Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MAF scaling vs recalibration?  (Read 10554 times)
Bettonracing

« on: October 09, 2010, 10:55:38 PM »

There seems to be two school of thoughts regarding tuning with larger MAF sensors:
1) Rescale the larger MAF so the min & max value remain the same. I.e. don't care if You're
using a 75mm, 80mm or 90mm MAF, they all read 0 to ~380g/sec). They claim there are way too many maps that will need to accomodate the new MAF readings.

2) Recalibrate the MAF settings in the ECU to read accurate airflow values. I.e. The larger the MAF, the higher the max airflow value (typically). Using turbo(s) that legitimately pull more than 380g/sec, use an appropriately sized MAF (e.g. 90mm), and recalibrate the ECU  to read accurate values (e.g. 500g/sec). The ME7 Guru claims there are only 3 maps that require adjusting to accomodate the new values.

It seems that most - if not all - the existing tuners prefer to use strategy #1, likely because it's easier to do (especially considering the variables). Conceptually speaking, the self-tuned community is in a more convenient situation to use strategy #2.

Questions:

a) Is there a legitimate advantage to having the higher resolution of strategy #2? Higher resolution feels like the natural progression, but we're already talking about a high rate of resolution already. Can we define exactly what we're gaining?

b) Which maps need to be changed? Can the strategy #1 camp prove that more than 3 maps need to be changed?

c) Can anybody confirm how the B5 S4 compares to the B5 RS4 in this regard

Voice Your opinions.

Regards,

H. Kurt Betton

P.S. I plan to post this on one of (some of?) the regular forums to get some other input. I'll do my best to interlink the conversations.
Rick

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 12:48:46 PM »

I am planning on using an RS4 MAF and housing,

as posted in another thread, these are the maps that need changing:

-MLHFM
-MLOFS
-KFMLDMN
-KFMLDMNX
-KFKHFM

Rick
Bettonracing

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 07:46:22 PM »

Thanks Rick. Can You point me to the thread You alluded to?

Regards,

H. Kurt Betton
M007

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 01:06:06 PM »

I'm using an A-Box and H-Box ECU that had been modified to run the RS4 program along with the RS4 MAF, the RS4 injectors, the RS4 y-pipe, the RS4 intake camshafts, and the RS4 airbox, and the RS4 valve actuator inside the airbox. 

Data logging with ECU Explorer I have recorded approximately 410-415 grams per second.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: