my fuel and time on you? Let alone pay you.?
I don't want you to blow up my dinosaur car, "Learning" whilst being a dick.
Especially since I wasn't "allowed" to ask questions, and you were threatening to block me.. Who you callin' a girl? Why didn't you block me?
Never seen you post here, and now you're here every day.. "Huh". Up my ass.
Go buy a B5 and blow it up. 

Calculated EGTs is a huge laugh. Always will be.
There is such a variance in calculation. Inaccurate AF.
Once "Modeled EGT" passes some ambiguous data point, that will likely be fudged to get the desired results..

"ME7.1 has a two point variable cam timing system; there is a base timing map for each cam timing state based on KFNW:

KFZW - VVT via KFNW inactive (fnwue=0, wnwi/wnwise=0)
    KFZW2 - VVT via KFNW active (fnwue=1, wnwi/wnwise=22)
For high RPM regions, KFNW is usually 0, so it is generally sufficient to restrict changes to KFZW and leave KFZW2 alone unless you are tuning areas < 3800 RPM "

KFZWOP/KFMDS - Re-interpolate if you alter the KFMIOP load axis --  Which I think I did?

Running a value off then end of a map, is the most... stupid.. thing I could ever imagine.
Under NO circumstance do I want anything running off the end of a map.
Avoiding rescaling axis is a hack at best.
You're lucky the ECU holds the final value, instead of defaulting to NULL or ERROR.

I am not sure if any of you read what you preach..
Have either of you even READ the S4 wiki..? Or a Bosch ECU system book, Or Craig Smiths Automotive hacking book. Corkey Bell Maximum boost. Or anything...?

It is clear we agree there are different methods of tuning, and that reflects my initial frustration from the beginning, that tuning is an "Art" and each person does it differently. Controlling who does and doesn't get to try it their way (by gatekeeping stolen/hacked/illegal software), doesn't help the community invite new tuners with different tuning strategies.

This brings me to another point that Nameless seems to miss (Because it's obvious he hasn't read)

Bosch programs these ECUs with a "Suite" where major engine parameters and characteristics are entered, and a large portion of these maps and value are calculated by an algorithm to fit and work with each other. Several maps are inverse relations of each other, and there is no way each cell was programmed individually. On the newer cars, there is 10's thousands of maps, most of which are calculated by an AUTOMATED dyno process, where the car, dyno output, and emissions output are all linked, and AI calibrate the cars to perform the best output that satisfies design conditions. It is literally impossible for a single person to have made these calibrations. by hand. Especially "remote" tuning from their basement.

So get off your high horse and accept the reality that we are all "Hacking" shit.. Im SURE the FR doesn't call for running off ends of maps, or "Numbing" the integral boost control term. Everyone has a method and strategy, and we should be investigating new ways to achieve results from these 20-30 year old platforms. What pisses me off, is when people like SPARKYR REFUSE to share his illegitimate ways of tuning the Volvo ECUs  - because he doesn't want any competition to his, again IMO, garbage, smoked out tunes. I, and others are not able to tune Volvos because we have Dickweeds like Prometey and his Secret stolen software, and SparkyR with his hacked illegal BS. But I can finish this thought in the Volvo thread.

Isn't this a community forum?
Or is it a place for arrogant members to circle jerk each other and sit in the same old stinky shit for 20 years.
Still can't agree on the function of the most basic ignition and boost request maps. Litterally the point of this post. Everyone tunes different, and everyone thinks they are gods.
SMFH

Volvo HALL of SHAME:

MAXX ECU - Brett Willet
VIDA Leach - David Leech

Useless Twats:
SparkyR

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2022, 10:51:56 AM »

From my reading and search through many me7 tunes many manufacturers use different methods of control for boost pressure, Some use KFLDRL as the linearization and some use KFLDIMX as the linearization. My method just mixes the two. If you search the FR and analyze the code. KFLDIMX outputs to KFLDRL axis. so there’s no wrong in doing this as it’s a stylistic method of one individuals interpretation of the code.  There’s hundreds of different methods to control boost pressure and fuel enrichment so there is no one  correct way if it does the same job as the next method. I also find that KFLDRL contains more resolution between the rows than KFLDIMX.

Just using ldrxn will not completely force the wg closed. You also have to adjust KFLDIMX OR KFLDRL depending on your strategy you prefer.

With the ecu calculating the egt is why I prefer lamfa and using bts as a over temperature safety

You had removed optimum ignition timing from high load,high rpm.

Re-interpolating the load axis means to extend the load axis to gain resolution of ignition timing if you are requesting more air flow than the ecm was configured for. With your xdf being lock this isn’t something you are able to do.

My software isn’t stolen from any one it just resembles some of the code. No where in any way does it resemble hiltons or specifiy him in the code.

This is why I always say to teach someone how to tune me7 takes 3000 hours but to learn it yourself it takes 1000 hours.  The ecm is so complex that literally nothing makes sense until you struggle through a problem, code

_nameless

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2022, 12:03:41 PM »

K03 is one of the smallest turbos.
Maximum request from 0 RPM IS Logical.

If you would like to bend a rod, sure.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 12:06:04 PM by _nameless » Logged

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2022, 12:05:33 PM »

IRL/IOP (they are inseparable) is to give the same feel across all conditions part throttle, HBN is to prevent going out of the efficiency island entirely (or into overspin/surge)

IMO

prj will no doubt disagree.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: