Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: rs4 decoding  (Read 39689 times)
jibberjive

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2012, 04:23:54 PM »

Awesome thread.  I stumbled by this, and I'm glad I did!

the most difficult engineering issue i've come across relates to the timing curves and cam switching.
Yeah, one night I set off to learn what I could from the RS4 cam switching to try to apply the RS4 stuff to my big port head and RS4 cam-like setup, and I found out that we can't really interpolate, or even correlate really, values for the cam switching maps from the RS4 to the S4. 

Where the S4 pretty much uses:

KFNW
KFNWWL

The RS4 has all sorts of maps, and obviously a scheme of how they all work together (around pg 809 in the FR):

KFNWWLE   Cold engine
KFNWSE   Hot engine
KFNWKRE   Knocking
KFNWWLLE   B2 cold engine
KFNWLLE   B2 warm engine
KFNWKHE   Cat heating
KFNWKHLLE   Map for cam spread in cat heating on B2

« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 04:28:45 PM by jibberjive » Logged
s5fourdoor

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 06:18:45 PM »

Absolutely right.  There's a totally different system on the RS4 which is noticeably more complicated.  I tried to just stick to the easiest route, after which I just modified the expected ZWGRU switchover points, so nothing looked crazy abrupt.
jibberjive

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2012, 06:58:58 AM »

I would expect alot of changes would be required to account for the differences in the engine.
When I first thought of this, I was worried about that too (regarding changes in VE due to cams, compression ratio, heads, etc), but then I thought about all of the big turbo tuner APB cars that have engine mods such as 3.0 engines running big port heads, 8.7-9.3 compression ratio, all running really well on the modified stock m-box code (meant for small port 2.7 with 9.3 CR and tame cams).  Other than maybe a few tweaks like the oil temp thing listed here, I think the K-box code would be adaptable and work very well, even on a stock APB engined (or whatever) car. Just my feeling about it.

My car is originally K-Box, but M-Box to K-Box needs 95040 flash and immo delete AFAIK.
Do you by chance have the dump from a K-box 95040 saved that you can share?

Considering the amount of time i've wasted copying F box PID stuff to my base mbox k04 file, i'd say using k-box as a starting platform would be a great idea.

I just need to get prj's xdf into a usable (pared down, english, foldered) .kp

I don't want to duplicate work, but let's divide and conquer this thing, if possible.  Let me know if/how I can help aid the work in transitioning over to a K-box.

If I can find a k-box 95040 file, I'll probably try getting this at least running on my currently M-box S4 soon.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2012, 08:12:17 AM »

Welp, I'm super busy so I don't really have time to commit to this effort anyway.

The best thing would be to simply take the current .kp and make a k-box kp out of it Smiley

work your way down the list...

IF i have time, i'll work my way UP the list Smiley

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
jibberjive

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2012, 12:48:38 PM »

Welp, I'm super busy so I don't really have time to commit to this effort anyway.

The best thing would be to simply take the current .kp and make a k-box kp out of it Smiley

work your way down the list...

IF i have time, i'll work my way UP the list Smiley
That would be done by taking the current m-box .kp (can you link me to it? I only have the one from 3/28/2011.) and hand editing every map to put in the addresses that are shown in the K-box XDF?  Why would we go from an XDF, to a .kp by hand, to port it back to an XDF?  I wouldn't be surprised if there's something I'm not getting.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2012, 12:56:57 PM »

Because many people find winols to be a better tool than tunerpro.

If all we wanted was a pretty xdf, I could actually automatically convert the m-box xdf to k-box using the prj's defs (using mesim), but it would take work.

Alternately, I could take prj's xdf and filter out the maps NOT in my xdf ... also automated..

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
jibberjive

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2012, 01:19:16 PM »

Ah, I was assuming a nice, full XDF was the end goal, not a .kp.  I personally prefer the ease of use of tunerpro for the tuning aspect, so a nice XDF would probably be my main goal.  Since you've got automated tools and skills that render any of my possible contributions obsolete (with regards to developing the definition files), I'll probably not spend 10's of hours of doing something that would likely be done in minutes by you ha.

For now, I've got enough definitions to get me started, so I think this will be my personal game plan:

1. Search for a K-box 95040 dump.
2. While searching for a K-box 95040 dump, I'll modify a stock K-box bin with my fueling/MAF stuff and flash it onto an ECU with an M-box 95040, to see if the K-box 95040 is necessary and to try to get the tune at least running on the car.
3. Once running, I'll add maps into the XDF as I need them (and as I'm able to find them), and try to start incorporating one-by-one the different tweaks from my current M-box tune.

That's my tentative plan of attack anyways.
prj

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2012, 02:07:06 PM »

I'll pull the 95040 off of my car for you, but it won't happen until 6th of August.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
jibberjive

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2012, 02:31:14 PM »

I'll pull the 95040 off of my car for you, but it won't happen until 6th of August.
Thanks for you help!
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2012, 02:32:16 PM »

That would be done by taking the current m-box .kp (can you link me to it? I only have the one from 3/28/2011.)

http://nyet.org/cars/files/

ECUx Plot

RS4boost

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2012, 02:44:25 PM »

Hi guys,

I have uploaded my complete 551K .kp and .ols file with more than 3.300 maps and values here:

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=2306.0title=

Have fun and I hope you like it...

regards

Thomas
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 02:49:46 PM by RS4boost » Logged

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2012, 02:57:03 PM »

WOW excellent! I will take a peek time permitting.

ECUx Plot

jibberjive

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2012, 03:19:14 PM »

Killer post Thomas!
jibberjive

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2012, 03:22:55 PM »

Thomas just uploaded the K-box RS4 EEPROM flash as well, here:

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=2308.0title=

Looks like we just made the switch to K-box Grin
RS4boost

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2012, 03:26:08 PM »

Killer post Thomas!

Thanks,